Is 2 unit Maths much harder than General? (1 Viewer)

Year10er

HSC
I picked 2 unit maths, but I think I am probably going to drop down.

sick_kent

HSC
I'm doing the accelerated EX1 maths course,
I did some of the General maths topics when we covered the Year 10 course and they were pretty basic, no real strain on the ol' noggin.
But now with the prelim 2 unit course, It's a step up.

But are you in Year 11 now or have you picked 2 unit for next year? because you can't give something away before you've even tried.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
general maths is 'non-calculus'. you'll be learning new ideas in 2u

Bobbo1

HSC
I would definitely say give 2 unit maths a good go, if you find maths is not for you, it's better to change to something other subject like a history or humanity because general maths can really drag down your ATAR. Remember to do the subjects which will give you the best opportunity to score the highest marks

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You should try 2U-but not going to lie, once you get into it, 2U is a massive jump from general-but that's because for many general is very boring and simple.

2U at the start is all simple stuff you've done before, but it quickly builds with calculus etc.

rogerlam

HSC
definitely do 2U, youll end up regretting it if you just went straight to general, just study hard and see how you go

rawrnerozero

HSC
You could say General maths is hard on its own way, for 2 - 4 unit people they find General maths question quite annoying as it's more english than mathematical sentences.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You could say General maths is hard on its own way, for 2 - 4 unit people they find General maths question quite annoying as it's more english than mathematical sentences.
That reminds me, I loved the look on people's faces when in Discrete - the lecturer goes: "Oh by the way, when you're writing proofs you must use correct spelling and grammar, and you will lose marks if your arguments are written poorly". I was like: YAY!

But seriously, if they get pissed off transposing English word problems into mathematical symbols - they aren't real maths students. Mathematics is a problem solving tool and part of the 'problem solving' should be taking a problem written in English and putting it into a system of equations they can solve - and then solving the problem as a whole (note: not just the equations).

koreafantasy

HSC
General maths is mostly stuff you did in years 7-10 with little more new concepts to learn. 2 unit is where you do get some repeats of year 7-10 work, but a lot of the work has new concepts like calculus and its applications (around 40% of the course). However you do get easy topics like plane geometry (yearr 7-8 parallel lines, properties of quadrilaterals stuff), Quadratic equations and Basic Algebra/Arithmetic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)