Investment Banking Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
it took 2 weeks for some of my friends (non-IB applicants). different departments have their own timetables so dw too much.

c2643c

HSC
peanutbolt said:
it took 2 weeks for some of my friends (non-IB applicants). different departments have their own timetables so dw too much.
Yeah I heard MacBank take their time lol... but i was expecting HR interview to get back to me within 2 days. Clearly not.... the suspense is killin me though! :(

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
c2643c said:
Yeah I heard MacBank take their time lol... but i was expecting HR interview to get back to me within 2 days. Clearly not.... the suspense is killin me though! :(
lol i know how it feels :p
but seriously though, if you've applied for non-IB and they haven't called u back then it's completely normal.
you might even get lucky, one department i know didn't even do final round interviews, just offered based on 1st round+psych (this happened this year, dunno about past years).

c2643c

HSC
peanutbolt said:
lol i know how it feels :p
but seriously though, if you've applied for non-IB and they haven't called u back then it's completely normal.
you might even get lucky, one department i know didn't even do final round interviews, just offered based on 1st round+psych (this happened this year, dunno about past years).
Wow that sounds sweet haha.. but i've been looking at the psych test, maybe im just getting a little nervous but i actually dont see the questions as 'easy' and i did the NAB psych test earlier and gosh i was quite nervous doing it and i dont think i did very well.
Hopefully i'll make it to the psych test for Macq ... seems like a really long process but i guess its worth it - even just for the experience hehe :)

modulus

hi, can anyone who has received an offer from MacCap please tell me what the salary is like for the summer intern program? does the salary at MacCap differ from those in other divisions of Macquarie? Also, has anyone been given an offer for Risk Management at Macquarie? I heard it's hard to get into, but the pay is average. And what about grad salaries? Does anyone know what the grad salaries are like for Risk or MacCap?

iamabanana

HSC
hi, did anyone here apply for nabCapital. If so what division?
I applied for finance and ops cause its probably the easiest to get.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Why would you apply for something just for the sake of just being 'easy' to get in? Are you trying to put up a front that you are a pro Ibanker or something?

I don't understand why people apply for positions that are easy. Apply for what you want to do in the future. Future employers will know OPs is easy.

iamabanana

HSC
Errr, when did I imply I was fronting as a pro Ibanker...
I just want to get some experience and know that I probably dont have a chance to get into the more highly regarded positions.

3li

HSC
N/A
so..recruitment is almost over

where did every1 end up going?
ill probably be at nabcap this summer
or perhaps cshk

Does the pay in markets differ alot to banking?

MasterPUA

HSC
3li said:
so..recruitment is almost over

where did every1 end up going?
ill probably be at nabcap this summer
or perhaps cshk

Does the pay in markets differ alot to banking?
IBD will always pay a little higher. I don't think the extra salary is commensurate of the extra workload and overall mundanity of analyst level IBD. I would need to be paid a lot more than $100k to work in corporate finance.

I may be tempted to work in corp fin if I was in London or NYC though.

3li

HSC
N/A
okok

how about just for the summer

can u give me a breakdown of the pay diff in banking and trading

taking into consideration the diff in hours

im leaning towards my trading offer even tho its not at a bulge bracket but the offer in corpfin seems appealing because its a bit more hands on (according to past interns), i know what to expect as an intern at the trading floor and it doesnt seem as appealing.

at the end of the day it depends where i want to go, and im open to both still because im not penultimate so if i dont like one i guess i can try the other the following yr

MasterPUA

HSC
3li said:
okok

how about just for the summer

can u give me a breakdown of the pay diff in banking and trading

taking into consideration the diff in hours

im leaning towards my trading offer even tho its not at a bulge bracket but the offer in corpfin seems appealing because its a bit more hands on (according to past interns), i know what to expect as an intern at the trading floor and it doesnt seem as appealing.

at the end of the day it depends where i want to go, and im open to both still because im not penultimate so if i dont like one i guess i can try the other the following yr
In terms of summer internships, given that you are flip flopping between trading and banking, I would probably go for banking. But this decision should be very personal.

