Ipod Virus? (1 Viewer)

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
After talking to one of my friends about ipods, he brought up the fact that their are now viruses for ipods & mobile phones and other electrical stuff. I didnt quite believe him, nevertheless i plugged mine in and had a poke around some of the folders. In a folder i called backup, at least 3 months ago and never went back to til just now i found all this stuff

i was a little bit shocked at this discovery. Then when i went to check how big these files were and how much they were taking up i was further shocked to find

so i went to try and format the drive through windows, but it kept coming up saying the drive was in use. Even trying to "restore to factory defaults" through ipod updater was being crap. Keeps saying drive is in use when it is clearly not.

So whats the go here? am i being accosted by a Ipod virus? Nortons is not detectering any viruses & lavasoft adawre is not detecting any mal/ad/spy ware.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
iamsickofyear12 said:
Where did you get this 118gb ipod from?
I think the false reporting of the size is part of the problem.

The largest is 60GB

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Do you have another computer you can try it on ?

Try plugging the Ipod in, going straight to ipod updator and trying to fix it from there.

And no, I don't think you have an Ipod virus.

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
Where did you get this 118gb ipod from?
yeah i dont have a 118gb ipod, its just saying this folder is 118gb! its goddamn insane.

MedNez said:
Try plugging the Ipod in, going straight to ipod updator and trying to fix it from there.
does not work

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
if it was possible to put a virus on an ipod it would have happened years ago

no you don't have a virus you just have a bug in the software on your computer

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Exactly why is it impossible for iPods to get virii? :)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I would say it's be the same as the guys who demonstrated you could write a virus for a mobile phone. More or less just corrupts the firmware, as far as I could understand, haha.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Exactly why is it impossible for iPods to get virii? :)
because in order to really stuff up something which relies strictly on the firmware you will have to attack the firmware itself and this is only really possible when you update the firmware via a direct link and proper software which isn't easy

mobile phone is different story, depends on what kind of phone you are talking about..
the average phone can't have virii but a smartphone may because you can install software on them

HSC
you trying to say that the machine code register's wouldnt allow for common range of functions (like all CPUs) and only restrict it too simply what ipod does (encode and play)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well, my iPod after updating to the newest firmware decided to shit itself.

Tried resetting, formatting, etc, basically the screen flashed the apple logo on and off and just wouldnt turn on or anything.

Good thing its still under warranty, should get it back in 2-3 weeks.

HSC
christ thats really odd, you'd think complete firmware and format would do the trick, i guess you probably could find the problem but it'd be easier to just send it back and go without an ipod for under a month

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah my thoughts exactly, besides their problem not mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)