iphone vs nokia e63... (1 Viewer)

HSC
... if only the decision was that simple. but of course there is always a catch.

i can get the nokia e63 for $19/month or an 8GB iphone for $40/month ($19 cap, $20 phone cost). same credit and data allowance for each and will be stuck with the same phone for 2 years, which would you choose?

iphone seems easier to use/looks way better/is less chunky and i like apps but it's also more expensive (though $20/ month for the iphone for 2yrs seems decent considering that's $480 while outright it's about $880). i can afford it but if it's not worth it i'd rather save the money since i'll soon be out of a job for a while.

so, since the phone i'm currently using is from the prehistoric ages and i have no experience with either of these phones, do any users have comments on whether it's worth it or not? any help would be appreciated :)

bli

HSC
How much do you spend a month on calls + texts etc?

cause if you're going to get the iphone you should at least maybe go on the $49 cap which has data included and thus you get to fully experience the iphone's capabilities although you can also do that on wifi, but its good to have it when you're on the go.

as for the nokia e63, i currently own it and its quite a good phone so maybe if you're low on $$ its better to go on it as you wont be disappointed!

HSC
i think if she could afford $50 she would have put it as an option

i didnt think the cheaper plans were very good and perhaps a prepaid cap or something might be cheaper
vodaphone $29 cap etc

HSC
How much do you spend a month on calls + texts etc?
it varies so much is the thing. in april it took me an entire month to use $30, whereas i used $10 in the past three days... i was looking at the vodafone rollover caps but i ruled out the $29 because there's much less data included. i basically only text atm cause thats all my phone does lol, i want to be able to use the internet though/keep myself occupied on the train so having a plan with data is important.

atm i'm looking at optus which for the $19 social cap has $55 credit, unlimited youtube/facebook and a decent amount of data (the other $20 is for the phone).

zombie omie jay said:
i think if she could afford $50 she would have put it as an option
pretty much this, just cause with my inconsistent use of credit it wouldn't really be worth $50 a month, my absolute limit is $40/month and that's only because i really like the iphone.

i didnt think the cheaper plans were very good and perhaps a prepaid cap or something might be cheapervodaphone $29 cap etc
see that's the problem the cheaper cap plans are all crap lol, or they all give you heaps of credit to text/call other users of that network, but all my friends/family have different providers. maybe you're right about prepaid though i just have blinders on about it because my current prepaid gives me jack all in terms of value. i might look into some different providers and what prepaid deals there are.

as for the nokia e63, i currently own it and its quite a good phone so maybe if you're low on $$ its better to go on it as you wont be disappointed!
is it easy to use? i've never actually been able to use one so at the moment all i can see is trade off of aesthetics for $$. the main thing i wonder is would the iphone be worth the extra $$, also considering that if i dont end up liking the other phone im stuck with it.

Aeriff

HSC
8gb iphone = 3g = 2 years old.

not worth getting stuck on a 2 year contract for. wait until june/july, new iphones.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
um. optus is crap unless the people you call the majority of the time are also on optus. I'd suggest one of vodaphone's postpaid caps/plans. they include data, calls, texts and there's no contact. you just get emailed the bill at the end of the month (corresponding to which cap you've chosen) and you're good to go. Also you can choose monthly whether to increase the cap or decrease it if you know you're going to call/text/whatever a lot that month.

only problem is that you don't get a phone with it. you have to buy that outright. completely worth it though imo.

xMaNx

HSC
iPhone 4G or whatever they call the new one in like 1-2 months time.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I've got the 3GS from Optus on the $49 cap + $20 phone repayment + Insurance (if you get an iPhone GET INSURANCE!!! If you don't, you're a moron)... All in all ends up costing around $63 a month after discounts (around the $70 mark before discounts).

Don't go any plan lower than the $49. It's just not worth it in any way, shape or form.

My friend had the Nokia e63... I wasn't too impressed by it. Seemed like any other faceless midrange blackberry wannabe (plus all the keys fell off for no reason).

But that said, I own the iPhone and am not that much a fan of it. Apps are great for a while, then they just get ridiculous then boring. Plus there are WAAAY too many in the app store... Quantity is not quality as most of these apps are utter shiite.

If you're on a budget, go the Nokia. If you wanna spend a little on the class-leading iPhone, go for it, but don't get it from Telstra. They don't offer insurance with your iPhone, and like I said; If you don't get insurance with your iPhone, you're a moron :).

EDIT: Or wait a few months for the iPhone 4G.

HSC
8gb iphone = 3g = 2 years old.

not worth getting stuck on a 2 year contract for. wait until june/july, new iphones.
i was thinking the same thing, but 1. they'll probably be expensive and 2. the phone i'm using now probably won't last that long, the battery keeps getting worse and worse.

Blue Suede said:
only problem is that you don't get a phone with it. you have to buy that outright. completely worth it though imo.
buying the phone outright is the last thing i want to do. the most basic iphone is $880, then i would have to pay for the cap. the optus plan where i get the basic iphone and credit/data is $936 for the entire contract. the n63 or e71 or whatever is $456 for the new phone/credit/data for the entire contract, so for me buying the phone outright is not worth it.

