• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

IPL-Cricket (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
that was an excellent gmae ( hyderabad v Kolkata) but that was a terrible pitch for batting.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
very very disappointed with ipl, to say the least. so much expectation, yet so predictable. fielders dropping catches, bowlers getting absolutely belted bowl after bowl. nothing exciting. if i wanted to see balls getting belted out of the ground, i'd watch baseball. i thought the players were going to be smart about it, clearly not suited to the game yet.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
Doesn't anyone here think that all this T20 has changed the game of cricket into an "Amazing exciting entertaining" sport for the spectators? I mean, i don't really like such a sort of cricket. Cricket should be played with moderate fun and seriousness. I know that this is new generation of cricket but, it just doesnt carry the true spirit of cricket that used to be before all this IPL.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Triple777ER said:
Doesn't anyone here think that all this T20 has changed the game of cricket into an "Amazing exciting entertaining" sport for the spectators? I mean, i don't really like such a sort of cricket. Cricket should be played with moderate fun and seriousness. I know that this is new generation of cricket but, it just doesnt carry the true spirit of cricket that used to be before all this IPL.
So your saying that cricket should be a boring sport.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
siddharthlaha said:
So your saying that cricket should be a boring sport.
he/she is saying that the entertainment should be derived from watching 2 great teams battle wits and putting into practice smart strategies and tactics, and watching world class players play. Not deriving entertainment from who smashes the most sixes or runs.

i think.

aznboystar

Honourary Azn
HSC
Triple777ER said:
i actually prefer t20 and onedayers over tests. its all entertainment and good to watch. however, imo, the same cannot be said for test matches where the players just pad away one ball after another or let them go thru.

but t20 is a good change and its still cricket afterall. there are tactics behind it. u still have to establish partnerships, the bowlers have to bowl smartly and prevent runs, the captain has to set a field which doesnt allow too many boundries or doesnt give away easy singles etc etc.

its just a different kind of tactic that is employed and provides much better entertainment imo.

but if u like sitting on a couch, half asleep with a packet of chips for 5 days in a row then thats ur choice.

Last edited:

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
watevs. they arent gonna kill test cricket

get ova it, its free anyway. enjoy it for wat its worth

Muz4PM

HSC
Test Cricket FTW. I don't mind T20, it is good to watch, exciting to follow, but I believe that nothing beats test cricket. I hope that T20 cricket does get off and is successful as it will attract more people to the game. Sure, they won't ALL like tests or one dayers, but there will be a fraction who will be converted to watching the longer versions.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
T2o cricket is just a way bring excitement into cricket. Im not saying that test cricket is bad, just sometimes watching ball after ball go through to the keeper gets kinda boring. And i agree with aznboystar, Its all cricket, just T20 is more for the etertainment value.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
I don't mind international 20/20s as much, but i find it really hard to identify with a cricket team that has nothing to do with my country or state.

Though i guess it doesn't bother me in the EPL, so it is quite strange

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
for the first time in my luxurious life i watched a cricket match. Did you see Calcutta captain picking his nasty nose infront of TV camera. disgusting. :(

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
PrinceHarry said:
for the first time in my luxurious life i watched a cricket match. Did you see Calcutta captain picking his nasty nose infront of TV camera. disgusting. :(
Get out, nazi-boy.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Triple777ER said:
i agree to an extend. cricket is meant to be a game of endurance and grace, a game of patience and subtlety. never is cricket meant to be bashed around the park on such a large scale event. t20 was only introduced 3 years back to the international stage, now not only have we got a t20 world cup, but also a multi-billion dollar tournament in india. i think cricket has changed forever. i honestly hope for the sake of the game that the marquee players don't go chasing the money at the expense of more than a century's tradition in test cricket.

but this is the corporate world we live in. people like money. unless test cricket can sort of match the figures players are getting in ipl, i think some players will opt not to play it.

then again, what they do in india doesn't concern me. as long as they limit only one international t20 per summer, that'd be more than enough.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
wuddie said:
i agree to an extend. cricket is meant to be a game of endurance and grace, a game of patience and subtlety. never is cricket meant to be bashed around the park on such a large scale event. t20 was only introduced 3 years back to the international stage, now not only have we got a t20 world cup, but also a multi-billion dollar tournament in india. i think cricket has changed forever. i honestly hope for the sake of the game that the marquee players don't go chasing the money at the expense of more than a century's tradition in test cricket.

but this is the corporate world we live in. people like money. unless test cricket can sort of match the figures players are getting in ipl, i think some players will opt not to play it.

then again, what they do in india doesn't concern me. as long as they limit only one international t20 per summer, that'd be more than enough.
Evolution. Whether you like it or not, you can't avoid it.

Playing for one's country is completely different emotion when compared to playing for a league team in a foreign country, regardless of money. Test cricket, the aura of the baggy green and the respect for the game, won't change on australian soil.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
AnandDNA said:
A friend told me that the IPL will only be run every 4 yrs.
no, players have already signed for the next 3 years, not the next 3 leap years.

blue_chameleon said:
Playing for one's country is completely different emotion when compared to playing for a league team in a foreign country, regardless of money. Test cricket, the aura of the baggy green and the respect for the game, won't change on australian soil.
i'd like to hope so. like i've said, i wouldn't mind t20 if that can co-exist with test cricket. guys like symonds and co get paid multiple amounts of money they'd ever make playing for aust, so the temptation is certainly there if there is ever a schedule clash. when symonds said he didn't want to go to pakistan, i felt the ipl played a certain part, be it big or small, in his comment. if that is true, it is not a good sign.

also, surveys have indicated that 49% of all cricketers in aust (ie domestic and international) said they would retire earlier just so they can play in the ipl.

12th man

HSC
1st things first - i much prefer tests and odi's to t20 but enjoy all 3 formats and think they all have their merits.

its not so much the ipl thats threatening players to quit early; its more so the icc with their extreme short-term grab for money strategy not creating a window (as all the players are campaigning for them to do) so the players can play there without it clashing with their international duties; so that they can play both

a 6 week window out of 52 weeks isnt that much to ask - of course a lot of players would want ot play in the competition, t20 by all players accounts is fun; and the amount of money that can be earnt in such a short time, who could blame them for wanting to take part if the opportunity's there? i certainly know if i had the opportunity to earn in 6 weeks what i could in 52, doing a comparable job id do it.

i blame the icc, not the ipl. all the ipl's done is pump money into the game and created a domestic competition in another country which will not only improve and evolve the skill sets of the players involved; but also i believe help alleviate the racial tensions etc that weve seen over the last summer in particular due to culture clashes; and bring cricket back to a good spirit again (not that i think cricket was ever as a whole played in the wrong spirit, but there were certainly a few instances, and i think this will help overcome these).

so yeah - if the icc stop the grab for cash and choose to cooexist iwth the ipl by creating a window (theyd be stupid not to) then careers wont be jeapordised etc and all this crap can stop and people can enjoy it for what it is - a game, that clearly lookign at crowd, audience and player feedback, a lot of people enjoy

blakegman

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
Evolution. Whether you like it or not, you can't avoid it.
Not necessarily. i Can think of numerous times when a sport has had a massive overhaul and it has been shit for the game and they reverted.

Top of my head the super league battle of rugby league.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)