is anyone doing anything visual arty-related next year? (1 Viewer)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
this forum needs to be resurrected...

so...is anyone doing anything visual arty-related next year?

im thinking of going to cofa and doing art theory or design/art teaching, except im a bit scared of cofa and its arty-farty-ness...sort of... i tried to apply for NIDA's design rthingy but u have to be over 18, how sucky.

p.s., what are the general art theory case studies you guys have been doing so far? my class ( the whole EIGHT of us!) have basically done lots on modernism and contemporary art in general, basically the whole postmodern structure thingy. i hate those stupid frames and conceptual framework things, they're so rigid superficial and make art theory unnecessarily irritating and tedious.

roo

HSC
visual arty-related.. hehe

the closest thing id do to visual arts its probably either graphic design or web page/multimedia stuff (i do digital media). personally, i'd hate to be an art teacher!

we did modernism in yr 11, mainly architecture in america and one place in sydney. we're doing a bit of post-modernism now, some architecture in spain and melbourne and some australian/indigenous artworks which is really boring.. :eek: what works are u guys doing?

only 8 in ur class!? is that ur whole art grade?? wooow.. i agree with you about the frames and stuff.. got to conform to the silly frames and not then ur not sure what goes where.. uugh!

roo :p

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yup, cos i go to james ruse
we have worse though...
6 in drama
8 in 2u maths (im one of em)
80 in 3u maths
80 in 4u maths
(roughly)
we're not allowed to do standard english
theres no such thing as dt, textiles, food tech or any other non-science subject. we dont even have legal or business cos 'it down scale high enough'
oh and about 10 people dont do science (again im one of em)

haha! well im sure you feel really lucky now to be in a better school than im in! (even though i dont know what school u go to, there can NOT be a worse school than mine!)

anyway i think ive bitched enough about my school + principal in the school forum..
annway...
im trying to type up my art notes now, have trials tomorrow (jesus its sunday already!) and i'm doing artists like marcel duchamp, tracey moffatt, christian boltanski and lots of other random contemporary artists really briefly. we;ve been doing the whole 'what is contemporary art' thing so im pretty sure that the essay question is gonna be something along the lines of that. (in our trial)
i wish we did some architecture though, thats my second choice if i dont get into design next year.

i think my love of art is so strong only cos so many people are against it in my school, so like even if i totally hate whatever we're doing in art i subconsciously find something positive about it

so which school do u go to, is your school also anti-arts?

-jian

roo

HSC
i go to pymble ladies college, i used to know a few ruse people last year through the young achiever's business program and i took one to my formal last year.. heheh.. and my maths tutor is from ruse tooo.. mr alders? lol i dunnoo.. :)

i thought everyone at ruse does at least 3U maths? woow ur human! my friend was telling me that a 'select few' do 2U and i thought "as iiif!" :)
that's pretty slack about the subjects they don't offer, can u still do it outside of school? like in tafe? i don't do a science either ;)

we have about 57 people doing art in our grade, pretty high number compared to past few years. our school promote arts quite a bit, we recently had an exhibition to display our body of works.

we haven't done much on 'what is contemporary art'.. don't you get a choice in your essay question in ur trial? between 9? ours is going along the same format as the HSC so we have 3 to choose from under 3 topics - frames, conceptual or practice. i'd probably choose frames..

*sigh* enough of my babbling! better get some study done.. mine start tomorrow too *groan* good luck! :D

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i was wanting to do graphic design at either newcastle uni or UTS (apparently they're both pretty good as far as graphic design goes, but UTS is a bit scary cos it involves moving to sydney and there aren't any colleges at UTS and i don't want to move into a house just yet - bills, rent, shopping, washing, etc...). Institute for Design looks good too but i don't fancy moving to brisbane either...

hmmm. case studies so far, in order of doing them

- the female form thru history (prelim course)
- modernism (yes, the whole thing - just an overview thingy)
- australian art criticism
- postmodern artists (choose 3 - i chose Tatsuo Miyajima, Shigeko Kabuto, Yasumasa Morimura)
- a free choice one (i chose new british art since 1990 and the saatchi collection)
- new technology in western art

so i suppose we have some sort of modernism bent going here. which is good tho cos that's what i like.

damn. 80 in 4u, 8 in 2u. our school it'd be about the other way round (newcastle grammar). our school isn't too anti arts, but they don't love them too much cos the art dept doesnt churn out doctors and lawyers :).

trials in 2 weeks, therefore i need to get motivated. good luck all...

roo

HSC
you get to choose artists? i don't get it? so you teach yourself??

you've done so much! now that i think about it, we did the female form through history for our prelim course too.. the only artist i remember is titian lol. i'm not really interested in 2D artworks since learning about architecture, so much more fuun.. *sigh*

