Is anyone doing Bcom/Bsci double degree? (1 Viewer)

SS06

HSC
N/A
Is anyone doing Bcom/Bsci double degree at USyd? Cos I need help with my choice of majors. Please can someone help. It's urgent

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i do b sc/b comm in usyd

ask away, or send me an email/pm

stazi

Nightman
HSC
SS06 said:
Is anyone doing Bcom/Bsci double degree at USyd? Cos I need help with my choice of majors. Please can someone help. It's urgent
how is it urgent? you don't choose your majors yet, and you can vary your enrollment for ages.

stephenchow

HSC
SS06 said:
Just out of interest, did you surpass the required UAI cutoff for com/sci?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
hows it going xiao?
most wonderfully wonderful...

going to do chem honour this year... soemthing to do with pt drug...

SS06

HSC
N/A
I know I don't have to choose my majors now but I still have to fulfill the requirements for my major studies.
I want to do accounting and microbiology. It's a very odd choice but I have no other choice cos I wanted to do finan. mathematics and statistics instead of microbiology but that is not compatible with one of the courses that I need to do for accounting. So does anyone know who i can talk to???

stephenchow yes I did surpass the UAI requirement. Why do u ask??

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
You're at uni for 5 years, can potentially do 4 majors with careful management - I think its extremely unlikely that you are unable to do both an accounting and a financial maths and stats major. Also, looking at the course requirements right now, there doesnt seem to be a reason why you couldnt comfortably do both. What makes you think that the two arent compatible?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
they may not be compatible because of prohibitions in some subjects. It's like studying ECMT1010 and a MATHS statistics subject. It's not allowed, as the subject matter is very similar.

and you both have SS in your nicknames.

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
Its accounting and maths, the only thing they have in common is ecmt1010 and if you do the maths ones you are exempt from doing ecmt1010.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
SSaint said:
Its accounting and maths, the only thing they have in common is ecmt1010 and if you do the maths ones you are exempt from doing ecmt1010.
QFT

and as a matter of fact, doing 3 majors shouldn't be too troublesome, but 4 require early management of UOS... most likely you will need to overload

americanshoes

HSC
actually maybe the problem isn't with the accounting major itself, but CPA/CA accreditation. I remember when I was looking at it a few years ago, one of the two (can't remember which) required ECMT1010. The problem might be then that the maths major requires MATH1005. Since you can't do both, there might be a problem.

It would probably be easier to mess with the uni's requirements than the accreditors' requirements, so you could try talking to someone to see whether you might be able to count ECMT1010 in place of MATH1005 in the maths major..... if that is the problem.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
americanshoes said:
actually maybe the problem isn't with the accounting major itself, but CPA/CA accreditation. I remember when I was looking at it a few years ago, one of the two (can't remember which) required ECMT1010. The problem might be then that the maths major requires MATH1005. Since you can't do both, there might be a problem.

It would probably be easier to mess with the uni's requirements than the accreditors' requirements, so you could try talking to someone to see whether you might be able to count ECMT1010 in place of MATH1005 in the maths major..... if that is the problem.
in which case do not take 1005, take ecmt1010 instead...

SS06

HSC
N/A

americanshoes u r absolutely correct. That is exactly my problem. So wat do u guys suggest for me to do ECMT1010 or the MATHS1005? I still want the accreditation so i think its best for me to do ECMT1010.

by the way wat do u guys think of accounting/microbiology? Is it ok or is there another major i can choose from science that will complement my accounting degree more??? I know micro doesn't complement it very well!!

btw does anyone know when USYD's timetable comes out for semester1????? Have I already missed the date or is it yet to b released????

thnx everyone for u're help!!

americanshoes

HSC
Try emailing someone at the Science Faculty and tell them your problem... they might be able to bend some requirements, especially if you're already strong in Maths.

Science (will know more about the maths major)
http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/science/01_contactinformation.shtml
firstyear@maths.usyd.edu.au

Eco/Business (administer your combined degree)
Contacts: Contact: Student Information Office (Faculty of Economics and Business)
Ph: +61 2 9351 3076, fax: +61 2 9351 4433
Email: student@econ.usyd.edu.au

ask to talk to an advisor

as for other Science majors, Psychology may be generally relevant, especially if you want to work as a consultant, and may Computer Science or Information Systems may also go well with Accounting.

SS06

HSC
N/A
k thnx americanshoes. Btw can i still change my units of stuides cos i want to change from biology to PSYC1001? can someone please let me know how i can change? Also if i do change do i still hav to pay for biology or is there a way to avoid that probs?? Please let me know ASAP.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You can still do a maths major by doing math1004 in place of 1005.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)