Is 14 Units Suicide? (1 Viewer)

dangerousdave

HSC
Is 14 units suicide, with 4 units of math.

Is anybody else doing 14 units or has done 14 units? any advice?

I'm doing:
Chem
Phys
Eng Adv
4u math
SoR 2
Eco

wmc

lala
HSC
N/A
i did 4u maths, 4u eng, phys, chem, econs. if you like what you're doing, you can do it.
just don't stress too much.

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
wmc said:
i did 4u maths, 4u eng, phys, chem, econs. if you like what you're doing, you can do it.
just don't stress too much.
you "did"? so you've finished the hsc course yeah? how'd you handle it?!

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
only 10 units count to your HSC, so why would you want to do an extra 4 that dont count?
it will burn you out, seriously

if you're a freak u can handle it, but i think you'll be doing too much extra for ur own good.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm doing 14-

4U English, General Maths, IPT, Ancient History, Earth and Environmental, Physics.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
waht u like at skool,do u mind workin till alll ours of the night? it is possible but u shouldn't put urself through the stree, 12u is plenty u even have the security of coverin ur ass if u screw up a subject, as long as it isn't english :p

praise897

Alcoholic
HSC
i recommend dropping a sub...only 10 units count....theres just no point wasting ur time

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
dangerousdave said:

I'm doing:
Chem
Phys
Eng Adv
4u math
SoR 2
Eco

i know someone doing the EXACT same subjects as u, except 13 units ( ext eng, instead of sor2)

It would be about the same workload, you can always try it and drop if you dont like/cant handle it. remember you dont need to make firm commitments now, although you should commit yoursself to placing effort into your courses.

dangerousdave

HSC
I talked to my teacher today, he said he strongly advises me to drop to at least 13 units. He also said if I really wanted to i could try 14 units and if I can't handle it, then drop something. So I've decided to go with 14 units for a few weeks.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i was doin 14 units but dropped 2 12 just after the start of term 2. i suggest u stay with the 14 units but if u think or u start 2 not bieng able to handle it drop a subject asap. afterall, it will affect all your other subjects

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I did 14 for prelim, but then dropped 2 beacuse i nearly died under it all in Prelim! I know someone who did 13, but he's really bright (not saying you arn't) and he could totally handle it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
dangerousdave said:

I'm doing:
Chem
Phys
Eng Adv
4u math
SoR 2
Eco
I congratulate you on your choices. It definatley leaves room for you to make decisions later when things get increasingly tense, and if by the end of the year, you still have more than 10, your chances of getting a good UAI increases. But remember the commitment and work you must put in because you are doing more than a 1/3 more than you need to.

ART

HSC
i know how you feel

:eek: even thogh i am going to do 13 units, not 14, i'm in the same situation:
2 (advanced) english
4 maths
2 modern
1 history extension
2 chemistry
2 physics
because i've heard that doing history extension is more work than a 2 unit course. Thus, ironically, i'm supposedly going to be doing more work doing only 13 units than i would doing 14 units. i love all my subjects and my maths and history teachers have been persuading me to pick up their extensions for all the past week. Does anyone have any advice for me too?
PS. I wont mind studying 10 hrs a day, as long as i can still figureskate once a week.

fantasia

HSC
it depends on what subjects that 14 units are made of. i actually am doing 15 units right now for my hsc.

- philosophy DC 2 units( probably took up 20-30 hours of my study the whole year. the workload isnt that high. i've finished my hsc for philo already, no exam for the hsc)
- ext 2 eng [1unit] (again its out of the way already)
so basically i have 3/15 units out of the way

i've accelerated in 3 unit maths last year, so i dont need to really study that, just practice ocassionally since i'm doing it again this year to get a better mark
eh the rest of the subjects is where i spend my time with. no i dont study 20 hours a day.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
dangerousdave said:
How are you coping with the workload?
It's not as bad as I thought it would be. In year 11 (13u) I survived quite well; and now that i've dropped from 2u Maths to General, that'll be easier (nevermind that i picked up Ext. 2 Eng ;) )

Ext 1. English is a lot of work, particularly on the extra-curricular reading, but it's not actually as hard as it's made out to be. You've just got to put in effort. ;)

Being a token procrastinator, I think I handled (and will handle) the workload well enough, particularly for things like EES, IPT and Ext. 2 Eng (and now G. Maths) - stuff I enjoy doing, thus I put in the effort and am good at it.

Just persevere, and 14u will be a breeze! Plus, it's great having that 4u (or two subjects, either way) leeway for the UAI. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)