Investment/Merchant Banking (1 Viewer)

gm

HSC
Hey, anyone know anything about this ocupation in Australia. It deals with Corporate Finance and Mergers & Acquistions.

Anyone know if the pay is like the US people?

Thanks

timmii

sporadic attendee
It deals with a lot more than just mergers and acquisitions...

Pay is often bonus-derived, so it would depend on how good you are and the market, but yes it is rather lucrative. Very exhausting as well, 100+ hrs per week are the norm! :eek:

kini mini

HSC
At the moment, the world's major merchant banks are in trouble, so I don't think the bonuses are too good. Although I read that they are sacking people and splitting the salaries etc to increase the bonus pool for the others :p

A good way to get into merchant banking is through commerce with a finance major, commerce/law is even better.

Membership of the BoS commerce/law society entitles you to extra help aimed at getting you to that cherished job at Merrill Lynch ;).

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by kini mini

Membership of the BoS commerce/law society entitles you to extra help aimed at getting you to that cherished job at Merrill Lynch ;).
:D

I think we should start charging membership fees and setting up stalls at oweek? :p Or at least distributing pamphlets and accosting ppl to "convert"? :p Though prospective members probably need to *know* what investment banking is first?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii

:D

I think we should start charging membership fees and setting up stalls at oweek? :p Or at least distributing pamphlets and accosting ppl to "convert"? :p Though prospective members probably need to *know* what investment banking is first?
Yes, it'd be good if they knew what they were getting into :p. OTOH I joined AIESEC having just about no idea what it was!

We should do what the Campus Bible Study group did at UNSW - advertise your free BBQ all over the uni, don't mention any strings attached, wait for long lines to develop and pester them while they wait :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)