AusBluesMan said:
I've got the 3GS from Optus on the $49 cap + $20 phone repayment + Insurance (if you get an iPhone GET INSURANCE!!! If you don't, you're a moron)... All in all ends up costing around $63 a month after discounts (around the $70 mark before discounts).

Don't go any plan lower than the $49. It's just not worth it in any way, shape or form.
as i said in earlier posts, i don't want to spend that much when i will most definitely not use $49 a month, my usage is too irregular. it is just not worth it, though point definitely taken on the insurance, everyone tells me that once the iphone breaks a little it's totally fucked.

My friend had the Nokia e63... I wasn't too impressed by it. Seemed like any other faceless midrange blackberry wannabe (plus all the keys fell off for no reason).
this is my problem, n63 is so boring/chunky/ugly keyboard.

But that said, I own the iPhone and am not that much a fan of it. Apps are great for a while, then they just get ridiculous then boring. Plus there are WAAAY too many in the app store... Quantity is not quality as most of these apps are utter shiite.
is it just the apps thing though or are there other things that make it difficult to use/not all it's cracked up to be? see i hear some people rave about it and other people complain, so i'm trying to figure out whether it's worth the extra $20/month for the iphone.

i'm more interested in the actual phones than the plan/cap, i.e. is the iphone worth it, because i can go up a cap but once i'm locked into a contract i can't change phones.

thanks to everyone who's replied so far as well, they've all been quite helpful in figuring which is the best option :)

Last edited:

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
i was thinking the same thing, but 1. they'll probably be expensive and 2. the phone i'm using now probably won't last that long, the battery keeps getting worse and worse.

buying the phone outright is the last thing i want to do. the most basic iphone is $880, then i would have to pay for the cap. the optus plan where i get the basic iphone and credit/data is $936 for the entire contract. the n63 or e71 or whatever is $456 for the new phone/credit/data for the entire contract, so for me buying the phone outright is not worth it.

as i said in earlier posts, i don't want to spend that much when i will most definitely not use $49 a month, my usage is too irregular. it is just not worth it, though point definitely taken on the insurance, everyone tells me that once the iphone breaks a little it's totally fucked.

this is my problem, n63 is so boring/chunky/ugly keyboard.

is it just the apps thing though or are there other things that make it difficult to use/not all it's cracked up to be? see i hear some people rave about it and other people complain, so i'm trying to figure out whether it's worth the extra $20/month for the iphone.

i'm more interested in the actual phones than the plan/cap, i.e. is the iphone worth it, because i can go up a cap but once i'm locked into a contract i can't change phones.

thanks to everyone who's replied so far as well, they've all been quite helpful in figuring which is the best option :)
Well, the texting system leaves much to be desired. It's just dysfunctional. It doesn't work as well as say... Motorola's, where the phone actually learns your texting style and what words you would most likely use. Apple's auto-complete/spell-check system gets it wrong so much, to the point that most users just turn it off.

Other then that, no complaints on the user friendliness. The touch screen is the most accurate on the market, plus you get the worlds favourite media player - iTunes in your pocket with a nice amount of gigs. I'm just not that much of an App man I guess. Maybe if there wasn't so much shit in the store, I'd like them more.

The iPhone is the most popular phone on the market for a reason. Definitely beats the e63, but it depends on your budget I guess.

Would you be using your phone as just that, or do you need gadgets to play with?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you just want the phone for a phone, go for e63 or e71 if you can move up to it. It's very good at what it does, the e71 is slim, they both have great keyboards and are fast for typing or searching your phone book, etc...

But if you want something to replace your iPod, are interested in downloading those games/apps (and are willing to pay for it too- jailbreaking may or may not work), want the cooler looking phone (even though the one you're referring to is actually quite old/not that exciting), etc... then iPhone might work.

In all honesty though, I hate touch screens. They may be good if you want to surf the net alot or something but the Nokia interface and usability is good if that's what you want.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
iphone for sure

aussie-boy

HSC
The iphone is way better than the e63, but do you really wanna burn $40/month+ on a phone?
That probably doesn't even include data... and the iphone is useless without at least 500MB/month.l The lowest plan you'd even consider would be $60/month

With TPG, you get $300 worth of calls and txt for $15/month - but have to supply your own phone. If you have a phone that works, buy a new battery and get this plan. IMO its way better to just not have internet and save $1k over 2 yrs. In fact, you can get internet with TPG - but it comes out of the cap. This means you can check emails/fb rehularly.... but tethering/browsing proper sites just eats data

HSC
aussie-boy said:
The iphone is way better than the e63, but do you really wanna burn $40/month+ on a phone?
That probably doesn't even include data... and the iphone is useless without at least 500MB/month.l The lowest plan you'd even consider would be $60/month
yeah that's my dilemma, the cost thing. it includes 200MB of data, plus unlimited facebook/youtube. but i suppose that's only if i can get it on the social cap.

