Is an atar all i need? (1 Viewer)

bb//1

HSC
N/A
If i manage to get an atar above 90 while doing pretty low scaling subjects will i still be able to get into UNSW or USYD?

Is an Atar all that matters or generally the subjects i decided to take in high school aswell?

i'm taking both standard maths and english and i'm scared i won't get opportunities in those two unis

bb//1

HSC
N/A
not really low scaling but something of lower value eg standard maths and english

also i'm looking to go into the economics/accounting side of things so i'm scared that i won't be able to do a course involving those two because of me doing standard maths

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If the degree you wish to study doesn't have any requirements besides a specific ATAR, and if you get an ATAR equal or superior to the ATAR required by the degree, you will definitely be able to get into UNSW or USyd.

If there are no specific requirements in terms of completing a particular subject, as with UNSW's lack of prerequisites and emphasis on assumed knowledge, then the subjects you take in high school won't matter in terms of getting accepted. The benefit of doing a subject that is related to the degree (and considered assumed knowledge like Mathematics Advanced for UNSW's Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Commerce) is that it will allow you to be familiar with content taught particularly during your first year. Examples include studying Economics and Mathematics Advanced, which will familiarise you with economic and mathematical concepts that are covered in your first year at UNSW.

USyd seems more strict in that regard, as completing Mathematics Standard does not meet the minimum requirements for either its Bachelor of Economics or Bachelor of Commerce. USyd specifically requires an equivalent of band 4 in Mathematics Advanced or band E3 in Mathematics Extension 1 or 2.

Based on this information, it looks like UNSW might be your top priority because the fact that Mathematics Advanced is considered assumed knowledge for both degrees doesn't stop you from being accepted provided you meet the degree's ATAR requirement (unlike USyd, which requires you to meet its prerequisite in addition to the required ATAR), unless you decide to take Mathematics Advanced instead of Mathematics Standard, giving you the ability to choose between UNSW and USyd.

I hope this helps! 😄

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
If you meet the ATAR requirement, you will be admitted, barring some comparatively rare additional requirements. I mean, if you get the required ATAR for a Bachelor of Music but have no musical skills, it would be understandable for a performance requirement on an instrument to be a barrier.

However, if your subjects and prior knowledge don't match the degree, you may struggle with the coursework. Assumed knowledge requirements need to be taken seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)