• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is a 70 still possible based on assessment marks? (5 Viewers)

neuvie

HSC
so i got a conditional early entry offer for a uni that i really want to go to, probably the only good one out of the 3 offers i have right now
however the minimum requirement is 69 and my assessment marks have been awful
here are my subjects and approximate assessment marks out of 100 as well as ranks
maths advanced ~50-55 ranked 26/40
english advanced ~50 ranked 60/61
chemistry ~60 ranked 10/34
food technology ~70 ranked 5/26
physics ~40 ranked 20/26
btw my school is ranked around the 220s
graduating tmr and i actually have so much to revise as well as learn so im not confident that i can do decent at all
is a 69 still possible? :punch:

neuvie

HSC
ps. i guess the goal is to get the best possible marks that i can do but here would be ideal
maths advanced ~70
english advanced ~70
chemistry ~75
food technology ~80
physics ~65
it feels kind of pretentious and tbh im spending more time panicking than actually doing things 😭

HSC
I have the same worries as well, although i have done decent-good in a lot of my subjects there are some where i have been not so good- particularly extension history, so i worry about that!

If you get an answer let me know. You arent alone in your worries, if that makes you feel any better :)

zzz5428

HSC
So search up your school on HSC ninja, open it, control f and type in your subjects.

The number on the right is the number of B6's for the subject.

neuvie

HSC
So search up your school on HSC ninja, open it, control f and type in your subjects.

The number on the right is the number of B6's for the subject.
thank you very much, here are the results i got
eng adv 6
maths adv 1
chemistry none
physics none
food tech 1

zzz5428

HSC
Also if possible, could you provide school averages?

You may find them if you search up "[your school] HSC annual report" but if you can't its alright.

neuvie

HSC
Also if possible, could you provide school averages?

You may find them if you search up "[your school] HSC annual report" but if you can't its alright.
i found the averages for 2021-2023
eng adv 82.2
maths adv 78.2
chemistry 72
physics 72.6
food tech 73.9

zzz5428

HSC
It'll probably be very close to around 69-74 ish I think.

To be safe, try focusing on math, eng and chem as they are the highest scaling subjects so they'll pull ur marks up the highest in terms of cost to gain efficiency.

neuvie

HSC
It'll probably be very close to around 69-74 ish I think.

To be safe, try focusing on math, eng and chem as they are the highest scaling subjects so they'll pull ur marks up the highest in terms of cost to gain efficiency.
thank you very much for your advice. im definitely putting my all into english rn since its in 2 weeks and i dont have enough for the exam at all. atp im so disorganised and im really struggling to come up with a study plan. maths and eng are only 5 days apart and i almost never practiced for maths so im going to try and get the key topics down and do as much practice as i can.

just like some extra things down here
phys is the highest scaling but im just so stupid at it that im not really expecting much out of it, i guess its good that a bad mark wont drag me down (PRAYING for 60...) as much as food tech since food tech is really low in scaling so i have to get really good in that (im hoping for 80+).

to be fair my trial marks did reflect the knowledge/understanding that i have for each subject (from lowest to highest, phys eng maths chem food tech) 😭😭
here are my typical strengths/weaknesses in each subject if you find it will be relevant to you
strengths
eng adv: analysing shorter texts but im really really slow at it (no timed conditions)
maths adv: naturally better at maths than english i guess.
chem: quite a bit of mod 7
phys: simple calculations...
food tech: nutrition and some short answers involving nutrition

weaknesses
eng adv: writing cohesively, answering question, having adequate quotes (working on it). i have to go back and reread my texts + rewatch films (bright star).
maths adv: practice and applications...thats practically all there is but ive been a leech this year and havent done much (typically financial and statistical maths)
chem: forgot many things in previous modules, need to do more practice on calculations and module 8 is confusing. 8 marker questions.
phys: practicing with calculations and knowing the theory inside out (i can only identify things we have learnt). also identifying variables given in visual diagrams as they can sometimes vary a lot (ie, an electric field). module 6 electromagnetism is my weakest.
food tech: i didnt do much further research into things, and the business aspect of food tech

zzz5428

HSC
I could give some pointers on where to head for each subject

English Adv: Probably the toughest one to catch up as you build on throughout an entire year so cramming it is unlikely. I recommend looking at exemplar essays and incorporating features which make them good into your own essays (if you have established generic essasys already). Also practice short answers as they are easy marks to pick up.

