• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is anyone not a crammer? (2 Viewers)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
This whole cramming thing is really wearing thin on me.

I'm sick of the intense and forced work and concentration needed to get everything learnt in time. It's going to start doing more harm than good because I cbb anymore.

Is there anyone here who is not a crammer? How do you do it? How do you get information to stay in your head up until the test? How do you get motivated and when do you start to study?

Not being a crammer is never going to work for me but I may as well try... :eek:

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
Andy's Guide to Not Sucking at University
(Stuff that everyone knows, but nobody does)

Revision
Revise what you learnt in the day, every night. Do it you lazy bastard. You know you're supposed to. Do it right now. You might learn something.
Re-write the notes you took in class neater and clarify anything you were unsure of. Highlight anything you think is important that you want yourself to notice when you come to revise. On the weekend, take half an hour to read everything you wrote during the week. This might take you fifteen minutes a night and half an hour on the weekend, but it will improve your marks drastically.

Tutorial Qs
Do all the tutorial questions before, during, or immediately after the tute. Try to check your answers with the tutor or answers on WebCT or BoB. Now file away all that stuff so you can do them again a few weeks before your exam. When you get stuck, look at your previous answers. Easy.

Assignments
Start assignments the day you get them. Serious. Work you do in week 4 is work you won't have to do in week 13. Energy is conserved. Leibniz is happy.
Try to figure out how long each assignment will take you (in hours), then double it and allow that much time.
Set yourself an absolute deadline to be finished two days before they're due. When you finish an assignment, leave it for a day and then read it back to yourself. I guarantee you will find something to change. Luckily you finished two days early, and now have a whole day to change it. If you trust your friends not to copy, get them to have a look through it.
Remember to save at least 15 copies of everything you do on the computer. One on the hard drive, one on a usb drive. Get a gmail account and email yourself everything you do.

Exam Time
Because you've done all your assignments early, you can start reading your notes in week 13 or 14. Read a week or two worth of notes per night, and try a couple of tute Qs. This will help identify anything you can't do. You've now got a week or two to work on those areas.
The week before your exam, do a practice paper if there is one, or a tute Q from every week if there isn't. Set yourself a time limit.
The night before your exam, do a bunch of Qs from the easy areas that you identified a few weeks ago, so you go to sleep thinking you're really smart.

Time Management
Doing this stuff shouldn't turn you into a zombie. It won't take long, you just have to get into the routine. Remember that higher education is a privilege, and there are starving kiddies in Africa, etc. Uni costs you a lot of money and you know you should be making the most of it, but you don't because you're lazy.

UNSW recommends 1.5 hours private study per contact hour.

Engo students:
26 uni hours per week = 37 study hours per week = 63 hoursper week total

Arts students:
5 uni hours per week = 7.5 study hours per week = 12.5 hours per week total

Last edited:
L

littlewing69

Cramming is hardcore. The way to strike a balance is to organise some sort of structure for your cramming, and make sure you already have all relevant material before you cram. That way, the blind panic in the week leading up to the exam works for you rather than against you.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I am lazy. But cramming is what I usually do. After all, why else would they give us STUVAC? :) I'm inclined to think that if I did the homework (on a regular basis), that would be a good substitute for revising... since the homework Q's (at least for us) tend to be related to what we learnt in the previous week's lectures.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
drewbrow1 said:
Andy's Guide to Not Sucking at University
(Stuff that everyone knows, but nobody does)

Revision
Revise what you learnt in the day, every night. Do it you lazy bastard. You know you're supposed to. Do it right now. You might learn something.
Re-write the notes you took in class neater and clarify anything you were unsure of. Highlight anything you think is important that you want yourself to notice when you come to revise. On the weekend, take half an hour to read everything you wrote during the week. This might take you fifteen minutes a night and half an hour on the weekend, but it will improve your marks drastically.

Tutorial Qs
Do all the tutorial questions before, during, or immediately after the tute. Try to check your answers with the tutor or answers on WebCT or BoB. Now file away all that stuff so you can do them again a few weeks before your exam. When you get stuck, look at your previous answers. Easy.

Assignments
Start assignments the day you get them. Serious. Work you do in week 4 is work you won't have to do in week 13. Energy is conserved. Leibniz is happy.
Try to figure out how long each assignment will take you (in hours), then double it and allow that much time.
Set yourself an absolute deadline to be finished two days before they're due. When you finish an assignment, leave it for a day and then read it back to yourself. I guarantee you will find something to change. Luckily you finished two days early, and now have a whole day to change it. If you trust your friends not to copy, get them to have a look through it.
Remember to save at least 15 copies of everything you do on the computer. One on the hard drive, one on a usb drive. Get a gmail account and email yourself everything you do.

