Is a tutor necessary to achieve a 99+ ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Do you have a tutor?

• Yes

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Planning to get one.

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Just another opinion of mine but studying something by your own (something challenging) might take a student 1.5-2 hours to grasp, with a tutor they may be able to pick it up in around 10-15 minutes. That time difference is a huge advantage for the students that get 1 on 1 tutoring.

I'll admit in high school my study technique was not that good, and my teachers at my school (especially in Year 11 were not that good). Having someone that can be patient, understanding and direct is important. Year 11-12 you don't want to be wasting time. Every minute counts.

Whilst some students may be jealous of other students receiving tutoring, or maybe even jealous of tutors receiving good pay (don't worry I've seen it all before), I think its the results and outcomes you want.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I don't know much about the high schools in New South Wales but from what I have heard from the exclusive high fee paying schools in my state, they had after hours tuition and 1st year, 2nd year uni students (who were graduates from their high school - who achieved high ATARS) would come back to assist students after their schools lesson. If you count that as 'tutoring' , then I say it is an advantage.

And not all students were keen on that extra tutoring either, it was considered an optional thing.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Doesn't hurt to get someone experienced or knowledgeable to get you through a course? Getting a tutor is a win-win situation. (Might impact some people slightly in the pocket) But as one parent once told me its an investment.
Well tutoring is an advantage where you learn ahead of others but doesn't always for some as students have different styles of learning

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well, some people aren't academically inclined so they use tutoring to help them. Others may only need an atar under 90 to get into their subjects. Maybe they have issues in their lives that prevent them from getting 90+ atar. There can be so many factors that affect why they got below 90, and yes some are just lazy. I don't think it's right to judge someone, just because they went tutoring, they didn't get 90+ atar. It's almost like you have this bias against tutoring lol

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Yes I would agree. People use tutoring for an advantage. Well if they have issues preventing them from getting over 90+atar (such as mental health and such and cannot try to overcome the issue in any way), they could apply for bonus points. It's expected to get 90+ atar since you are getting an advantage. Just my thought process although I have nothing against it (I sound like I have something against it which I know)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Just another opinion of mine but studying something by your own (something challenging) might take a student 1.5-2 hours to grasp, with a tutor they may be able to pick it up in around 10-15 minutes. That time difference is a huge advantage for the students that get 1 on 1 tutoring.

I'll admit in high school my study technique was not that good, and my teachers at my school (especially in Year 11 were not that good). Having someone that can be patient, understanding and direct is important. Year 11-12 you don't want to be wasting time. Every minute counts.

Whilst some students may be jealous of other students receiving tutoring, or maybe even jealous of tutors receiving good pay (don't worry I've seen it all before), I think its the results and outcomes you want.
Comes all from hard work+smart work. I think a way to understand things is to do outside the syllabus research

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I don't know much about the high schools in New South Wales but from what I have heard from the exclusive high fee paying schools in my state, they had after hours tuition and 1st year, 2nd year uni students (who were graduates from their high school - who achieved high ATARS) would come back to assist students after their schools lesson. If you count that as 'tutoring' , then I say it is an advantage.

And not all students were keen on that extra tutoring either, it was considered an optional thing.
Well, tutoring is more like a headstart learning thing where you learn things ahead of everyone. Uni students coming in to assist students isn't really tutoring in that sense

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Well, tutoring is more like a headstart learning thing where you learn things ahead of everyone. Uni students coming in to assist students isn't really tutoring in that sense
not neccessarily, tutoring can also be going over material you've struggled to understand in class

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
coz private tutoring targets your weaknesses rather than your strengths
No nailgun was trying to point out that you classified tutoring as "getting ahead" but then contradicted yourself by stating that "private tutoring targets your weaknesses" which is still considered as tutoring.
Moral of the story: getting tuition is not only for getting ahead but also to help kids struggling with their current topics.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
No nailgun was trying to point out that you classified tutoring as "getting ahead" but then contradicted yourself by stating that "private tutoring targets your weaknesses" which is still considered as tutoring.
Moral of the story: getting tuition is not only for getting ahead but also to help kids struggling with their current topics.
k fair enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)