Am I right in assuming that your trading offer is at a market maker?

If so, then trading at a market maker versus banking at a retail bank presents two interesting options. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In hedge funds or PE? Answer that and then choose your internship accordingly.

I'm assuming you will take the Credit Suisse offer no matter what your career preferences, and this would be the right move also.

3li

HSC
N/A
nah its banking at cshk, or trading at a retail bank

i gues im interested in both,

just a q - do ppl who do summer internships at m/a, corpfin commonly get the chance to switch into trading as a grad?

MasterPUA

HSC
3li said:
nah its banking at cshk, or trading at a retail bank

i gues im interested in both,

just a q - do ppl who do summer internships at m/a, corpfin commonly get the chance to switch into trading as a grad?
mate, this is a no brainer. Take CS all day every day.

I've seen people make the switch from banking to trading. A lot of IB analysts tend to 'see the light' and want to switch over to trading after a few months on the job. It's doable - helps if you are a rockstar in the bank.

3li

HSC
N/A
ta

ya for cs was almost gna get an offer till i did something stupid but yea anyways now i gotta wait and see its about 50/50

if i get it will probably take it given it includes airfares and hotel accom.

also i dno if this was asked b4, but do i still stand a chance at a bulge bracket grad trading if i hav had worke xp at a retail. say in credit.

i plan to do an hons in fins as well mayb

also i know its not really relatedm but wat do ppl think of asset management, wat skillset, wat shuld u expect and the worklife balance and the different roles and opportunities pls!

and lastly, wat about DCM (specifically loan syndication)?

pm me so we dont ruin the thread

Last edited:

Descendia

HSC
I thought CS were well and truly done with their IB summer recruitment already?

I know a girl who did a MnA summer internship at Macq. She didn't like it and ended up going into Equities (sales though, not trading) at CS. So I guess the switch is possible, but went through the grad path and re-applied.

3li

HSC
N/A
o really that encouraging then - bankers moving into trading

nah this is for cs hk, recruitment into equities started 2 months ago and already done but ive been transfered into banking recruitment... long story.

so.. anyone shed some light on asset management, dcm - loan syndication and credit derivatives trading.

every job has its pros and cons
pls enlighten

Rorix

HSC
Thats a pretty diverse range of positions there 3li - do you know what you are really looking to get into?

3li

HSC
N/A
yea i know
they all sound good
and i hav a rather naive theoretical view of it all,

im definitely more interested in trading, but mayb some1 whose worked in those areas mentioned can give me a bit of an insight?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
Thats a pretty diverse range of positions there 3li - do you know what you are really looking to get into?
lol, it's basically one from each area of finance.

3li said:
ta

ya for cs was almost gna get an offer till i did something stupid but yea anyways now i gotta wait and see its about 50/50

if i get it will probably take it given it includes airfares and hotel accom.

also i dno if this was asked b4, but do i still stand a chance at a bulge bracket grad trading if i hav had worke xp at a retail. say in credit.

i plan to do an hons in fins as well mayb

also i know its not really relatedm but wat do ppl think of asset management, wat skillset, wat shuld u expect and the worklife balance and the different roles and opportunities pls!

and lastly, wat about DCM (specifically loan syndication)?

pm me so we dont ruin the thread
You've already ruined the thread with your style of typing! If you are talking about NabCapital vs. CS HK, then go for CS Hk. Asset management is more relaxed, better hours, arguably better people to work with in terms of culture.

Do you really want to go into DCM in this kind of market?
MasterPUA said:
In terms of summer internships, given that you are flip flopping between trading and banking, I would probably go for banking. But this decision should be very personal.

Am I right in assuming that your trading offer is at a market maker?

If so, then trading at a market maker versus banking at a retail bank presents two interesting options. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In hedge funds or PE? Answer that and then choose your internship accordingly.

I'm assuming you will take the Credit Suisse offer no matter what your career preferences, and this would be the right move also.
Im not aware of any market maker that offers summer internships. Primarily for the reason that they use proprietary techniques that they don't exactly want to spell out to every man and his dog.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)