Is a double degree BA/BSc worth it for these careers? (1 Viewer)

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
* Geologist, climatologist, park ranger, science journalist.

I imagine it would be great for the last one, but what about the others? Originally I wanted to do a single BSc (Geology), but I have a huge range of interests in science and the arts, especially English. So I'd love to do a BA at the same time, but I don't know whether it will actually benefit me practically/career-wise in addition to the personal benefit of doing a double degree that allows me to pursue my interests.

Geology is my main focus and passion, and that's most likely where I'll seek a career. Would a BA/BSc help me or look attractive to employers? I thought that the writing skills of an English major might make me stand out in comparison to someone with a single BSc Geology who might not be great at writing reports, grants and such. If I decide to work as a ranger, would a BSc Geology / BA (Indigenous Studies, Environmental, or Geography, etc.) be a significant advantage to justify the extra year? Would it be better to jump solely into Geology and immerse myself in that?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think covering the social aspects of any application of geology in the real world is a natural compliment to the major.

Definitely improves your chances of finding a job within that field considering you will have sound understanding of how to evaluate projects on multiple fronts.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm doing a BA because I like what I study, not because I'm going to use it as my primary source for employment opportunities after I graduate.

As long as your Geology stuff is good, the extra degree won't really impede you other than doing another year. But if you like what you study, then don't worry.

Roscosmos

HSC
Imo you should just do geology and get as high marks as possible, then go do honours, and you can work in mining or oil + gas in a good position, and make lots of money too :p I dont see the BA helping with getting a job, getting a good job in geology is very easy at the moment, with only a BSci and honours.

Hi5

HSC
Tmr is my first day at Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts at UWS. I dont know if it is worh studying but both are very flexible, i want to work for the UN in the future

RealCamz

HSC
I would just get your BSc. It carries more weight, plus I think it gives you more options than just a BA. Given the demand for natural resources in the world, Geology is a great field to get into, and your BSc. will help with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)