IPT Scaling (1 Viewer)

rama_v

HSC
DarkPrince_87 said:
ok so because IPT is essentially a hard course (alot of ppl dont do so good in IPT as they would in other subjects), im sure there are a few dozen smart people that will esentially get in the 90's but for everyone else the marks will probly drop heaps from that mostly in the 60's or 70's these marks woulda get aligned up into the 70's and 80's?
Scaling has to do with how the ppl that do IPT go in all of their other courses
See, a course like 4 unit maths gets scaled up heaps because almost all of the students who do 4 unit do extremely well in their other subjects. That means that the quality of the candidature of 4 unit is extremely high, hence it is scaled up. But because most people who do IPT do not do well in other subjects (well, this has been the trend in the last few years), IPT is scaled down.

Aligning has nothing to do with scaling. Aligning is done by the Board of Studies. They basically look at the exam and the guidelines, and set a raw mark cut off that they deem is suitable for band six, band five, band 4 etc. Almost always the marks are aligned UP.

DarkPrince_87

HSC
is scaling done individually or as a group, because i know i do well in all my other subjects including extension topics, so mine better get scaled up

rama_v

HSC
DarkPrince_87 said:
is scaling done individually or as a group, because i know i do well in all my other subjects including extension topics, so mine better get scaled up
as a group
Even if u ace all ur other subjects, if the subjects u do are scaled down, then you too will be scaled down (to the best of my understanding)

DarkPrince_87

HSC
but how does anyone know if all the smart people dont do IPT...is it really that unrealistic? i for one do extension maths so does 2 others in my class, 4 people in the class do bio and one or two do physics...whos to say that all *jocks* do IPT....coz i certainly hope not

rama_v

HSC
DarkPrince_87 said:
but how does anyone know if all the smart people dont do IPT...is it really that unrealistic? i for one do extension maths so does 2 others in my class, 4 people in the class do bio and one or two do physics...whos to say that all *jocks* do IPT....coz i certainly hope not
Yeah but the trend has been, in previous years, that smart ppl dont tend to do ipt :p
It could change this year though, but its anyones guess

DarkPrince_87

HSC
i was under the impression it would even out, as computers are a big thing in this high technological age and thought smart ppl would be doing it such as myself....since maths is recommended i thought a fair few ext 2 ppl would be doing it, on the other hand i know there are some ppl mainly jocks who chose the subject in mistake for IT which will be bad...as long as i dont get scaled down too much coz i want to get a band 5

adambra

HSC
IPT should be scaled -200. Joke of a subject. And yes, I do it.

pete_mate

HSC
miss_gtr said:
sick, im 1st in ipt... i finished with 85, though i will get owned by all the posh sydney-ers...well anyone not from the bush. i reckon i'll get a band 4 atleast.
too right, i'll own you good

it should be scaled down, look at the textbook, its tiny, much smaller than business studies.

though, if i get a band 6 it wont scale down so i dont really care, and i already know so much about computers and can bs technichal stuff, mhz gpu clockspeed, CRT LCD, csma/cd 44.1khz, 16bit, packets, packetloss, watts, capacitors, blah blah

Last edited:

DarkPrince_87

HSC
lol i wouldnt be calling that technical but thats just me, yeh i know the text book is tiny but the test is fairly hard and shit, those data flow diagrams no matter how good i do em my teacher takes off marks so easily, just for having a wrong word somewhere relating to a process hell deduct 2 marks not 1 but 2, our teacher was so shit.......if u get a band 6 why wont it scale you down?

hipPo3

HSC
adambra said:
IPT should be scaled -200. Joke of a subject. And yes, I do it.
yes it should .. i dont do it but ive done some past papers (only cause i cbfed to goto class) and the Q's i did were piss easy

pete_mate

HSC
DarkPrince_87 said:
lol i wouldnt be calling that technical but thats just me, yeh i know the text book is tiny but the test is fairly hard and shit, those data flow diagrams no matter how good i do em my teacher takes off marks so easily, just for having a wrong word somewhere relating to a process hell deduct 2 marks not 1 but 2, our teacher was so shit.......if u get a band 6 why wont it scale you down?
it just doesnt apparently, you get band 6's in all easy subjects you can get 98 etc., lets have a jargon contest then, you got msn?

DarkPrince_87

HSC
i wouldnt say IPT is the hardest topic but its definately not the easiest and if it gets scaled down just because dumb people do it that is a load of crap, either way im still expecting a band 5/6 so yeh doesnt worry me too much but i sitll think its crap

hipPo3

HSC
miss_gtr said:
You shouldnt discount IPT, its not like its the dumbest subject, on a level its still a bit challenging.
i wasnt .. but i am saying that some of the questions are basic knowledge (IMO, only because ive played so many games ive picked this up naturally)

DarkPrince_87 said:
i wouldnt say IPT is the hardest topic but its definately not the easiest and if it gets scaled down just because dumb people do it that is a load of crap, either way im still expecting a band 5/6 so yeh doesnt worry me too much but i sitll think its crap
those dumb poeple are draggin u down .. that the problem.

Hsc exam = school vs school

DarkPrince_87

HSC
lol then help me get rid of them...if we somehow annihilate about 2000 each our marks will b better....what do u say if anyone asks well blame the missing ppl on someone else.....lol if its school vs school my school is screwed.....we are the dumbest school in the state.....also for business studies i dont have a teacher so i do it thru distance ed....which means i bludge the work and dont take any of it in......wow im dreading that test but then again i have like 8 days to study for it after ipt so yeh i should learn a lil bit

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
miss_gtr said:
sick, im 1st in ipt... i finished with 85, though i will get owned by all the posh sydney-ers...well anyone not from the bush. i reckon i'll get a band 4 atleast.
Wow... another chick topping IPT~ No girls in my school.

I wonder how I'll go in IPT... competing with all those yr10s from other smartass schools >_> I'd post my marks like other ppl here did but there's no point- each school marks differently and our school only lets us do Catholic Schools papers for practice.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
miss_gtr said:
umm i think its like a computer robot thing, and someone on bos was going to make it quiz us on ipt questions on irc or something.
If anyone can be bothered to do it- just download a trivia bot (there's heaps of mIRC trivia bots out there on the net) and then you have to make up questions for it.

HSC
N/A
ipt isnt really scaled superly much
however - even though BOS (this one) says it's scaled negatively - if you get a reasonable mark - i.e. 75+ it's not really scaled negatively..
if that makes any sense

hmm
well IPT is probably my BEST subject but yeah - my best is a mark of 79% for the CSSA trial - with a few good marks throughout the year. However, taking into account that the HSC exam is worth 5o% of the IPT course, I can make sure to boost that to like .. something higher

anyway; what i'm trying to say (in relation to the first post) is that it still is possible to get band five/six with a trial result of 7o something %

hmm

that was a whole lot of rambling

HSC
Yeah that was me...Yes its a Trivia bot with 80 or so IPT questions.

p.s liking IPT i think really depends on what sort of teacher you have...and some of the questions can be challenging ..
most are easy though.

HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
not sure about a band 6, but a band 5 definetely if you do well..... im guessing a mid 80 mark could make a band 6 this year....
haha yeah - well, band five then
lol

hmm

anyway - so long as i get say .. 9o%ish in the hsc

*fingers crossed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)