Is being able to read scores a must-have ability? (1 Viewer)

Legend-X

HSC
Hey guys, I would just like to tell you first that I have so-called Perfect Pitch (it's not perfect or absolute btw, exaggeration lol).

Since I was young I never liked looking at the score and playing it because I felt so limited. I hated music theories because I thought, "Why study relationship when they are just A and C and etc?" Now I am doing music 2 as year 11 and I am fairly good at piano but the problem came when I found myself unable to accompany for my friend who wants to play a classical piano duet with me. I can read the right hand part, but I cannot read the left hand (bass clef) part and I really had to teach myself really hard to actually stick to the score instead of making my own notes because in classical that is not allowed or something.

So, is it a must-have ability for music 2 in HSC? Would this actually affect my score in general? I am into jazz anyway so I don't think I would ever perform a classical piece but some insights are welcomed :)

HSC
yeah..they'll be assessments where you'll have to study scores..
lol..

unless you're like concerti and you can pretty much play back pieces after listening to them..(she's comes on bos often)..but you would still need to know how to read a score..it's definitely a must have

Legend-X

HSC
Oh I meant like I can't read scores and play them instantly, but I "can" read and analyse scores (and do the boring score reading lol). I meant in performance.
I can copy and play pieces after listening to them few times, and longer/harder ones I can play by listening to them for about 3~7 days, it depends on the complexity of the piece.

Last edited:

1337c4mp3r

HSC
Oh I meant like I can't read scores and play them instantly, but I "can" read and analyse scores (and do the boring score reading lol). I meant in performance.
I can copy and play pieces after listening to them few times, and longer/harder ones I can play by listening to them for about 3~7 days, it depends on the complexity of the piece.
I suppose you'd have to imitate a piece exactly note by note if your playing a song by ear... wouldnt you have to provide a score in for the examiner to follow as you play?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)