Math Adv: Practice papers

Chem: Probably rewrite all of your notes from M5 - M8 within 2 days then do practice papers after that. Preferably handwrite them rather than type as you remember it best. It would probably take up the entire day, but it does refresh your memory + consolidate content you may not have understood in the past. As for your issue with 8 markers, depending on the time left, you could just blurge out everything you know on the topic and you'd probably get most of the marks.

Phys: Same with chem but place more focus on M6. As for calculations, I'm not particularly sure in what sense you have a weakness with that so more info could help. With the issue of identifying variables that comes with practice.

Food Tech: I can't really help you with that as I don't have knowledge on the subject itself.

TLDR: Rewrite all of your notes to refresh them -> then apply them straight away on practice papers.

Obviously the work ethic would have to be very high and if you don't want to do practice papers everyday, focus on the subject closest (in this case eng) and so on.

neuvie

HSC

English Adv: Probably the toughest one to catch up as you build on throughout an entire year so cramming it is unlikely. I recommend looking at exemplar essays and incorporating features which make them good into your own essays (if you have established generic essasys already). Also practice short answers as they are easy marks to pick up.

Chem: Probably rewrite all of your notes from M5 - M8 within 2 days then do practice papers after that. Preferably handwrite them rather than type as you remember it best. It would probably take up the entire day, but it does refresh your memory + consolidate content you may not have understood in the past. As for your issue with 8 markers, depending on the time left, you could just blurge out everything you know on the topic and you'd probably get most of the marks.

Phys: Same with chem but place more focus on M6. As for calculations, I'm not particularly sure in what sense you have a weakness with that so more info could help. With the issue of identifying variables that comes with practice.

Food Tech: I can't really help you with that as I don't have knowledge on the subject itself.

TLDR: Rewrite all of your notes to refresh them -> then apply them straight away on practice papers.

Obviously the work ethic would have to be very high and if you don't want to do practice papers everyday, focus on the subject closest (in this case eng) and so on.
thank you very much for your advice, although i do have some questions on that.
eng: is it a good idea to just use the quotes from exemplar essays? i have made quote sheets for each module (common, a, b but not c as i paid no attention whatsoever to module c) but i feel that i dont have enough quotes for any module in terms of quotes that i can use for each idea. i can somewhat attempt to write a decent generic essay for common mod and mod a. my mod a texts are keats and bright star so poetry and a film are not as challenging as my mod b text, emma. emma is quite a long novel, i am only 130 pages in and i dont have any quotes from the later parts of the text. however i was lent a film copy by my teacher so that i could watch it and get a better idea/be more comfortable with the text. i cant really find exemplar essays for emma (only the matrix version), most of the ones online (acehsc) is ts elliot. for short answer i guess it is time management as well as answering the question which is a pretty generic problem, and being able to analyse the texts to an extent in a short amount of time.
maths: no questions as practice is basically the only way to get good.
chem: that is very understandable. thank you very much.
phys: in terms of struggling with calculations, i forgot most of the formulas and a lot of them arent present on the formula sheet, otherwise the question requires a lot of formula derivation. also some formulas arent always applicable to the question even though it may be a common variable (ie, force) so i typically try to dump the formulas i know, that includes the desired variable (an awful strategy, that comes from not practicing). therefore im extremely slow at it and exam stress just makes it so much worse. additionally graphs are such a pain to look at and answer.

