Irp Survey: Anorexia. Please Do =] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

respect90

HSC
hey guys, i really need to get a move on with my primary research. this is my questionnaire it would mean SO much to me if you's could participate. also does anyone know the process to go about in acquiring an interview with a pyschologist, dietician...someone who would have expert opinion on issues such as anorexia and body image??

respect90

HSC
What do YOU think is the cause of anorexia among teenage girls in today’s society?

Thank you for participating in this questionnaire. The information you provide will remain confidential and you do not need to provide your name.

Please circle your response

I am a: boy girl

I am: 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

I have a reasonable knowledge on anorexia: true false

I know someone with anorexia: true false

I have experienced anorexia: true false

I am experiencing anorexia: true false

The cause of anorexia is Media Family

School Friends

Technology Work

I think this because:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Other causes of anorexia could be:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Because:
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Rate the following, with 1 being the least likely cause of anorexia and 6 being the most likely cause of anorexia:
Media
Family
School
Friends
Technology
Work

yvettemaree47

HSC
I am a: girl

I am: 16

I have a reasonable knowledge on anorexia: true

I know someone with anorexia: false

I have experienced anorexia: false

I am experiencing anorexia: false

School Friends

Technology Work

I think this because:
There is increasing pressure on people to fit society's "ideal" mold, and a lot this pressure comes from the aforementioned causes. In my belief, media and peer pressure are probably the most significant causes of Anorexia.

A lack of control in the person's life.

Because:
As the person feels they have no or little control over their life for one reason or another, they turn to one of the only things they feel they can control; their weight.

Rate the following, with 1 being the least likely cause of anorexia and 6 being the most likely cause of anorexia:
6. Media
1.Family
5.School
4.Friends
3.Technology
2.Work

Faye.Louise

HSC
I am: 17

The cause of anorexia is Media

School Friends

I think this because:
Young girls especially are feeling so pressured to look beautiful and perfect all of the time, and part of looking beautiful is being thin. How are girls supposed to accept that they are beautiful the way they are when all their favourite magazines are full if new fad diets, skinny girls in bikinis and when their favourite celebs whom they idolise are skinny, and some even annorexic?

Friends
Because:
Everyone wants to fit in and be "popular". If the rest of the group is skinny and perfect, then some people will do whatever it takes to fit in.

Media 1
Family 6
School 3
Friends 2
Technology 5
Work 4

*Buttercup*

HSC
What do YOU think is the cause of anorexia among teenage girls in today’s society?

Thank you for participating in this questionnaire. The information you provide will remain confidential and you do not need to provide your name.

I am: 20

I know someone with anorexia: true

The cause of anorexia is Media

I think this because:
I do not actually think the media causes anorexia, I think it is caused by psychological problems, like the individual feeling like they can't control their life, or having low self-esteem. however, I don't think the media helps. We are developing a culture where perfection is the minimum standard, and this contributes to low self-esteem, particularly in teenage girls, which then can develop into an eating disorder.

I think the most significant causes of eating disorders are low self-esteem, low level of control, and depression

Because:
extreme dieting can offer some control over one aspect of the individual's life.
a person with low self-esteem is more likely to think they are fat when they aren't.
depression often goes hand-in-hand with eating disorders, and it affects their cognitive processes, which then causes them to see their bodies in an unrealistic way.

Media 6
Family 5
School 4
Friends 3
Technology 1
Work 2

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC

School Friends

Technology Work

I think this because:
Girls can feel pressured by media, family and friends to fit perfection. For example, a girl constantly being pressured by her mother to lose weight when she is already an average weight.
School, work
Because:
People can feel out of control of these things, and by knowing they are directly influencing their weight/health then they feel they have control of their life

Media 1
Family 2
School 4
Friends 3
Technology 6
Work 5

jessica.ann

HSC

I am: 16

I have experienced anorexia: i hav had a few close friends deal with ana and this has had an impact of me

School Friends

Technology Work

I think this because:
Control, basically, ppl need control in their lives and being a teenager it can often feel that u are not in control of ur existence thanks to family, school, coaches etc... this need for control can be found in an ed... girls and guys too feel that they can atleast control what they put in their bodies, if not anything else
stress related places, such as school, the need to do well and meet expectations is stressful and this stress sometimes comes out as an ed
Because:
ed are a control on ones life and a way with dealing with certain emotions. starvation slows down metabolism, and slows down the processes of chemicals in the brain effecting moods.

