Investment Banking Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

RIZAL

HSC
mitsui said:
ohhhhh jealous!! lol

do share your wisdom and stuff. macq is like my dream firm atm. :rolleyes:
Why, of all firms, is mac bank your dream firm?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
exactly, there are heaps of better and much larger investment banks out there. everyone seems to love mac cause its australian and endorsed in australia o__o. otherwise, its crap compared to the global banks

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Macq Bank offers much more execution experience. Only UBS would be able to rival it in Australia. At some of the other banks, you probably won't even close one deal in your first year depending on which team you're in. In Macq, you'll have deals at the end of your first year regardless of which team you're in.

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
Macq also acts as principal in many of it's deals. That is, if you come up with a great idea but no client wants to do it (esp in today's environment) and there's no-one to advise, Macq just advises itself and buys into deals/companies it thinks are great ideas (as opposed to just pitching externally and hoping someone likes your idea).

Thats my 2 cents. I guess theres people here with alot more experience at other firms so they probably have something to say as well.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Mac bank is also pretty creative in the sense that it has a new deal team in its MacCap advisors area, it is called the Climate Change team and it does deals that involve renewable energy and emission trading. It really puts Green into Investment banking, how creative is that?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
^ lots of organisations also have climate change teams and have policies to deal with emissions and all that and also relate their services to climate change as well

jynxe

HSC
leoyh said:
exactly, there are heaps of better and much larger investment banks out there. everyone seems to love mac cause its australian and endorsed in australia o__o. otherwise, its crap compared to the global banks

leoyh, it's fantastic that you're interested in IB, but you really do sound like you're just parroting what you've heard from other people about Banks and Mac.

Yes, Mac isn't as big globally as some of the Wall Street or Swiss Banks, but how are you qualifying that the others are necessarily 'better'? Particularly in the context of a Summer Internship for Australia?

Stick to your HSC for now, enjoy the end of yr 12 and Schoolies, and do a bit of your own research. Don't be a sheep :)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Better in terms of clientele and size. thats how i see it

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Penultbolt: Are you Aman S from BHHS?

jynxe: It's ironic that you call Leo a sheep, when it's the sheep that flock to macquarie.

Surely there are better banks overseas, but I think Macq is one of the better ones in aus because:

Points listed before
More chance to get in (face it, most people wont get more than 1 offer).

jynxe

HSC
velox said:

jynxe: It's ironic that you call Leo a sheep, when it's the sheep that flock to macquarie.
True. It doesn't make the choice to go there any less valid though.

I like that Macquarie takes more people simply for the fact that there's going to be more interns and young people around. Hey, it's the only offer I got, but since I'm not penultimate, I can wait until next year to fight it out for the 'better' ones =P

victoriachailh

HSC
Anyone gone through Credit Suisse second-round interview yet?what questions do they normally ask in the second round?

3li

HSC
N/A
doing mine this tuesday

is it for hk?

also how many rounds are therE?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Well doing summer internship is probably bettter to do it at a global bank because it's not like you'll really work on anything serious during the time. Thus having something like GS or JPM looks way better. Every bank you interview at after your SA knows you did very little during the internship. If you put something like the BG/Origin deal on your resume from a summer internship and try to dress it up, you risk looking like a bs artist.

For full time, you go Macq because you actually get to drum up your resume. Everyone does modelling/pitchbook but when you can tie it onto closed deals, it really helps.

victoriachailh

HSC
so......nobody knows how the second-round interview with credit suisse would be like???

victoriachailh

HSC
Hey does anyone know how the final round is like with credit suisse??enlighten me pls!mine's tmr!!

BeeCom

HSC
Has anyone heard anything from Deutsche Bank about 2nd round interviews?

3li

HSC
N/A
ne1 got an offer from cshk?
victoria?

HSC
velox said:

Surely there are better banks overseas, but I think Macq is one of the better ones in aus because:

Points listed before
More chance to get in (face it, most people wont get more than 1 offer).
yep peanutbolt=aman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)