Investment Banking career (1 Viewer)

theMoment

HSC
I've done some research into this career but I'm still not sure about which degrees are looked favourably upon..

Some help?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I've done some research into this career but I'm still not sure about which degrees are looked favourably upon..

Some help?
You need a top tier university (UNSW/USyd). Between the 2 there's no real difference. Next is degree. Comm Majoring in Finance is almost a given, Actuarial as a 2nd major is also a good choice (they like Maths), alternatively Accounting. Law/Engineering are good 2nd degrees to do, depending on whether you prefer Maths or Essays and shit.

You will need quite a few extracurriculars, and do well in them. Like President of Knitting Club is great, but ballboy for the Uni Rugby team not so much.

Be prepared to get a 75+ WAM at least (80 preferable), and to work ridiculously long hours (90/week is the norm). Also you WILL need internships, which you will get into based on Uni/Degree/Extracurriculars. Related work experience (Law firms/Accounting etc).

Also you will need to be quick at basic maths (x^3/5 = 405 find x in 8 seconds) and go through hoops of testing eg Psychometric testing (to see if you can handle it)

Renumeration is excellent, starting around the $95k mark + bonus (normally~30%) + super + holidays (which you WILL NOT take or you will probably be sacked).

Home is for sleeping and nothing else, typical work day is 7am-midnight, 5 days a week, and you could be called in on Saturday if it's a big project.

Help enough?

P.S. I have shadowed bankers etc and this is the career I want to go for, so any other questions, bounce them by me via PM.

twistedrebel

HSC
duckcowhybrid nailed it. Most think investment banking is 9-5, etc. Also so true about the holiday thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)