Is accounting really as boring as people make it out to be :(? (1 Viewer)

esaitchkay

HSC
Accounting is quite broad, as everyone has said - can range from A&A to fund accounting to back/mid-office at a bank.

I've done 2/6months in product control and it's pretty fun!
The uni theory is a bit dry, but it always depends on lecturers/tutors/team etc.

I'd say if you're doing a business degree, then going to the 1 day workshops held by the big 4 wouldn't hurt, just to see what it's like.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I guess the thing to remember is(on top of some good info that's already been said), if you end up in accounting you'll always end up looking at numbers everyday either on financial statements or accounts and manipulating them one way or another whether that is actually preparing them or re-calculating them, or dissecting information from them, of course this is only one part of the job - but I've seen (rarely) people move out because of it -
Just to note it's not actually as boring as it may sound - but if you really don't like the idea of it then Commerce in general might not be for you since every area deals with numbers one way or another - it's just that we deal with them a bit more then other areas (apart from Finance maybe).

As always some jobs are more interesting to some then others and accounting is no exception - as said before though don't look at the theory as what actually happens on the job. However most people I've found who end up in accounting (and stay) will have at least enjoyed some parts of it at Uni.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
It's not for everyone. I don't like accounting merely because it seems very procedural - which tends to be dull. While 90% of the people I know share the same view, my best mate loves it + smashed his internship and because of that was given a free trip to US/Disneyland. So if you are into it, do it. If not, choose something else.

Also note that when you actually work for a firm, your 'enjoyment' from work is not just from the work you do. Mainly it will be because of the people. Doing audit is definitely not 'boring' simply because you are in teams most of the times.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends on what you end up enjoying - and what you think you enjoy now may be very different once you start working and depending on where you're at in your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)