iPod Alternatives (iPod Lovers Not Allowed To Post Their Love For the iPod) (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Mods, I've sifted through the threads, and I just want a better, succinct thread.

Unless you have gone through an iPod that has gone and died, but have a reason to buy the iPod AGAIN, do not post in this thread.

iRiver?
Sony?
Creative?
Gigabeat?

I don't want to be fucked around anymore by the ipod.

I'm generally a long term thinker. I have a ginormous amount of music, and don't care about photos or videos or radio. My music formats are mp3 and wma, and I have softwares that convert, so I don't care about the formats. Fuck the appearance, its inside that counts. I want a good relationship with an mp3 player who won't screw me around.

I've heard, through mere searching through the internet that previous angry ipod owners buy the ipod again, but buy extended warranty.

I need constructive posts please, none of this "YEAAHHH IRIVER IS DA BEST!"

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
MuffinMan said:
hmmz whats wrong with the ipod?
Well despite everyone's suspicions of how an ipod dies, my ipod died but I loved it, took care of it, had a case for it, earnt it with my own money i worked for so i was severely protective of it.

I've had it for a year and a month, and now its died. I've already gone through all the hassles one usually would to revive an ipod. I've been there, done it, whinged about it, didn't make a thread about it, wouldn't want to do it again.

So I'm up to the next step, and going for alternatives.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iAudio M3, M5, X5 if you want video.
Rio Karma
iRiver H-10 (a little too ugly for my liking)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
hmm in this dick smiths catalogue here they have this toshiba gigabeat 20gb mpe player for $279 which seems to be a pretty good price. not sure if it's any good though

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
I can't remember what it's called, but the creative ones advertised on the sides of buses that come in like 10 different colours. Tho my creative is in service atm ( I got a muvo slim, not the same 1 I'm talking about ) I have heard this one is pretty good. It costs $300 I think.

And that toshiba one looks sweet as ^^

HSC
my friend has this one and she has had no trouble with it. its perfect if you don't mind it being abit bigger than the nano

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Please follow the thread poster's request for constructive replies - posts talking about the ipod are NOT what this topic is about- this topic is meant for Ipod ALTERNATIVES ONLY. Irrelevant posts will be removed.

In order of preference, you have three main choices I'd say (Iriver, creative players, olympus):

Iriver - This actually looks quite nice, but the main *I'm* turned off by it, is the size. A bit too chunky for me, but I have a good friend who has one, and he loves it. Has all your standard playback features et cetera. There are varied models here, so you have a bit of flexibility. This seems the widest choice of non-ipod players of late, also.

Creative Zen - Not a fan of creative players after they went from flash based -> hard drive (leading to failures etc), but this seems like an alright alternative. The zen does look visually appealing, but in terms of everything else, it's probably not the first place you should be looking for a player.

Olympus m:robe - I'd stay from this for the moment, has sporadic reports of failures after not that long, but in the future this might be cool. So waste of time looking into this.

Hm, so, yeah. I'd look into the Iriver and see what the latest (try this site), and then compare it to anything else others suggest here :)

hachoo

HSC
Anything Creative or iRivier is good. That Toshiba Gigabeat is very cheap, and reasonably good quality. Don't know about the sound quality.

Another one i'd recommend from experience is the Creative Zen Neeon 6Gb. They sell at David Jones locally in Adelaide for $250. Basic MP3 player. Mono screen, but has real damn good sound quality. The earphones supplied with it are above average and the player itself is light and durable. You can also get cool skins for it :)
http://au.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=12214

If you want the option of movies, then the Zen Vision: M wins hands down. They hold 30GB and have the best quality audio available at this point in time. Forget the IPod Video crap... this has better picture quality, audio quality, looks, and the support to back it up. These sell for... $450~. The amount of features it has is huge... FM Radio, Voice recorder etc....
http://au.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14331

Hope that helps. No i'm not a Creative enthusiast.

ehcoroche

HSC
g'day
i got a SONY NWHD5 a little bit ago, 4 mths or so, and the player is and always has been bloody amazing, when i got it, sonicstage was...well abismal, it wouldnt work on my computer etc etc, but when sony bought out the new line of MP3 players, the coloured ones, they updated Sonicstage and, lo' and behold, IT WORKS, so now the main problem has been fixed and i would recomend the NWHD5 to any1, rated, 40 hour battery life, and for me, i like to chop and change my music fairly ofter i usually, like regularly get a good 20-25 hours worth, train tavel and class use and whatever else, use it in my car,
so basically what im saying is this ive had a darn good time of it with my sony, i havent used one of the new ones but if all they did was improve it, id recomend it in a instant

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
MedNez said:
Creative Zen - Not a fan of creative players after they went from flash based -> hard drive (leading to failures etc), but this seems like an alright alternative. The zen does look visually appealing, but in terms of everything else, it's probably not the first place you should be looking for a player.
Yeah that's the one I was talking about. Can always remember all the pretty colours and so fourth, but never the name. Lol. I heard just a handful of reviews and they seemed alright. But they are getting a tad old now, look for something newer.

Pace_T

HSC
well i have a samsung yh j70 which is pretty good but im gonna sell it 4 about 250$ n e way. didnt even have it long
retails about 500 but its cheaper now i think
y not just get a flash drive player?

HSC
*slurtznow&4eva said:
my friend has this one and she has had no trouble with it. its perfect if you don't mind it being abit bigger than the nano

same, my brother has the iriver H340 and it is the sex, a nice alternative to ipod

Legham

HSC
I also have an iRiver H340, and it is reliable as anything. I've had it for a year, dropped it numerous times, and the only problem today is the battery is starting to lose capacity. And i'm not the kind of person who takes good care of their stuff. If you're looking for reliability, the iRiver H300 series mp3 players are for you. Although, i think you'll have to get it off ebay nowadays because they were discontinued a while back (bad move by iRiver).

Also, the H300's are SUPER customizeable. Not only are there hundreds and hundreds of themes available off the internet, but if you don't mind voiding your warranty (which probably wont exist if you buy it off ebay) you can undo the screws and stick a bit of paper or something behind the clear casing. The possibilities are endless!
pics of some of my previous skins:
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8745/12oz.jpg
http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=936jj.jpg
http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1005at.jpg

vizman

HSC
i've got the creative zen micro 5gb , ok its not the flashiest player - no videos, colour etc. but it certainly does the job for a good price

have a look at the new creative zen photo and zen vision

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)