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by roo
you get to choose artists? i don't get it? so you teach yourself??
there was one free choice one, and the p/modern artists was sort of free choice too, but the other ones are all prescribed by the teacher

i'm not really interested in 2D artworks since learning about architecture, so much more fuun.. *sigh*
buildings look tricky. they're big. :)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by roo
i go to pymble ladies college, i used to know a few ruse people last year through the young achiever's business program and i took one to my formal last year.. heheh.. and my maths tutor is from ruse tooo.. mr alders? lol i dunnoo.. :)

i thought everyone at ruse does at least 3U maths? woow ur human! my friend was telling me that a 'select few' do 2U and i thought "as iiif!" :)
that's pretty slack about the subjects they don't offer, can u still do it outside of school? like in tafe? i don't do a science either ;)

we have about 57 people doing art in our grade, pretty high number compared to past few years. our school promote arts quite a bit, we recently had an exhibition to display our body of works.

we haven't done much on 'what is contemporary art'.. don't you get a choice in your essay question in ur trial? between 9? ours is going along the same format as the HSC so we have 3 to choose from under 3 topics - frames, conceptual or practice. i'd probably choose frames..

*sigh* enough of my babbling! better get some study done.. mine start tomorrow too *groan* good luck! :D
haha yeh mr alder - mr piggy! i had him in year 10, went from 40th to 110th in the grade cos he was so crap and i hated him.

so who do u know from ruse? the only chicks i know from pymble are kazz lee and julia chessman. they're in our schol now thats why. and i used to go to school with kat. ly, then apparently she got expelled for smoking dope or something. is that rumour true?? i still haven't found out..

nah, we can't do stuff outside of school. i wanted to do visual design at tafe, one of those courses u do for the hsc but it doesn't actulaly count for the hsc. spoke the careers advisor guy and he told me that our principal doesn't let us do these courses because they don't count towards our uai, and hence 'they would be a waste of time'. doesn't matter if it related to our future career or not! wot a tosser.

and yeh, we do get a choice outta 9 q's, but im just assuming there's gonna be at least 1 q. on contemp. art cos we've done so much of it.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by saladsugery

- postmodern artists (choose 3 - i chose Tatsuo Miyajima, Shigeko Kabuto, Yasumasa Morimura)
- a free choice one (i chose new british art since 1990 and the saatchi collection)
- new technology in western art

trials in 2 weeks, therefore i need to get motivated. good luck all...
hey woww u have an obsession with contemporary japanese artists too?! ever since i saw neo tokyo at the MCA, i have had this weird fascination with jap's. miwa yanagi's my favourite, prob. cos she does these really weird, macabre photo's and films and stuff.
yasumasa morimura, shes the one who did 'blinded by the light' hey? appropriated from bruegel or some other dutch painter.

u lucky thing, my trials are in about..12 hours. and here i am in these msgboarding with learning harwood poetry still to go...urgh...looks like a long night/dawn/morning ahead.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by roo

i'm not really interested in 2D artworks since learning about architecture, so much more fuun.. *sigh*
i agree, i am soooo sick of painting and drawing and trad. art and stuff its not funny. though i still like photography. but installations are so much more interesting and captivating than some dabs of paint on a canvas.

if money wasn't goign to be a problem for you, would u be an artist?
i don't think i would, after doing prac art these six years im getting sick of it, and this stupid major work for like 9 months i just want to destroy it now. you're so lucky you've finished yours (cos you've had an exhibition right?). i think that i even like art theory more atm.

roo

HSC
Originally posted by johnson

haha yeh mr alder - mr piggy! i had him in year 10, went from 40th to 110th in the grade cos he was so crap and i hated him.
lol i've heard him being refered to a pig before! haha.. now whenever i look at him, i can't keep a straight face. yah, he's a pretty crap teacher, but i need all the help i can get atm!

so who do u know from ruse? the only chicks i know from pymble are kazz lee and julia chessman. they're in our schol now thats why. and i used to go to school with kat. ly, then apparently she got expelled for smoking dope or something. is that rumour true?? i still haven't found out..
umm i know adrian, michael xia, jun, yun-yi, orion.. there were quite a few in the YA group i was in.. my twin know's carlene. i remember kazz lee, there were heaps of rumours surrounding her at school. i dunno julia or kat ly.. can't remember.

nah, we can't do stuff outside of school. i wanted to do visual design at tafe, one of those courses u do for the hsc but it doesn't actulaly count for the hsc. spoke the careers advisor guy and he told me that our principal doesn't let us do these courses because they don't count towards our uai, and hence 'they would be a waste of time'. doesn't matter if it related to our future career or not! wot a tosser.
woow.. total nazi school!

