is ANU any good? (1 Viewer)

PaulYe

HSC
I am thinking about going to ANU but i am not sure if its worth it. If anyone has any idea on ANU it would be much appreciated!​

Areas of interest include:
-law
-economics
-software engineering
-commerce

THANK YOU!!!!:)

t1ims4

HSC
im currently looking at the Bachelor of Software Engineering/Bachelor of Commerce course and was wandering the same thing is ANU any good in these areas? could someone please shed some light :confused: :confused:

PaulYe

HSC
:mad1: sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet.....-_-'' if you can offer some real advice it'll be much appreciated.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
The ANU is consistently rated as one of the top universities in Australia, it's a top-tier university. A lot of potential students seem to have a problem with its location in Canberra though. For me personally I have absolutely no interest to live in Canberra.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
alright! you little sissy.

anu is good for law and economics. economics here is elite. the teaching staff are extremely qualified from stanford & LSE - they teach in first year too so the quality of teaching is very very good.

but seriously why come here? it's freaking dead. after your degree you'll end up being in the public service - and yes most likely die in canberra. it's like a fucking trap once your in you'll never leave

PaulYe

HSC
So in terms of employment for private firms, ANU is not the place to go?? lol

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
you'll have limited exposure to private industry here. public service is the main industry. in terms of networking you can meet sleazy public servants aplenty - they love groping newbies

Last edited:

PaulYe

HSC
all i want to do in the first few years after uni is work at macquarie bank, so i don't need THAT much exposure to the private sector right? just need to study my arse off and get in, right? right? lol

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
PaulYe said:
all i want to do in the first few years after uni is work at macquarie bank, so i don't need THAT much exposure to the private sector right? just need to study my arse off and get in, right? right? lol
Life seldom leads you down a singular linear path. Would you prefer to have options rather than limit them?

In saying that though, study well and graduate with a good academic record from ANU and you should open doors for yourself anywhere you want to go. The advice given to you from others about studying in Canberra is true up to a certain extent, but use it as a guide only. It's not the 'be all' and 'end all'.

PaulYe

HSC
limiting my options is what i'm afraid of.... that's why i'm worried that if i go ANU i might be limiting my employment prospects in the private sector.... :mad1:

Krieg

HSC
Where do you live? It's likely that it's not worth coming to ANU if you're already living in like Sydney or Melbourne.

ANU doesn't limit you at all, it's more that by the end of your degree you might think that you might as well just join the public service since thats what the main industry you are going to be exposed to in Canberra is.

Going to University in Sydney isn't going to give you a huge edge when applying to a job except that you might have shred some paper for macquarie for a week while you were there. At the end of the day it's going to be how you go in the interview and how your grades are.

The decision should more be whether you think it will be more interesting to go to ANU or some other university, and like others have said all people here can really say about that is what they think about lecturers/courses at ANU. From my perspective, it has good quality lecturers for Law and Economics. Personally I haven't done any software engineering, but in terms of commerce lecturers I'd hope there are better at other Uni's.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
PaulYe said:
limiting my options is what i'm afraid of.... that's why i'm worried that if i go ANU i might be limiting my employment prospects in the private sector.... :mad1:
I was referring to you saying all you want to do is work at Macquarie Bank.

Venusian

HSC
it doesnt limit you - i know kids who have graduted from anu last year who work for mac bank (in sydney), ey, pwc, deloittes - its only canberra not the end of the world - all the big four are here and they come here to recurit for both canberra and sydney (probably melb too)

fyi - believe it or not, some people do actually want to work in the public sector

PaulYe

HSC
thanks guys!!! any more suggestions/opinions keep them coming!!! man i love this site =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)