With TPG, you get $300 worth of calls and txt for $15/month - but have to supply your own phone. If you have a phone that works, buy a new battery and get this plan. IMO its way better to just not have internet and save $1k over 2 yrs. In fact, you can get internet with TPG - but it comes out of the cap. This means you can check emails/fb rehularly.... but tethering/browsing proper sites just eats data
i have a three year old motorola razr which i haven't been allowed to get rid of because it's a birthday present, but now it's not working it may be my only opportunity to ditch it lol. yeah i did have a look at TPG, there was some page that was like 9.99/month for quite a decent amount of calls/text, like 150 or something, but that didnt include data. but yeah, so long as data is supplied it would be fine, but i kinda want a new phone.

Well, the texting system leaves much to be desired. It's just dysfunctional. It doesn't work as well as say... Motorola's, where the phone actually learns your texting style and what words you would most likely use. Apple's auto-complete/spell-check system gets it wrong so much, to the point that most users just turn it off.

Other then that, no complaints on the user friendliness. The touch screen is the most accurate on the market, plus you get the worlds favourite media player - iTunes in your pocket with a nice amount of gigs. I'm just not that much of an App man I guess. Maybe if there wasn't so much shit in the store, I'd like them more.

The iPhone is the most popular phone on the market for a reason. Definitely beats the e63, but it depends on your budget I guess.

Would you be using your phone as just that, or do you need gadgets to play with?
Aha, see that's important to me because most of my phone usage is texting, but it's good to hear that it's user friendly aside from that, that's one of my main concerns. And since i'm familiar with itunes that's another thing i like, it seems like iphone would be more plug and play type thing. Basically i'd use it for phone (texting) and web browsing, music, and apps, in that order. i would use it to replace my ipod, one less thing to carry around with me/potentially lose lol. I don't really mind about cameras or other gadgets. and what you said earlier about insurance, i'd forgotten that, that will effect my budget too i guess... *sigh* maybe i'll hold off on the iphone for a while, maybe when the 4g ones come out the plans for the 3g will be cheaper. thanks so much for that review, you've been really helpful :D

If you just want the phone for a phone, go for e63 or e71 if you can move up to it. It's very good at what it does, the e71 is slim, they both have great keyboards and are fast for typing or searching your phone book, etc..

But if you want something to replace your iPod, are interested in downloading those games/apps (and are willing to pay for it too- jailbreaking may or may not work), want the cooler looking phone (even though the one you're referring to is actually quite old/not that exciting), etc... then iPhone might work.

In all honesty though, I hate touch screens. They may be good if you want to surf the net alot or something but the Nokia interface and usability is good if that's what you want.
yeah that's the thing, i wanted it to use as an ipod. but e63 has an mp3 player i guess... i don't need a massive library of songs just enough to keep me occupied on the train. and like you said the 8gb may be even a little outdated. glad to hear the nokias have good useability though, cause that was one of my main concerns. thanks for your input as well :D

now a few of my concerns have been addressed they both sound pretty damn decent. iphone still sounds better but when it comes to the cost maybe the nokia is the better option for my budget... i guess if i get a 24month contract for the nokia, when it ends i'll be almost finished uni and will have more money for whatever iphone gadget they bring out between now and then :D

Last edited:

thaer

HSC
i had an e63 for about a year and trust me stay away from it
yeah it looks good when you first get it but yeah you get sick of it a few months after
if you want a plan with data look at virgin roll over plus caps currently they're offering 1 free gig a month for 3 months !

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah that's the thing, i wanted it to use as an ipod. but e63 has an mp3 player i guess... i don't need a massive library of songs just enough to keep me occupied on the train. and like you said the 8gb may be even a little outdated. glad to hear the nokias have good useability though, cause that was one of my main concerns. thanks for your input as well :D

now a few of my concerns have been addressed they both sound pretty damn decent. iphone still sounds better but when it comes to the cost maybe the nokia is the better option for my budget... i guess if i get a 24month contract for the nokia, when it ends i'll be almost finished uni and will have more money for whatever iphone gadget they bring out between now and then :D
Nokia music management is crap. If you want it to be your daily mp3 player I'd stick with the iPhone. Or buy an iPod nano or something. Also be warned, Nokias can get hot when used as mp3 players for time and your battery will go down the shoot.

HSC
i had an e63 for about a year and trust me stay away from it
yeah it looks good when you first get it but yeah you get sick of it a few months after
if you want a plan with data look at virgin roll over plus caps currently they're offering 1 free gig a month for 3 months !
hmm, the problem is that it's only three months, and you get stuck on a 24month contract. i'm quite happy with the credit and data on the social caps.

seremify2007 said:
Nokia music management is crap. If you want it to be your daily mp3 player I'd stick with the iPhone. Or buy an iPod nano or something. Also be warned, Nokias can get hot when used as mp3 players for time and your battery will go down the shoot.
yeah that's what i was worried about, since i know i can use itunes but i wasnt sure if the e63's mp3 would be easy to use. i already have an ipod nano, i just thought it would be better to have a combined device so there's less chance of losing my iPod lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)