IP 2005 help.. - Critical Analysis (1 Viewer)

charliecaban

HSC
Hey all - i'm new to this site and loving every minute of it :)

Amidst all the HSC exams it is not my intention to draw focus away, but none the less i am seeking some help/advice about my IP 2005.
I am going to do a Critical Analysis: Critique of 4 plays, but do not understand all the requirements and what is involved in getting the much desired "band 6" or higher level mark. I have read the course outline and notes we get from the BOS but still have many questions. Here are some that i have put together..

-How long should each peice actually be?
-Is it best to be negative, positive or overly critical?
-Does it require fancy headings and alot of work on presentation or is it mainly content based?
-What aspects are best to analyse of a play and put in the peice?
-Is there any kind of formula that you should adopt; start with context of director/writer, then talk about set then about actors and then themes and then dramatic convetntions etc?

They are some pretty broad questions, but i am just looking for a general direction to pursue as time is of the essence, although it is very eearly in the year.

Is anyone willing to show me any sample critiques that they may have done or have seen etc? this would be extremely helpful and give me a kick start :).

thanks heaps
-charlie

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Hey! I feel special that I can actually help someone :p Ok, I did Theatre Criticism too.

-How long should each peice actually be?
Ok, there is actually a word limit for each review. You cannot go over 800 words for each. So mine ended up coming to 780-800 each review approx. Trust me, it is SO hard to get it done to 800. MY first few drafts wee hitting 1500+ until my teacher really honed in on it.

-Is it best to be negative, positive or overly critical?
Be critical for sure...because you ARE a critique. In all four of my reviews I was positive the whole way for a few reason: 1. i LOVED the plays i saw and hence did not have anything to criticise. 2. i found it a lot easier to be positive :p You can be positive or negative, however be careful just how negative you are. You don't want to offend the markers in anyway possible.

-Does it require fancy headings and alot of work on presentation or is it mainly content based?
this was my biggest problem. no where in the syllabus does it say that you HAVE to put it on A3 paper, however, one of the criteria is something about PRESENTATION. My suggestion is to read milloins of reviews (from the internet, magazines, newspapers, etc). Find four layouts that you would like to work with and use those. Plus, another thing: if you use the layout from a local newspaper, then your language has to be pitched at that audience. THAT'S the major thing. So if you're doing it from The Australian newspaper, then the audience there is quite a sophisticated, intelligent audience. Play with your layouts...on the comp and off the comp. You can print it off in A3 or A4 whatever suits you. Just remember that presentation is very important.

-What aspects are best to analyse of a play and put in the peice?
there are certain aspects that you HAVE to include. These things are: Set design, Costume Design, Lighting, Characters, Directors (History and Present), Actors (History and Present), Historical and social contexts of the play. I think that's about it. COver these all, and you'll get there :p

-Is there any kind of formula that you should adopt; start with context of director/writer, then talk about set then about actors and then themes and then dramatic convetntions etc?
good question. You should do what you feel comfortable. Vary your layout from piece to piece, because each article will be pitched to different audiences, and also because you don't want to BORE the markers. lol

One MASSIVE piece of advice i can give you, is READ READ READ!! Whenever you or your family see a review in the papers/magazines/on the net cut them out, stick them in your Process Journal and analyse the review. You'll get bonus marks from the markers for having such a thick Journal :p And also because it'll help you work out the layout you want to use, and what sort of language you should be using. Oh and also, don't only go and see 4 plays...see more!! HEAPS :p so that you can get a feel of theatre. I think I saw 8 overall, and picked my 4 fave.

Write HEAPS of drafts and kepe giving them to ur teacher. :)

It's a very large project, so don't think it's somethin to slack off in. I've endured blood, sweat and many tears over it. But geez, I had such a great time!!

I hope that helps. PM me if u need to ask any more questions :)

charliecaban

HSC
oh my goodness, thankyou so much i didnt expect such an extensive response.