Exam Time
Because you've done all your assignments early, you can start reading your notes in week 13 or 14. Read a week or two worth of notes per night, and try a couple of tute Qs. This will help identify anything you can't do. You've now got a week or two to work on those areas.
The week before your exam, do a practice paper if there is one, or a tute Q from every week if there isn't. Set yourself a time limit.
The night before your exam, do a bunch of Qs from the easy areas that you identified a few weeks ago, so you go to sleep thinking you're really smart.

Time Management
Doing this stuff shouldn't turn you into a zombie. It won't take long, you just have to get into the routine. Remember that higher education is a privilege, and there are starving kiddies in Africa, etc. Uni costs you a lot of money and you know you should be making the most of it, but you don't because you're lazy.

UNSW recommends 1.5 hours private study per contact hour.

Engo students:
26 uni hours per week = 37 study hours per week = 63 hoursper week total

Arts students:
5 uni hours per week = 7.5 study hours per week = 12.5 hours per week total
Good advice buddy:)
But its easier said than done
But its my first semester of uni
I have 5 years to master my study habits
But in the meantime...
I'm a crammer.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
haha I'm a crammer, always have been. (It will change next sem :rolleyes:)

Just look at my handywork in some of the threads around in MQ forums, namly the Last Minute Help threads..haha.

HSC
I'm not a crammer, but I've been forced to be one in uni purely cos of time work and other commitments. :(

But I would have to say even 1.5 hrs per contact hour is bare minimum, even as an arts student. we have so much reading to do!!! :angry:

HSC
N/A
Ah....

I have just double-checked course outlines/webpages and have discovered I have three end-of-semester assessments/exams next week!!!!! (two hand-ins, one exam)

:eek:

*breathes*

HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
Oh...someone else (A NAZI-COMMUNIST MOD) must've deleted it then.

My anger and sadness was misplaced, <333 for you.
hahaha, cool cool

G

Gavvvvvin

Looks like im gonna be doing some hardcore cramming...I havent attempted a single tutorial problem all semester and my lecture attendence hasnt exactly been great :eek:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Uni has forced me to cram--just so tired when I get home from uni just from the sheer overwealth of information I have supposedly 'absorbed' during the lectures (i.e. zero in other words but the pace makes me bowl over anyway), I do max 1-2 hours of 'work' (i.e. playing on the computer, maybe getting around to a good solid half hour of work every hour ;))

Though that's what my frees are for--these horrible 3 hour frees on my timetable looked really bad at the start of semester, but it was probably the best thing for me looking back on it--the only time when I was forced to work at uni cos the uni computers don't have games

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
hey i used to be a huge crammer but over the last 12 months i have actually managed to be organised (after realising i couldnt handle the stress anymore). However I dont really get many exams, mine are all essay based (i used to start everything the night before and stasy up til4-5am finishing..). The way I make myself do shit ahead of time is forcing myself to sit in a cubicle in the library for a pre-determined time and work..it works well because there is no distractions

frootloop

HSC
I'm a crammer... this semester

But that's all going to change next semester. I'm going to be so darn organised. (I hope)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
frootloop said:
I'm a crammer... this semester

But that's all going to change next semester. I'm going to be so darn organised. (I hope)
omg yeah i have to be soo organised next semester, or else im gonna be so screwed for my remaining university life
this semester im just experimenting......just to see how uni life is and how much they expect of you
so far...not doing good :(

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Yeah this semester I was getting used to it
I'll know what to expect kinda next semester
However it will be different as the proper law subjects start. This one was mainly business.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I'm a crammer to the max, and I mean max. Most of my essays are first drafts written the night before...no idea how I'm sitting on a D for two of my subjects. But yes crammy crammy crammy.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I started off the sem well by doing my work properly but I just trail off into laziness and the whole "can't be bothered" attitude.

I've wasted my Stuvac frittering away my time so now I'm doing bare minimum for my subjects and I think I'll pass (well, I'm sure I'll pass 3/4 of the exams anyway) but won't be doing stellar in them.

Sigh. I have an exam for ACCT in 3 days and I haven't touched the work...since my last tute for it like 2 weeks ago. Grrrrrrrr!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
politik said:
Definitely not a crammer. Im more of a quality over quantity sort of person when it comes to learning, and cramming doesnt work anyway. God knows you only retain 25% when focused, it's alot worse the night before.
woot!! found one!! so what do you do? are you prepared to share your inside secrets?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)