Invisibility Cloak (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23453957-2,00.html

AN "invisibility cloak" that could make people and objects see-through is being developed by Australian scientists.

Turning science fiction into reality, researchers from the Australian National University in Canberra have created a material that - when wrapped around a solid object - makes it appear transparent.

The metamaterial is made up of "kind of artificial atoms".

"They are a million times bigger than a real atom, and what happens is that these artificial atoms do things that real atoms can't do.

"They can bend light in strange ways, and that's where the 'invisibility cloak' comes into it. It bends light around the object, rather than bouncing off it," Dr Powell said.

The result is that the light bypasses the "cloaked" object, hitting the scene behind it instead. This is why the background becomes visible, not the "invisible" object in the foreground.
UNSW should invest in some for the Applied Science building.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Lol of course an Australian scientists wants it made.
Spot on.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah a few of my friend are working on that.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Slidey said:
Yeah a few of my friend are working on that.
Any details on the actual physics of it? The article is very lowest-common-denominator...

HSC
There's an invisible cloak story every few months, I won't believe any of this will come to anything of note until I'm standing next to Gemma Atkinson in the shower.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Trampoline Man said:
There's an invisible cloak story every few months, I won't believe any of this will come to anything of note until I'm standing next to Gemma Atkinson in the shower.
Most of them a true. You probably just didn't bother to read the details, such as radar invisibility, microwave invisibility, etc.

Nobody has claimed invisibility for the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

My friends were honours students working on various facets of this project. They were pretty excited about it, and the way they explained it to me seemed very scientifically feasible (it wasn't just theory).

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
That's awesome. Though I must admit, I always get super-skeptical about articles posted around April 1st. Nonetheless, I'll trust Slidey's endorsement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)