• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Irp - youth - survey - help! (1 Viewer)

bonniekaterose

HSC
Hey :)

Im have a little trouble with my IRP surveys. Not to sure on the depth and detail in which we need.
Any suggestions for questions for my question ?
it is:
"Does the media reinforces the idea that teenage girls should be more concerned with their looks, size and being accepted by others instead of being themselves and being happy"

Thanks,
Bonniee : )

HSC
all i can say is you're going to have to be careful not to ask things that are 'too personal' because of all that ethics stuff.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
i think you should rephrase the q to

' " HOW does the media reinforces the idea that teenage girls should be more concerned with their looks, size and being accepted by others instead of being themselves and being happy?"

more open ended. teachers like open ended q's as oposed to close ended :) by saying HOW you can tie in secondary lit stuff (i.e. teen mags, tv shows, books, marketing products aimed at teens e.g. pimple product ads etc)... and use the evidence as a secondary source to back up your hypothesis.

you've also got to define 'happy.' maybe cut out or rephrase the bit about 'instead of being themselves and happy?' because what if they are themselves and arent happy? obviously some teen girls are seeking to change because they arent happy with who they are in the first place. and NOT because some product/media influence initiated that change. could be parents, could be peers etc. to make it more appropriate to your irp...maybe something along the lines of

'How does the media reinforce the idea that teenage girls should be more concerned with their looks, size and being accepted by others, which undermines their individual self esteem?'

because 'happy' is too ambiguous. and too difficult to explain. 'self esteem' at least has a universal definition. and then i think u'll find it better/easier to fill in surveys.

POSSIBLE Q'S/LINES OF THOUGHT

* search for dolly/girlfriend readers and ask them why they buy their magazines. you can easily find readers on dolly/gf websites cos they have online forums/chatrooms etc. ask them whether they have been influenced into buying a particular product because of a celebrity endorsement. so thats one way of getting an idea of the 'media' from a teen literature point of view.

* get in contact with a producer of a popular teen product thats been advertised on tv, radio, mags etc. and ask them HOW they try and make their product appeal to young people (e.g. the person behind clearasil/clean and clear etc). if thats too difficult you could try and email the editor or advertising department of dolly and see how they try and market products that they're paid to sell. just explain who you are, that you're doing the survey for a Year 12 assignment into products marketed towards teen girls, and i think they'll want to help :)

and thats all i can come up with @ the moment. hope i helped :headbang:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)