ios6 (1 Viewer)

Rixon

swirv
HSC
ios6 on my iphone4
just updated and now exploring. it looks pretty sexy.

how do i remove the 'tap to tweet' text box from my drop down notification list? finding it annoying
fixed.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Siri is awesomeee. I use it a lot when I'm driving, so now that it has (near) full functionality, things will be schweet.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Where would you say the biggest updates are?

I only use the iPad for Internet which I use Chrome instead of Safari.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
On my iPad3 64gb+3G it works great. I get lots of new features (e.g. Siri) and the 3D maps look pretty awesome in the select areas where it works (e.g. it shows my office and my apartment quite nicely). However the loss of public transport data, the Street view, the Youtube app, etc... is a bit of a downer. The Youtube app (last time I checked at least) was iPhone only (i.e. not iPad size). That being said, it feels a bit snappier and I look forward to Facetime over 3G.

On my iPhone4 32gb however, I don't think it was that great a move to upgrade to iOS6. It feels about the same as before (maybe marginally faster?) but I don't get many of the new features other than Passbook and VIP/Privacy call (e.g. 3D maps, Facetime over 3G, Panorama, etc), but I lose out on the maps details (e.g. Street view). That also being said, I don't feel compelled to buy an iPhone5 which is a bit odd for me- normally I'd jump at the new products but I just don't have any real interest in it (how odd...) Maybe I'll wait for the 5S? *shrugs*

For comparisons sake, I did the iPad upgrade via iTunes (after doing a full backup to both iCloud and my local PC) so ensure it was a clean install. All my apps transferred over great including my firm's sandbox encryption applications for email/document management (which normally requires reactivation whenever I did an iOS update). Pretty happy with this and it's worked well. The iPhone4 however was a bit scary as I did it over the air (using wifi) whilst plugged into a charger. After about an hour and a bit, I had to go so I started the car, and ran to bring the iPhone4 into the car and plug it into the charger. It was about 90% of the way through the first stage of installing (i.e. it had finished downloading). Then whilst driving it had reset the progress bar making me wonder if I had stuffed it up but I remember seeing this on my iPad whereby it has two sets of progress bars to complete. After a while of it staying at 0%, I glanced over and noticed it only had the Apple logo which meant it was booting up!!... and then iOS6 appeared. Everything stayed where it was except Passbook was now on my first page.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Where would you say the biggest updates are?

I only use the iPad for Internet which I use Chrome instead of Safari.
On the iPad it'd be Siri and Facebook posting from Siri. And Maps obviously. But what I really look forward to is iCloud Safari tabs because whilst I have chrome on both my iPad and iPhone, I still find I prefer the simplicity of Safari which just works whereas Chrome feels a bit tricky to use with all the random swipe gestures/etc (and it's also crashed on me before).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
will wait for the jailbreak to come out first and then upgrade

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
will wait for the jailbreak to come out first and then upgrade

Jailbreaking removes a lot of the benefits of the closed/sandboxed/secure iOS world though... (that and if I get that I can't use any of my firm software on there.) I don't want to have to run antivirus on my phone.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Jailbreaking removes a lot of the benefits of the closed/sandboxed/secure iOS world though... (that and if I get that I can't use any of my firm software on there.) I don't want to have to run antivirus on my phone.
You get way more benefits (customising and shizz) and I really really hate censorship. Also what do you mean you run your firm software, you can do everything on a jailbroken iphone that you can do on a heavily censored iphone from apple.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You get way more benefits (customising and shizz) and I really really hate censorship. Also what do you mean you run your firm software, you can do everything on a jailbroken iphone that you can do on a heavily censored iphone from apple.
Firm software scans for evidence of jailbreaking (or rooting on Android) and automatically self destructs if the OS is tampered with- we have to use custom profiles in iOS (e.g. mandatory password requirements, etc) as we have market sensitive data. I am inclined to think if you don't like censorship, Apple probably isn't the brand for you to begin with!

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The new Youtube app runs rings around the old one. I actually stopped using the old one a little while back and switched over to the one in the app store. Excellent decision. Facebook integration seems pretty good too (although I can't comment first hand).

Maps is a bit of a hit or miss. Some areas seem to show up pretty clearly, while others are poor (equivalent to where Google Maps was 3-4 years ago, which isn't good enough). Flyover feature is cool, but a bit of a gimmick at the moment - at least for me. I can't say that I'll really be using it that much.

Overall, I don't think this upgrade is anything special. Certainly underwhelming given that it was supposed to be a completely new version of IOS. The only thing that I'm satisfied with, are the upgrades to siri.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I find it runs a bit smoother on my old iPhone 4 which is surprising. The thing which bugs me at the moment though is my iTunes Match is having issues- half my playlists are duplicated probably because when I plugged it into iTunes on my PC after doing the OTA upgrade, it didn't seem to notice the iPhone had Match enabled and pushed my music onto it... so now I have duplicates? Googling has led me to believe I'm not the only one with this issue and the best bet is a Restore. Given I've never formatted the iPhone and it's full of crap, I'm thinking this might actually be a good idea but I'm worried I'll lose things like saved messages (in either Messages or Whatsapp) and that I'll have to reconfigure everything. Has anyone tried doing a Restore from scratch and gotten all their settings transferred over?

Note: I have back ups both in iCloud and on my PC so I'm able to restore from these if needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)