and yeh, we do get a choice outta 9 q's, but im just assuming there's gonna be at least 1 q. on contemp. art cos we've done so much of it.

roo

HSC
Originally posted by johnson

if money wasn't goign to be a problem for you, would u be an artist?
i don't think i would, after doing prac art these six years im getting sick of it, and this stupid major work for like 9 months i just want to destroy it now. you're so lucky you've finished yours (cos you've had an exhibition right?). i think that i even like art theory more atm.
artist? me!? HAHAHA.. what a crack up! firstly, my parents would disown me if I ever did and I don't have ANY artistic stuff in me.. and if i do, it takes me 2 years to get an idea!

yah i'm finished! yaaay.. but i can still add stuff to it if i want, teachers just wanted us to get it over and done with before the trials. feels so much better!

roo

HSC
Originally posted by saladsugery

buildings look tricky. they're big. :)
but that's the good thing about it! you can babble about architecture in an essay more than an artwork. well that's what i think anyway!

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
general big reply to all sub-threads running thru this thread

Originally posted by roo artist? me!? HAHAHA.. what a crack up! firstly, my parents would disown me if I ever did and I don't have ANY artistic stuff in me.. and if i do, it takes me 2 years to get an idea!
i don't think i could be purely an artist, i suppose i might be able to do a bit on the side as a hobby or something.
Originally posted by johnson i agree, i am soooo sick of painting and drawing and trad. art and stuff its not funny. though i still like photography. but installations are so much more interesting and captivating than some dabs of paint on a canvas.
yes. installations and such. new british art is interesting as well, i think damien hirst would have to be my favourite artist @ the moment.
Originally posted by johnson hey woww u have an obsession with contemporary japanese artists too?! ever since i saw neo tokyo at the MCA, i have had this weird fascination with jap's. miwa yanagi's my favourite, prob. cos she does these really weird, macabre photo's and films and stuff.
yasumasa morimura, shes the one who did 'blinded by the light' hey? appropriated from bruegel or some other dutch painter.
I dunno, i suppose so... to some extent. morimura's a guy, but i didnt think so for ages either, cos in heaps of his appropriations he's dressed (fairly convincingly) as a woman. strange creature.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
haha yeh, thats right, he IS a guy isn't he, i did read about that once but ive totally forgotten. i guess its cos i know more about jap. women artists than men ones i get confused.

i met shiro matsui at this MCA workshop a friend and i went to, it was really weird cos id never really *met* an artist before. he wasn't that great at speaking, prob cos he wasn't too good at english, but he is one fascinating dude.

we also met geoff harvey, we went to his house actually. hes the dude who was in sculpture by the sea and made those really weird dogs out of shoes and scraps of wood and other junk like that.

MasterBae

i've got my mind pretty set on digital media for next year (provided i can get 91.1 UAI)....

Whoa crap roo! i remember you....you drank a lot of V, right? lol sorry that's the first thing that comes to mind when i think of you....and you had the hots for adrian....lol...anyways, this is Graham from ruse...i was in playaz with u......so sad u didn't mention me in your Y.A. thing :(

anyways, have fun and don't waste too much of your study time browsing the forums...

i just got into it today...uh-oh

roo

HSC
Originally posted by MasterBae
i've got my mind pretty set on digital media for next year (provided i can get 91.1 UAI)....

Whoa crap roo! i remember you....you drank a lot of V, right? lol sorry that's the first thing that comes to mind when i think of you....and you had the hots for adrian....lol...anyways, this is Graham from ruse...i was in playaz with u......so sad u didn't mention me in your Y.A. thing :(

anyways, have fun and don't waste too much of your study time browsing the forums...

i just got into it today...uh-oh
AHH YOUU!! i remember u teasing me about adrian.. I DO NOT LIKE HIM! grr.. :p yes that's me, drinking the V everyday at YA lol.. needed a fricken wake up call at all those meetings!

and as if you won't get 91.1! what area of digital media are u interested in?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
heloo graham..thought it was you, i recognised the nick..masterbae..heh

these things are freakin addictive...

-jian
p.s. i met gishan (sp?) the other day, he says to say hi. he's in northolm still, brendan c. and peter rolih both left (apparently brendan went psycho (?) and was expelled or something, and peter went to queensland for some reason. oh an u remember arthur? from candutti's class?? apparently he o.d.'d or something...i still can't remember who he was though do u?
anyway have fun studying...my last exam was today...!

zoe

next yr

I want to do design at cofa but the UAI is like over the 90's so hopfully I can do a bridging course or something at tafe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)