Your info will help me more than you can imagine, and it has also made me reach a point of yr 12 'realisation' in which i freak out about how much work i have to do in such little time !

There is just one thing that i would like to clear up,
In the presentation idea, are you saying that i actually portray my critiques in a paper like The ASutralian's mimick. like with the same headings and stuff? and then u appropriate the suitable language to the audience that mostly reads that particular source. I'm trying to brainstorm different layouts of reveiews, i've got papers, magazines, and e-magazine websites.. any others?

Cheers again,
-charlie

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
hey :) not a problem...glad i could help.

Yep. You basically play around with paint and whatever programs and use their headlines and the way they structure their reviews (images, quotes, details, etc) and replicate it for your project. You have the right idea.

Naa, i think there is only papers, mags and net. The theatrical world is not as big as we would all like it to be, but it's getting there :D

I don't know whether u can make up your own layout. That's a question for your teacher. But I used The Australian, Daily Telegraph, a local paper and SMH. But they're basic ones, so look outside the square :p

Keep your questions coming....and for anynoe else who's thinking of doing Theatre Review...ask away!!! :)

Kate D

HSC
Hey Charlie,

I did portfolio of theatre criticism this yr and my drama teacher suggested to me, and i did this, that i set up a folder and collect theatre reviews fom newspapers and stuff and analyse them for layout and style etc. it was good...

Good luck for ur HSC and IP

Katie

pungpui

HSC
grk_styl said:
Whenever you or your family see a review in the papers/magazines/on the net cut them out, stick them in your Process Journal and analyse the review. You'll get bonus marks from the markers for having such a thick Journal :p
You dont get extra marks for having a thick log book! The log book has no direct influence on your final mark for the IP...it is only a reference guide for the markers... although I cannot deny that if you present a really big log book full of reflections and research and other crap it will indirectly make yours seem more appealing than 2 bits of scrappy paper...may just tip them to a higher mark

pungpui

HSC
just another thing...

for research in your log books...just research anything...eg stuff bout the playwright, previous productions, the theatrical form, whateva since it makes it look like you really made an effort...

for the style of play...i tried to vary it...2 amateur productions and 2 professional productions...i ended up doing 1 amateur and 3 pro's...coz of timing and personal reasons...but try and vary it.

Also for the style of writing...mimic a current group (eg newspaper, etc.) and vary the medium...I did 1 The Australian, 1 The Hills Times (local production fits with local paper), 1 Time Magazine (for the format, borrow any Time magazine and look in the back, there is often a review or essay...go for the obvious and copy it...even the advertisements to make it look genuine), and 1 for a hypothetical Theatre review website (make up some corney name, use Publisher to create hyperlinks, etc. for authenticity).

I only presented on A4 paper...but make sum effort to present it...all my log book and reviews were seperately spiral bound, pasted on cardboard.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
pungpui said:
You dont get extra marks for having a thick log book! The log book has no direct influence on your final mark for the IP...it is only a reference guide for the markers... although I cannot deny that if you present a really big log book full of reflections and research and other crap it will indirectly make yours seem more appealing than 2 bits of scrappy paper...may just tip them to a higher mark
um...ok..i know it doesn't give u "extra marks" so to speak, and i probably shouldn't have written that. However, exhibit A:

Person 1 has a "great" portfolio and only four pages in their journals
Person 2 has a "great" portfolio and has 3 journals full.

don't u think that the journal could determine which person gets into OnSTAGE for example?

hm..perhaps ur right, but if u do 4 pages, u havent documented ur process, so the marker may think u've just plaigarised.

/end of my 2 cents

Lucie16

HSC
Hey i am doing theatre reviews as well and i was wondering id past HSC students could post there reviews so we can get an idea of whats expected. Also what are people this year going to see over these holidays?

pungpui

HSC
ask your teacher for copies of exemplar ones from previous years, they will give you the best idea of what you need. they're either in the standard packages that most teachers get, or maybe even in the resources section of this site...search it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)