IPT Study Thread (1 Viewer)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
LiL-Azn said:
Differentiate between Ring and Star topologies. Identify the type of communication protocol each topology uses. (4 marks)

:D
Ring is where each node is connected directly to each other in the shape of a continuous circle. Star is where each node is connected to a central device (usually a mainframe), all data sent goes through the central computer first. Requires extra cabling.

Ring topology uses a Token Ring, it's a special data packet that a node can capture and attach data as well as the addressing information and it is sent to the required node. An acknowledgement is sent back with that token so the first node knows it was successfully received.

My textbook has Ethernet and Token ring, nothing for Star topology only Bus/Ring.

taker0

HSC
hollyy. said:
what are the protocols for them?
the protocol for ring is token ring protocol...but i dont no the star protocol.

but the protocol for bus is CDMA/CS or somethin like that i think...

Question: What does NIC stand for, and what does it do?

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
MrKim said:
Well hypermedia and hypertext arent really examples of anything. They are just the names given to when they redirect you to another link.
i think hypermedia is the name given to the system
while hyper text is the actual links that link you to another computer or node

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
hollyy. said:
Ring: no. of nodes connected via a closed loop. if a node fails, the ring is broken and data transfer stops. therefore some topologies incorporate a dual-ring structure to provide for recovery.

Star: nodes are attached to a central point , common in LANs. The central device (hub) acts as a switching station, connecting nodes and providing access to other devices. if one node fails the network can continue working.

Q: (multimedia): differentiate between cel based and path based animation.
Cell-based is where each frame is drawn from scratch, takes up a lot of processing as well as time. Path-based is where an object is drawn and manipulated on a fixed background in a particular sequence.

Briefly describe the two methods of handshaking

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
taker0 said:

csma/cd
carrier sense multiple asess/ collusion detection
token ring. u use tokens and when a free one comes along you add data to it.
i think
there could be no error on the star network cause
the central computer or switch directs the data

network interface card is like an expansion slot thingy you put in the expansion slot of a computer to allow it to gain access to the network.

What is user documentation and what does it do?

LiL-Azn

R-R-Remix!!
HSC
hollyy. said:
Ring: no. of nodes connected via a closed loop. if a node fails, the ring is broken and data transfer stops. therefore some topologies incorporate a dual-ring structure to provide for recovery.

Star: nodes are attached to a central point , common in LANs. The central device (hub) acts as a switching station, connecting nodes and providing access to other devices. if one node fails the network can continue working.

Q: (multimedia): differentiate between cel based and path based animation.

The protocols for them are Token Ring for Ring topology and CSMA/CD or Ethernet protocol for star topology.

Cel-based animation is the creation of animation by creating each frame. This gives the animator total control over the animation.

Path-based animation is the creation of animation by using key frames and the aspect of tweening. This is a fast method to create animations and does not give full control to the animator.

:santa: i pray for x'mas!! best time of the year.. coz its so relaxing. rofl :D

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
Makro said:
Cell-based is where each frame is drawn from scratch, takes up a lot of processing as well as time. Path-based is where an object is drawn and manipulated on a fixed background in a particular sequence.

err umm
hardware and software handshaking

hardware is like the handshaking of different hardware with different capabilities
while software is like the monitoring of the flow of information

one of them is like
xon/xoff or something

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Makro said:

is that x-modem and z-modem?

JosephW

HSC
taker0 said:

Protocol for Bus and Star is ethernet. Ethernet uses Carrier sense multiple access/collision detection which lets nodes 'listen' on a network to see if they are able to transmit. IF a collision occurs, then both nodes back off and re transmit at a later time (all this is done in split seconds).

As for your question, a Network Interface Card is an expansion card which allows a computer to be on a network. It assigns each computer a unique address.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
umm x modem and z modem are protocols

its like http or ftp
ahh k.

Q: compare and contrast a decision tree with a decision table.

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
a decsision tree outlines all of the outcomes with branches and roots
when a decision table outlines all the possible conditions and rules

What is user documentation and what does it do?

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Makro said:

Hardware Flow Control + Software Flow Control.

HFC: uses a wire, and for short distances, as it is only practical when devices are close enough to be linked by a wire. Uses the protocol RTS/CTS (Request to send/Clear to send).

SFC: Special code sent with the data and used for long distance communication. Uses the protocol XON/XOFF (X = transmission).

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
hollyy. said:
new question:
describe the issues relating to messaging systems (comm)
social context, danger of misinterpretation, power relationships, privacy + confidentiality, junk mail, info overload.

Social context - messages delivered through a MS appear less forceful and caring than those delivered personally.

Danger of misinterpretation - communication often depends on the speaker's tone and attitude and body language. Difficult when communicating via phone or email.

Power relationships - with MSs lower level staff can directly contact higher level staff. Communication through middle management is lost.

Privacy - Messages are stored on MSs and there's no guarantee of privacy.

Junk mail - excessive email junk mail can be stressing and a waste of time to the user.

Information overload - with IT and furthermore MSs lots of information has to be absorbed. Users can get 100s of emails a day, this can cause stress and increase workload.

Is voting liberal 4 PM
HSC
hollyy. said:
new question:
describe the issues relating to messaging systems (comm)
data security - does the data only end up to the intended recipient?
- encryption

data integrity - does the message arrive in tact?
- error detection methods

changing nature of work
- decreased 'real' social interactions may lead to isolation
-increased cyber interaction may break down mobility barriers for workers thus making them work at home without any sort of pressure from management

can intangible data replace physical or analogue data
-paper vs binary
-portable storage vs online transfer

Question: Design an ER diagram for a thread messaging system, which allows messages by users to be sorted easily.

noturningback

HSC
ready as I can be
I think its hard to be 100% prepared because of the wide range of questions they can ask you
eg. they asked an 8 mark question on Group decision support systems (for the DSS option) in 2001 and have not asked it since.
Hope they dont ask it tommorow

LiL-Azn

R-R-Remix!!
HSC
Anyone feelin like they missed out on studying something? I feel knowledge-less coz of the stupid syllabus...

Anyone ready?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ive just finished reading over project work. i still havent studied the rest yet.:uhoh:

lol

:rolleyes:

:read:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)