is an atar of 90+ possible with the subjects i am studying (1 Viewer)

MeTs19

HSC
I have just started year 12 and I am aiming for a 90+ atar however I am doing art and music which I have heard scale down quite a lot and I was looking for advice whether I should keep music and drop chemistry( as I currently have 12 units) as I hate chemistry, but I am prepared to do it and drop music if the scaling of music is too large
The subjects I am studying are:

English adv
English ext 1
English ext 2
Mathematics 2u
Chemistry
Art
Music

I'm also thinking about dropping to general maths because although I can do the 2u work, it requires a lot if effort and a lot of my time just to understand the concepts and I would like to know if the atar of 90+ would still be possible with general maths ( I have looked at the work and I'm confident I can get a hsc mark of 90+ even 95+)
Thank you for your time and I would appreciate all advice I can get its really making me stress as I don't know what to do
Thanks again
Jacob

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I have just started year 12 and I am aiming for a 90+ atar however I am doing art and music which I have heard scale down quite a lot and I was looking for advice whether I should keep music and drop chemistry( as I currently have 12 units) as I hate chemistry, but I am prepared to do it and drop music if the scaling of music is too large

English adv
English ext 1
English ext 2
Mathematics 2u
Chemistry
Art
Music

I'm also thinking about dropping to general maths because although I can do the 2u work, it requires a lot if effort and a lot of my time just to understand the concepts and I would like to know if the atar of 90+ would still be possible with general maths ( I have looked at the work and I'm confident I can get a hsc mark of 90+ even 95+)
Thank you for your time and I would appreciate all advice I can get its really making me stress as I don't know what to do
Thanks again
Jacob
Yes

/thread.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Don't stress because it can interfere with the way you study and sleep. Remember you can always seek guidance from a counselor or even your teachers if you have any concerns pertaining your studies.

cbaldilocks

HSC

English adv
English ext 1
English ext 2
Mathematics 2u
Chemistry
Art
Music

Thanks again
Jacob
I do almost the same subjects as you. Dropped music due to stress about major work, but honestly it was easy as piss. You can easily get a good atar with those subjects. And just so you know advanced maths is real repetititve in year 12, I wouldn't drop it, it gets better.

MeTs19

HSC
Thanks, I think I will stick with 2u mathematics for now and see how I go, how is year 12 chemistry? I have asked a few people doing it currently at my work and they have said it is extremely difficult, I didn't go very good in my yr 11 exams ( I didn't really study at all and in class I didn't put much effort in, mainly from lack of interest) but I still did better than the majority of my class so I'm not sure if I should just stick it out and do chemistry or do music(which I enjoy) but risk nerves and everything when it comes to performance and the aural test ( I came first in music 1 in yr 11)
Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it :)

Last edited:

cbaldilocks

HSC
Thanks, I think I will stick with 2u mathematics for now and see how I go, how is year 12 chemistry, I have asked a few people doing it currently at my work and they have said it is extremely difficult, I didn't go very good in my yr 11 exams ( I didn't really study at all and in class I didn't put much effort in, mainly from lack of interest) but I still did better than the majority of my class so I'm not sure if I should just stick it out and do chemistry or do music(which I enjoy) but risk nerves and everything when it comes to performance and the aurel test ( I can first in music 1 in yr 11)
Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it :)
Chem gets a lot harder. You really need to know your base year 11 stuff to succeed in it. I was pulling 90+ in chem in year 11 and now I'm only pulling 70-80. It gets very intense, but its manageable as long as you work at it. Music is a good subject to keep with, I honestly only dropped it because I had 15 units and needed to drop something to keep my sanity.

MeTs19

HSC
In my assignments I was getting 98% however in the half yearly I got a 76% :\ whicch was dissapointing and then in the yearly I got a 64% which was even worse but I talked to my teacher and he said the external test was the hardest he has ever seen for a prelim test. I got a 34 out of 40 for my final performance in music but the aural I got a 17 out of 30 so I'm worried about the sketchy style which are music exams. Based on those results do you think I should keep music and drop chemistry? I could keep both and see how it turns out.

Last edited:

cbaldilocks

HSC
In my assignments I was getting 98% however in the half yearly I got a 76% :\ whicch was dissapointing and then in the yearly I got a 64% which was even worse but I talked to my teacher and he said the external test was the hardest he has ever seen for a prelim test. I got a 34 out of 40 for my final performance in music but the aural I got a 17 out of 30 so I'm worried about the sketchy style which are music exams. Based on those results do you think I should keep music and drop chemistry? I could keep both and see how it turns out.
I advise against dropping anything until you are absoloutly certain one of them needs to go

MeTs19

HSC
Rightio thank you for your help, I feel as though chemistry isn't for me , I'm not sure if I'll drop it yet I think I'll give it ago however I'm not planning on applying for a science type degree I'm more into the film/design field so I think music will be somewhat beneficial with sound design for film and whatnot. I think with my interest music is more appealing, yet I think its a pride thing as I feel bad about dropping the harder more academic subjects like chemistry or going down to general (iv already dropped physics)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)