• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is anyone from 1st yr planning on transferring? (2 Viewers)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Soma
umm i kind of wouldnt mind doing pr/advertising i.e. public communications but it is a pretty unethical existance.

umm there is such a thing as PR and advertising for NGOs.

And anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find a profession that didn't involve manipulation of the truth, e.g. despite this wonderful notion of freedom of the press, journalists are simply toeing the line of the owners and sponsors of the newspapers because of their vested interests.

Just my $100 worth.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Medicine? The only time you manipulate the truth is when you have to prevent a hysterical patient from causing injuries. :)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Medicine? The only time you manipulate the truth is when you have to prevent a hysterical patient from causing injuries. :)
No lexi, even medicine isn't above scandal.

GPs often recommend medicines by major companies who sponsor information evenings which push their products and offer incentives for GPs to do likewise. There often could be an alternative brand for a lesser price or just by another company which patients are unaware of. However, because of the indescribable amount of trust which patients place in medical 'authorities', they don't question the alternatives.

Keep in mind, the billion-dollar drug industry is a highly competitive one.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
No lexi, even medicine isn't above scandal.

GPs often recommend medicines by major companies who sponsor information evenings which push their products and offer incentives for GPs to do likewise. There often could be an alternative brand for a lesser price or just by another company which patients are unaware of. However, because of the indescribable amount of trust which patients place in medical 'authorities', they don't question the alternatives.

Keep in mind, the billion-dollar drug industry is a highly competitive one.
I was talking about a need to bend the truth, rather than an ability. Everyone knows about the debatable ethics of drug companies sponsoring "information evenings", or "medical conferences" and other similar things.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Yeh well that's not what you said is it.

And TP sure many occupations involve the manipulation of truth but none so blatantly as PR & Advertising. I'm not so against PR but I don't think I could hack being an advertiser. Spending my life trying to sell stuff to people would shit me, I used to hate it at my old job when my boss used to force me to push products because I know how annoying it can be as a consumer.

On a slightly related note does anyone else get pissed off when they see that McDonalds ad in response to 'Supersize Me'?
I think that campaign was stupid only alerted more people to what was only an independent movie shown mainly at arthouse cinemas. Plus the smugness of the guy ('We could have told you that') really pisses me off and everyone I've talked to about it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It was so stupid because they screened the ad nationally... the film was not screened nationally...I was surprised to see it on TV here when I came home because it was not screened here and most people don't have a clue what the film they are talking about is.

I also hate how the guy is so smug!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It was McDonald's pulling full force damage control...stupidly.
Originally posted by Soma
Yeh well that's not what you said is it.
Yes it is. It's not my problem if you misinterpret what I say to someone else.

Uncouth

HSC
N/A
:eek: I think I'll just recklessly stick my nose in where it shouldn't be and suggest a truce as we're obviously not getting anywhere with the arguing - besides going off-topic, that is.

I would like to transfer to another course within UTS as my current one isn't all that appealing and applicable to me anymore. But, naiveté and ignorance aside, I highly doubt that I would've been able to make the transfer even if I had handed the form in, which I haven't. That is the measure of my confidence in my marks. :cool:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I've gotten rid of some of the off topic posts. It's giving a bad reputation to a new member such as Uncouth who is trying to ask a question and you guys are arguing about some silly spelling mistakes. Take it to the Non-School forum :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)