iPirates face jail time in customs frisk (1 Viewer)

jordankuai22

HSC
squeenie said:
Yeah, it would be. I have some friends who work for the police, I'll ask them about it next time I see them...

I've heard about people getting caught using bittorrent, too... Does anyone know anything about that?
haha haha.

dont humour me.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Exphate said:
Sit down and read the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policy, which you agree to when you sign up.

Some interesting stuff gets overlooked.

And besides, you are accessing material through them, so it'll be on their servers anyways.
I have a gem of an example for that:

From the Photoshop Express Terms of Use (which have now been changed... go figure. By the way, I got this from here):

Adobe does not claim ownership of Your Content. However, with respect to Your Content that you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Adobe a worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other Materials or works in any format or medium now known or later developed.
... Oh the fun you can have reading EULAs.

HSC
I for one think it is abysmal! The incredibly large amount of people downloading illegal music should most certainly be sent to prison! I can't believe you sick, pathetic excuses for human beings would do something as preposterous as download music that people have worked extremely hard on (lol) to create.

Seriously! GROW UP YOU CRIMINALS!

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
piracy can not be stopped MUAHAHAH

they have been trying to crack down on people using torrents
so always remember to:

A) download from a reliable release group
B) run peer guardian
C) if you have a decent connection stay on private trackers ( then A and B can usually be ignored)

besides if the government wants to waste time "searching" your files
just encrypt them.

power to the people ;-)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
mythical chaos said:
I for one think it is abysmal! The incredibly large amount of people downloading illegal music should most certainly be sent to prison! I can't believe you sick, pathetic excuses for human beings would do something as preposterous as download music that people have worked extremely hard on (lol) to create.

Seriously! GROW UP YOU CRIMINALS!
Take your own advice.

Anyways, some companies have even admitted that piracy helps their sales, so what are you so worried about?

Evilo

HSC
Exphate said:
So, everyone who ever downloads a song should be gaoled?

So we are going to look at paying ~$50k/year/person that is gaoled.

"Stealing" a $20 cd v $50k of taxpayer money.

Hmm.
Although i believe "mythical chaos' is a complete douche bag and i support you putting him in his place, you have slightly exaggerated this.

Small offences would be fines or a warning. People who get jailed are usually organisers of major copyright infringement hierarchies.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
btw I think it is important to know that i do disagree with downloading illegal music, i just am pointing out the flaws in this proposal.

Evilo

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
btw I think it is important to know that i do disagree with downloading illegal music, i just am pointing out the flaws in this proposal.
'cos the feds are tracing your ip right now...

Matt Samson

HSC
Could I ask how customs would be able to tell between a pirated MP3 and a legal MP3?

Evilo

HSC
Matt Samson said:
Could I ask how customs would be able to tell between a pirated MP3 and a legal MP3?
I think it would be used as a last resort against people who they don't want to accept into America (without any real reason).

a few of the ways i can think of. (not saying this is fact)
a) their copyright laws are different there, and "backing" up your music onto ipod isn't legal.
b) music with tag lines such as "bottomfeedermusic.com, weetark.tk, mp3sfinder.com etc"
c) video music that clearly has a tag from a different source - i.e. again i'm not sure what the laws are when ripping music videos from video hits are.

Well thats what i would assume

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Matt Samson said:
That's a really good point there. Someone could very easily edit the tags on a song to make it look legit, and Winamp now has an Auto-tag option, which fills in any empty tags on a song with the correct information, and that would make an illegally downloaded song look quite legit. Some songs have copyright protection, which is usually removed when a song is ripped... IMO, this legislation is stupid anyway. There are other ways to catch music pirates.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
I think it would be used as a last resort against people who they don't want to accept into America (without any real reason).

a few of the ways i can think of. (not saying this is fact)
a) their copyright laws are different there, and "backing" up your music onto ipod isn't legal.
b) music with tag lines such as "bottomfeedermusic.com, weetark.tk, mp3sfinder.com etc"
c) video music that clearly has a tag from a different source - i.e. again i'm not sure what the laws are when ripping music videos from video hits are.

Well thats what i would assume
backing up music to your ipod is not illegal over here either.

Evilo

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
backing up music to your ipod is not illegal over here either.
do you live in america?

Evilo

HSC
k, thought it might have been misread.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
But how can they prove if anyone has pirated music on their ipod, is there some special way they check the ipod to find if anything is pirated, they cant prove it without access to the owner's pc, can they???

Evilo

HSC
Kwayera said:
I live in Wahroonga, NSW. Come and get me. And say hi to the metal baseball bat I keep beside the front door :)
you sound cute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)