Is anyone doing Anything other than Frankenstein in prelim ext eng? (1 Viewer)

jessyboo

taree high,,,, yeh we are a bit english nutz but most ppl who do it do it cos they are doin 3unit maths and it fits in with the timetable and whatever but each class has only 15-18 peeps in it so its pretty good.... :D

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
my school has like 4 or 5 ext classes every year... but it is a selective school so i guess that's expected

they're not supposed to teach hsc texts in yr 11, but i think as long as the school doesn't teach it in yr 12 anyway it's not a big deal... ie last yr i wasn't allowed to use blade runner as a supp text b/c at least one class every year at my school does the br/bnw module... but someone else was allowed to use... what was it? the explorers or something because my school has never used it and had no intentions of teaching it this year

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
jessyboo said:
at my skool there are 3 ext classes and every single one is studying HEART OF DARKNESS.... a painfully boring pre-1900 cokarse book with 3 chapters! :mad:
that was exactly like my school.....it was soo boring .. and the fact that it was boring made it long... it onli got better towards the end.. and the teacher kept on telling us the slowness is deliberate.... though it just made me more sleepy at 7.30 in the morning....

kpq_sniper017

glycerine said:
my school has like 4 or 5 ext classes every year... but it is a selective school so i guess that's expected

they're not supposed to teach hsc texts in yr 11, but i think as long as the school doesn't teach it in yr 12 anyway it's not a big deal... ie last yr i wasn't allowed to use blade runner as a supp text b/c at least one class every year at my school does the br/bnw module... but someone else was allowed to use... what was it? the explorers or something because my school has never used it and had no intentions of teaching it this year
u accelerated english right?
how was that (for curiosity), coz i don't thinki could stand it....lol
btw. did u accelerate ext 1 as well, or just adv?

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
in ext we are doing 'representations of gender' and we have studied 'far from the madding crowd' by thomas hardy, 'the big country' and we are now reading 'the beauty myth' by naomi wolf :)

kaylz

HSC
extension english

we started off the year with satire which included who's afraid of virginia woolf, the rape of the lock, the loved one and gullivers travels.. and the next unit is crime fiction

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
We are studying the constant role of the heroine throughout time. We started with the works of Chaucer and lately we have progressed to the more modern Jane Austen and further through to modern movie star type heroines... It's ok, but it's a bit of a feminist topic I guess... not too much for the 2 males in the class to do when we have to compose a piece of work in the perpective of a woman :confused:

heather bray

heather bray
HSC
we are doing pygmalion its ok we had to watch my fair lady and educating rita but now we get to choose our own comparison to the orginal myth so we've finshed the boring stuff and doing what we want

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
virgin^sexy said:
in ext we are doing 'representations of gender' and we have studied 'far from the madding crowd' by thomas hardy, 'the big country' and we are now reading 'the beauty myth' by naomi wolf :)
You poor, poor soul. We did Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Hardy's greatest crime. It nearly killed us. (btw, we have 6 english extension classes of about 20-something students each class)

Last term we did Thelma and Louise, which we had to relate to Tess. Grr. Right now we're doing philosophical extracts or something. I have to summarise then relate to a text some of Freud's theories. Yay.

Luthien

Somewhere in the wilderness of my crazy mind
HSC
WHOA! somany ext classes!!
We have one and it has 14 people.
Um causewe are doing texts, culture and values, our core text was "Utopia" - Sir Thomas More, i had already read it and loved it - the only person who liked it in my class! For our next unit we related the movie "Pleasantville" to the Utopian genre, now we are doping Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451"
I enjoy extmuch more than adv.

lilkatie

Hmm we sure aren't doing any of those, i don't know what topic we're doing change maybe? We did Apocalypse now VS Heart of Darkness, Romeo and Juliet, How are you affected by change, and various poems and looking for alibrandi

coroneos

hey i have notes on frankenstein/gothic stuff from year 11 .. who wants it?? i will sell it for $10 lol haha i have at least 30+ pages of notes + my yearly exams which i got 19/20 and 20/20 for + supplementary material notes + essays...

steban

violin dude
HSC
for my english ext class, we focus on language, values and a tad on genre.

We are currently doing a critical study on Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'. So that has heaps of themes/issues/values etc to look at, and its of a gothic sorta nature (crazy women in the attic)

After this we are going to compare Jane Eyre with 'Wide Sargasso Sea' (i forgot who it was, i think the name was Jean Rhys), and this book is Bertha's story and perspective on everything (bertha being the crazy women in the attic)

after that i think we study the Pretty Women.

i think thats a years work = =.

no frankenstein for us though it does look and sound interesting :>

slowjam10

HSC
We have one class with about 16 people and we have three advanced classes and three standard.

For first term in ext we did the Module - the Art of Dissent and read the poetry of W.H. Auden and watched the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

This term we are starting the American Dream and reading the Great Gatsby and watching the film The Talenetd Mr. Ripley.

For third term we are goign to do the Femakle Voice whatever that is - Geramine Greer gaaaaaaaaaaa :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheap Thrills

HSC
we're doing the 'tragic hero'. we have already done "Oedipud the King" by Sophocles, Miller's "The Crucible" and "Star Wars" and this term we start "Othello" and then we do Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles". Ext is way better than adv.:uhhuh:

Pankcake Guddu

HSC
were doing a few....we did dangerous liasions, vanity fair and catch 22 and a couple of others...and they dont cheat the rules...our school does imilar things but we dont do them in class we read them on the side for our own intrests

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)