Irrationality question. (2 Viewers)

seanieg89

HSC
"You can find your phone number in any irrational number"

Prove this statement or provide a counter-example.

seanieg89

HSC
Related: Prove or disprove that a real number is rational if and only if its decimal expansion eventually consists of a repeating string.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Related: Prove or disprove that a real number is rational if and only if its decimal expansion eventually consists of a repeating string.
Suppose we have a real number R with a repeating string of a FINITE number of decimals (infinite string would imply irrationality, though I'm sure proof is needed). We denote the digits of this string to be b_1, b_2, b_3, ..., b_{m-n} such that the number (we don't know if rational or not yet) is in the form:

Where [R] is the integer component of R, a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n is the finite decimal component leading up to the repeating string b_1 + b_2 + ... + b_{m-n} (the bar on top denotes its repetition).

For simplicity, we will call this repeating string B_{m-n} and the finite decimal component A_n such that R decomposes to become:

Even if R < 0, we can still do the exact same things, except replace all the + with - (equivalent to multiplying both sides by -1), so we will only consider the positive case.

[R] is an integer by definition, so we need not consider it.

A is a finite string of RATIONAL terms by definition again.

B consists of a string of repeating digits, which we will define to be b (ie for B = 0.123123..., b = 123)such that

And we recognise this to be a GP with the ratio |r| < 1, implying that it is convergent and using the limiting sum formula, we acquire a rational term ie: B is rational.

So now we have R = [R] + A + B, where A is rational and B is rational and since the field of Rational Numbers (Q) is closed under addition (is an integer considered to be rational?), we conclude that R is rational.

I probably could have communicated this in a clearer fashion but essentially, my argument is as follows:

1. The repeating string of digits form a GP with |r| < 1 such that we can use the Limiting Sum formula.

2. This formula yields a rational number.

3. Rational + Rational --> Rational since Q is closed under addition.

4. Therefore the number is rational.

seanieg89

HSC
Yep, for finite repeating strings a GP approach will work or the old (10^k)x-1 trick to obtain a number with finitely many nonzero digits to the right of it's decimal point.

I think the harder/more tedious thing is showing that this is a NECESSARY condition for rationality. I can think of a way of doing it using long division and induction, but it's not particularly pretty.

As a corollary of this result, we get that Liouville's constant is irrational and hence resolve the first question in the negative.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
iirc, in Discrete Maths my tutor used the pigeonhole principle to prove that a number is rational if it has a decimal expansion that repeats

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
iirc, in Discrete Maths my tutor used the pigeonhole principle to prove that a number is rational if it has a decimal expansion that repeats
Yep!

Suppose we have a rational number p/q where p,q are integers and p E [1,q) and q > 1.

Let r_0 be the first remainder from the long division process such that:

So we can clearly see that a_1, a_2 , ... , a_q are the decimal expansion digits of the division of p/q.

So we know that the remainders r_0, r_1, r_2, ..., r_q exist in [0,q-1]

Using the Pigeonhole Principle, there exists some pair r_m and r_n such that:

And so we can conclude that:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)