zzz5428

HSC
Eng: Use the quotes only if they fit the ideas you are trying to explore. If they do match, I dont see why not as they likely have connected the ideas very well to earn the 20/20 etc. You don’t need a wide variety of quotes but rather learn your quotes very well so that you can change your analysis perspective well enough to meet the Q. Knowing ur rubric is also key, u can check matrix’s summary of each mod so u grt the gidt of it. I dont do any of your texts so try looking at studocu for exemplars although some of them require premium.

phys: Probably knowing what each variable means in the formulas would greatly help. E.g. F = qE, E variable means the electric field stremgth, so the formula is probably related to the the force on a charge (q) within an electric field. Formula derivation I presume includes things like total mechanical energy of an orbit, orbital velocity etc, not much you can do other than memorise them unfortunately. You could try associating them to previous concepts like escape velocity requires KE + GPE to be 0 then you could derive it from there, I.e just knowing the first step is helpful which u then can derive the rest from intuition. More complicated scenarios like time dilation and length contraction apply similarly.

For graphs, always refer to a formula to help guide you as they are likely based on them and these types of questions often will ask you to find the value of some constamt - although this requires a solid understanding of the formulas as well.

JosephSeed

HSC
so i got a conditional early entry offer for a uni that i really want to go to, probably the only good one out of the 3 offers i have right now
however the minimum requirement is 69 and my assessment marks have been awful
here are my subjects and approximate assessment marks out of 100 as well as ranks
maths advanced ~50-55 ranked 26/40
english advanced ~50 ranked 60/61
chemistry ~60 ranked 10/34
food technology ~70 ranked 5/26
physics ~40 ranked 20/26
btw my school is ranked around the 220s
graduating tmr and i actually have so much to revise as well as learn so im not confident that i can do decent at all
is a 69 still possible? :punch:
bro im stuck in the same boat as you. i messed up trials so my rank is stuff. i reckon the top 15 kids are smart. so if i can get 90s in my hsc mark ill get pulled up hopefully. Mind telling me what unis have offered you

neuvie

HSC
bro im stuck in the same boat as you. i messed up trials so my rank is stuff. i reckon the top 15 kids are smart. so if i can get 90s in my hsc mark ill get pulled up hopefully. Mind telling me what unis have offered you
i messed up ALL the assessments that's why im so so concerned about my atar 😭
and my knowledge/skills on the subject are barely there bc of not practising
for uni offers, i got uts conditional offer and need 69, wsu conditional offer and need 65, acu offer but im not sure if it's conditional although the atar req is 58 so this is all on the low/avg end.
i really really hope to get into uts but wsu isn't the worst place to be ig. it's on the low end of the good unis.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC

I wouldn’t recommend rewriting the whole of all the modules. It’s inefficient and lower order study. Note hsc exams are pushing back on definitions and rote learnt responses and now focusing on skills and calculation. In my opinion for chem, do past papers and identify your gaps as you go. Then revise those. Then attempt qn again. Then rinse and repeat.

neuvie

HSC
I wouldn’t recommend rewriting the whole of all the modules. It’s inefficient and lower order study. Note hsc exams are pushing back on definitions and rote learnt responses and now focusing on skills and calculation. In my opinion for chem, do past papers and identify your gaps as you go. Then revise those. Then attempt qn again. Then rinse and repeat.
ahhhh okay ill be sure to see thank you very much for the advice 😭😭
at the very least ill skim through the theory since i forgot a lot of the experiments and all but i understood most of it when i learnt for the first time

zzz5428

HSC
That's why I mentioned doing it all within a day or two, the notes obviously don't have to be particularly comprehensive, but going straight into practice paper without an understanding of the content is quite frankly useless if you are unable to answer half the questions. You can argue that you look at answers to fill in gaps as you go along but it would not accurately simulate a test environment.

neuvie

HSC
That's why I mentioned doing it all within a day or two, the notes obviously don't have to be particularly comprehensive, but going straight into practice paper without an understanding of the content is quite frankly useless if you are unable to answer half the questions. You can argue that you look at answers to fill in gaps as you go along but it would not accurately simulate a test environment.
ah i see. thank you very much everyone for all of your advice and answers, ill be sure to work on that (finally graduated!). :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)