Media 5
Family 4
School 2
Friends 1
Technology 6
Work 3

thesoftparade

HSC

The cause of anorexia is Media, Family, School, Friends, Technology, Work

I think this because:
I think it's due to a number of reasons. For me, I'd say Media would be the big one - how it constantly shoves the idea that thin is beautiful down our throats. I think the other factors are secondary reasons, if you're friends were skanks who only befriended Size Twos/Zeros, then that could have a negative impact on your own body image. Same goes for family and work. As for Technology, I'm not really sure what you mean, 'technology' is quite vague. I don't think 'school' plays a big role, though I think school friends definitely do.

Media 6
Family 2
School 2
Friends 5
Technology ?
Work 4

G'luck.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

The cause of anorexia is Media Family School Friends Technology Work

Media 5
Family 4
School 3
Friends 6
Technology 1
Work 2

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC

School Friends

Technology Work

I think this because:
Retain popularity and remain acceptable in terms of body image in today's insane expectations on body image__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Because:

Media (1)
Family (5)
School (2)
Friends (4)
Technology (6)
Work (3)

respect90

HSC
in reply to exphate, the reason why its only focused on eating disorders in female adolescents is because my teacher didn't want me to be too broad (i originally wanted to do eating disorders among both genders and of all ages)...........so yea. and whatever my teacher suggests, i follow...cause shes the one who's gonna be marking it :) lmao so yeh hope that answers your question...and thanks to everyone whos filling this survey in, please keep it coming!!

chiaraaa

HSC

The cause of anorexia is
Media

I think this because: society is bombarded with images of the ideal beauty, which is not only unrealistic but difficult to achieve. females/males go to great measures to 'fit in' to the criteria of what makes an individual beautiful.

Friends
Because:
If an individual is surrounded by people who constantly talk of their desire to be thin and place pressure on others to do the same, that person might succumb to that pressure because it is accepted by the majority.

Media 6
Family 4
School 3
Friends 5
Technology 1
Work 2

BamBam90

HSC

The cause of anorexia is: Media

I think this because: Mostly I think this because of the idea that 'perfection' comes at the price of being thin. Most teenage girls are heavily influenced by famous actresses/singers/etc, and these women are all quite skinny. So they then feel that in order to be beautiful, they have to be thin.

Media (6)
Family (3)
School (4)
Friends (5)
Technology (1)
Work (2)

lorikeet

New Year's Eve
HSC
What do YOU think is the cause of anorexia among teenage girls in today’s society? I think it's a combination of the media's tireless depiction of the only 'acceptable' body and the adolescent phase of self discovery, needing to find a sense of worth and purpose.

The cause of anorexia is .....a combination. depends on each situation.

I think this because:
There is no one easy, definable cause. each person has a unique experience, in a unique situation. I think the media, school friends, and at times family all play parts.

Because:

Media 6
Family 3
School 4
Friends 5
Technology 1
Work 2

Muz4PM

HSC
I am a: Boy

The cause of anorexia is

Media
School
Friends

I think this because:

I believe that anorexia is caused primarily by the media and peers, most of the time inadvertently. The media, broadcast images of ‘beautiful’ people who are often slender and popular. This stereotype of slenderness and popularity, coupled with a multitude of other thin famous people further the stereotype that to be thin means that you will be happy and successful. Colleagues at school like the media often inadvertently cause anorexia amongst their peers. This is because those who are thin (along with other things) are considered good looking by the opposite sex, and as such, some may incorrectly assume that their lack of success stems from a self notion of being overweight. Also, comments about other people being ‘large’ and ‘fat’ might make one who feels insecure about their weight to descend into anorexic habits.

Self esteem.

Because:
Those who maybe a little down on themselves may perceive, radically that they must change drastically, and as such cases of anorexia and bulimia are noted.

Media 1
Family 5
School 2
Friends 4
Technology 6
Work 3

SarahY11

HSC

School Friends

Technology Work

I think this because:
Because friends are always a have a bif influece in everything __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
peson's low self esteem and how they see their body image __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Because:
people with low self esteem wouldn't like their body image therefore they would do anything to change how they look __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Media 5
Family 3
School 4
Friends 6
Technology 1
Work 2

jazzbaby

HSC

School Friends

Technology Work

I think this because:

its both the media and family..there is constant pressure being put on girls to be skinny.. have u ever seen a fat news reporter? i think not! and if ur slightly overweight u might be teased at school..

eating habits
Because:
if u dont eat then u probably have some eating disorder

Media 1
Family 5
School 2
Friends 6
Technology 3
Work 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)