• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is 3 hours a weeknight, 12 hours a weekend too much study?! (2 Viewers)

Callistogenic

HSC
Just wondering, because from tomorrow, that's how things will be looking. I need to pass my trials. I need a decent enough UAI as a backup plan, if my uni portfolio (which I'm also allocating fairly substantial slabs of my time towards) doesn't get me into my chosen degree. Too extreme? Anyone? Not enough?

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Your weekend study routine might be too much, but if you are really in the position where you need to put as much study as you can to do well in your trials then you'd need to try to make that 12 hour study routine as effective as possible, i.e. don't try 12 hours in a row, that will never work.

santaslayer

HSC
That was actually the timetable created for me by my maths tutor, so it isn't abnormal but I never stuck to it. You should do that if you are able to. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Unless you have extreme discipline abilities, sticking to a study timetable is almost impossible :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
It depends on each person. Twelve hours might not be enough for one person, but it might be excessive for another. If you're breaking down and feeling exhausted by monday morning at school, then it might be an indicator, but if its working then keep with it. just make sure to allow for breaks or you'll go insane! :p

Sugar

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Unless you have extreme discipline abilities, sticking to a study timetable is almost impossible :)
That's so true. I used to set a daily timetable of things to do each day, and I barely completed half of the tasks. :rolleyes:

3 hours seems okay on a weeknight, but 12 hours on the weekend sounds extreme!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
they say at our school, you should do 3 hours study a night ( including homework, assiments ect) and you should do 6 hours on weekends. so if you think what your planning to do, seems like too much, you could cut back on the weekend end study time, after all 6 hours a day sounds like HEAPS

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
My deputy says that if you do 3 hours a night and 10 hrs on the weekend, you will be guaranteed a UAI of 75+...Geez

I have nothing more to add to this :p

Last edited:

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ you would wanna get higher than 75, if you put in all that effort!

btw when people say "study:" are they includine homework in this figure? or just like studying for tests and reading notes?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I dont include HW, but this is steering off topic now :p

I do 80% of my HW during my frees

Ziff

HSC
N/A
[Brogden Mode]27hr's a week doesn't go far enough![/Brogden Mode]

On a more serious note, it depends on what works for you. It also depends if you study smart or if you study hard. It's probably more advantageous for the HSC and Trials that you study hard and just know everything. For individual assignments at school that you have a good idea for - study smart.

Then again, for some content intensive courses it's hard to study smart because there's just so much whereas for English it's easy to study smart because of the way it's structured. I know as the HSC approaches I'm just going to study my arse off and bombard my teachers with essays... poor teachers reading my appalling handwriting :p

clerisy

HSC
I'm doing about that much worth of work-- theoretically, homework, study and assessments. The problem is, of course, that in the end very little of it ends up on actual study-- I struggle to keep on top of assessments.

I am over school.

Callistogenic

HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
my god

when are your trials
My trials are next week... Although I've been busilly revising ages before I decided to put this into place. I just thought of giving myself the final 'edge', that's all.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by dreamcaster
My trials are next week... Although I've been busilly revising ages before I decided to put this into place. I just thought of giving myself the final 'edge', that's all.
holy shit

good luck :\

mine arent till week two next term.

good luck, just make sure you know how to apply the knowledge,

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
My trials are next week...
:eek: like KarmaKitten, mine arent until next term (week 3). I found that i studied consistantly througout the year (reading notes over and over) and found that i wasnt as stressed during the half yearlies. I didnt get as well as i wanted but it showed that consistant study and extra revision (past papers) will get you there in the end.

Miffy

Wow! Why are your trials so early??

Aerials

your member for ulladulla
HSC
yeh thats really surprising. Everyone Ive heard is having their trials in term 3 sometime... very strange indeed. What school do you go to dreamcaster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)