Is anyone here familiar with footnote referencing style? (1 Viewer)

Question2

HSC
N/A
I'm confused as to how you do in text citations for this one?

Let's say i want to mention a book, e.g. "According to [book name]", do i include author, year or publisher in the text? Or do i just include a footnote for it? What if i have two sentences in the same paragraph referring to the same page, do i footnote reference both sentences, or just the second one? Do i need to include multiple footnotes for the same page (e.g. footnote 1, 2 and 3, all with the exact same page number reference)?

D94

HSC
N/A
Since you mention footnoting, you should be using the Oxford Referencing system throughout your report/essay/assignment.

http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/onlib/refbib.html

If you want to say "According to...", I would think it's best to refer to the author, not the book name. (but this may depend on context - e.g. if you are using an Encyclopedia or dictionary, then I would refer to the book name)

You must reference anything which you have used from another source, unless it is common knowledge. In your case, you would be footnoting those things sequentially (even if it is repeated), but instead, the common practice is to either note the author's name and page number, or, write "ibid" if they are one after the other, or "op cit" if it has been previously used; this will depend on frequency and personal preference.

http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/onlib/refbib1.html

Question2

HSC
N/A
The confusing part is that my business law course outline is listing very different citation rules.

E.G.It says to reference a book, you should use : 3 Latimer P Australian Business Law, 32nd ed, 2013, CCH Australia at 129

It's different from what's on that page and it doesn't explain how to list subsequent citations from the same source.

ali2536

HSC
Hey I'm also doing the same assignment as u. Do u think we have to include in-text referencing or do we just use footnotes?

ali2536

HSC
Since you mention footnoting, you should be using the Oxford Referencing system throughout your report/essay/assignment.

http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/onlib/refbib.html

If you want to say "According to...", I would think it's best to refer to the author, not the book name. (but this may depend on context - e.g. if you are using an Encyclopedia or dictionary, then I would refer to the book name)

You must reference anything which you have used from another source, unless it is common knowledge. In your case, you would be footnoting those things sequentially (even if it is repeated), but instead, the common practice is to either note the author's name and page number, or, write "ibid" if they are one after the other, or "op cit" if it has been previously used; this will depend on frequency and personal preference.

http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/onlib/refbib1.html
Can I also ask how would you reference a PDF? :)

so_what

HSC
The PDF can't be just a PDF. You had to have gotten it from a website or an article of some sort. So refer to one of those on the UNSW learning centre website which has been linked above.

If it says footnotes, do footnotes. Using in-text and footnotes is wrong. Stick to one method of referencing throughout.

so_what

HSC
For referencing the same source in sequence, you wouldn't have to keep putting the whole title and author again. Just use Ibid. if it is the same page and Ibid.,(insert page number) if it is a different page. This only works if they are one after the other though.

ali2536

HSC
Ok thanks! One more question, what happens if I want to quote words from a source but it has a footnote as well, if that makes sense. Would i have to reference that footnote as well. For instance the source had, 'common law recognised that native title existed^7' .

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
in that case, you would just reference the original source (i.e. whatever is in the footnote)

Question2

HSC
N/A
What does ibid mean?

Edit : Just got a response from my tutor. You can either use the full footnote citation, e.g.

1 Latimer P Australian Business Law, 32nd ed, 2013, CCH Australia at 129
2 Latimer P Australian Business Law, 32nd ed, 2013, CCH Australia at 130
3 Latimer P Australian Business Law, 32nd ed, 2013, CCH Australia at 131

or use Latimer, above n 130 for subsequent citations.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ibid refers to the very last citation you made.

There are SO many referencing styles out there and many disciplines have their own preferred style. I would be making sure you are referencing the way your tutor/lecturer expects you to as you can and will lose marks for incorrect referencing at uni.

ali2536

HSC
What does ibid mean?

Edit : Just got a response from my tutor. You can either use the full footnote citation, e.g.

1 Latimer P Australian Business Law, 32nd ed, 2013, CCH Australia at 129
2 Latimer P Australian Business Law, 32nd ed, 2013, CCH Australia at 130
3 Latimer P Australian Business Law, 32nd ed, 2013, CCH Australia at 131

or use Latimer, above n 130 for subsequent citations.
Who's your tutor? Is it that Paul guy??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)