Is 3 major projects too many for the hsc???? (1 Viewer)

sedmo

HSC
I've picked up 13 units for year 12 with the intention of dropping at least one extension. However, at the moment I am doing english extension 2, history extension and society and culture with the daunting prospect of doing 3 major projects - the problem is I love all these subjects a lot! At the moment I really hate modern history and my teacher isn't that flash, so thinking of dropping that instead.
Is it possible to achieve high results and/or not have a breakdown if you do more than 2 majors??? Advice would be really appreciated ! :) :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I've picked up 13 units for year 12 with the intention of dropping at least one extension. However, at the moment I am doing english extension 2, history extension and society and culture with the daunting prospect of doing 3 major projects - the problem is I love all these subjects a lot! At the moment I really hate modern history and my teacher isn't that flash, so thinking of dropping that instead.
Is it possible to achieve high results and/or not have a breakdown if you do more than 2 majors??? Advice would be really appreciated ! :) :)
It seems like a lot to take on with the major projects. Though, there are no exams for EE2. You get to work on english all year.
Nothing is impossible, if you put your mind to it! :D

Chrasity

HSC
My advice is to do ALL the major projects!!! Hahaha, the experience that you get from doing all these subjects is worth every bit of your time. If you were to drop an extension subject, I wouldn't drop english extension 2. By the time you finish it, it would have no effect on the amount of study that you have done for your HSC. Plus, it's one unit towards your HSC already so that's a bonus. Personally, I did six major projects for my HSC this year and I've only had numero uno HSC related breakdowns this year with good results! It all comes down to time management really.

sedmo

HSC
wow thanks for that solid advice!
The possible degrees (law/journalism) I want to pursue don't have prerequisites so I'm in the clear there. I've kind of boxed myself into humanities options anyway because I dropped maths and science (best decision of my life ahh!). However, I definitely agree 13 units is just too much and I need to make a decision soon before assessments come up.
I guess the wise decision would be to drop s&c but I just find it so interesting I don't think I could bear to drop it! And I've done very well in history and english in prelim, so I think I could really build on that, hence why I don't want to drop the extensions! You can see my dilemma here!
While the prospect of so many majors is daunting, I think I already know in my heart that I'll keep them all and drop modern history - I do ancient as well so I'll still get my 'fill' of history.
I mean the thing that concerns me most is the amount of essays I have to write in the exams (e.g. my subjects: eng ad, eng ext 1, eng ext 2, ahis, mhis, s&c, legal, ext his) and I'm thinking dropping a 2 unit subject might alleviate some of the work load, especially since modern is so content based.... But of course there are still 3 majors.
I'm just getting myself even more confused and indecisive!!!! But thanks for the help :) :) :)

avro

HSC
I did those 3 major works. I managed. Need any further questions, pm me.

cornchips1

HSC
History Extension major work is NOT 6500 words, so I don't know what that person above is on about..

cornchips1

HSC
You'll be fine, though it's imperative you manage your time well, regarding history extension, I loved it and I would totally recommend doing it, it's really fun and enriching once you engage with your historical debate and didn't feel like a chore at all :)

cornchips1

HSC
Also perhaps dropping modern is a good idea as you're already getting a good intake of history from ancient AND history extension where you can choose to do a topic that fits within the modern timeframe anyways. Do whatever you feel is right, and I'm sure you will perform fantastically :)

Chrasity

HSC
Drop modern. It makes life instantaneously better. INSTANTANEOUSLY.

sedmo

HSC
Drop modern. It makes life instantaneously better. INSTANTANEOUSLY.
Oh the relief I will feel when I don't have to look at another source of a soldier doing something inane like shaving in the trenches!
Also: I believe ext history is around 2,500 or something... its not as large as many other majors so maybe not as concerning as I thought!
but thanks again for the advice guys!!!

sedmo

HSC
Also perhaps dropping modern is a good idea as you're already getting a good intake of history from ancient AND history extension where you can choose to do a topic that fits within the modern timeframe anyways. Do whatever you feel is right, and I'm sure you will perform fantastically :)
History extension is already one of my favourite subjects and I've only had 5 lessons of it, so there's no way I'm getting rid of it :) :) and thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)