• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is business studies any good? (1 Viewer)

dogdogdog

HSC
Hi, I'm am thinking of doing business studies next year for year 11. I mainly like science but i think ill enjoy it.

Is it mainly about small business and studying their operations and doing assignments on a local one or is it more about big compainies like virgin group, telstra, coles myer and doing research tasky thingy's on them?

Thanks

LatK7

HSC
It's not confined to either. The prelim course covers bits and pieces of both....i think, wow i can't even remember much of prelim. But anyway, the HSC course involves a lot about the functioning of business. Management & Change, finance, marketing, Employment Relations, Global Business.

Compared to Sciences like Chemistry and Physics, it's easy, in a sense there are no real concepts to grasp, and only a few very basic formulas. There's quite a lot content in the course, however. But it's definitely manageable.

summermagic

HSC
Business studies is one of my favourite subjects at the moment. There is a fair bit of content and quite a lot of homework but I like it. In class at the moment (in prelim) i'm doing mainly small business and how to establish one. There's this major assignment where you have to draw up a business plan with research and it lasts the entire course.

wendybird

HSC
Preliminary Course you go through

-the importance of business- roles, stakeholders, business environment

-the key business functions- operations, marketing, finance and accounting, E R

-Establishing a business

-success and failure of business.

No particular overarching concepts; small and niggly details to memorise really.

My easiest subject- you can literally bullshit your way through the whole thing throwing in some terminology and score high marks!

oh and i havent had to do more maths than basic adding and subtracting:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Business Studies = Boring as shit

Dropped it after year 11. :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm only in Year 10, however, at High, we have the opportunity to "accelerate", and I just happened to choose Business Studies (mainly because I did pretty well in Commerce last year).

I think that it's enjoyable, except for the fact that there is a lot to remember for the exams. However, as people above me have stated, there's really no real concepts to grasp, but - at times, it is still quite hard (maybe just for a Year 10 student).

s-m-arky

HSC
N/A
BORING AS HELL. At least, my class is. There is seriuosly nothing to it, which may sound okay, but it is a waste of time and it feels like the subject is totally killing my brain cells.

Plus, although it's really easy, in the tests, at least at my school, they always ask the stupidest questions about really unimportant and unrelated stuff, including statistics and stuff that we don't even go through in class. I think they only do that coz else everyone would have full marks.

The assignments are a big pain, you have to do so much work for them. Case studies can be seriously painful :mad1:. And if they make you do a trade fair...best piece of advice you can get is to find a reliable person (or two) to do groupwork with because that's when business studies really kills.

There's a reason we call it b.s.

redom

HSC
yeah business studies can get boring! i did preety good in physics and business last year (prelim), got exactly the same mark in my yearlies. Only difference is i spent like 2 nights studying for business and 2mnths studying for phys!....it may be boring at times, but its much easier to understand things, simplier and takes alot less time!...i guess every subject has its pros and cons!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
its easy because there are no concepts to grasp except learning lists.
yeh, it was easy. I didn't study for my yearlies in yr 11 and still passed! I made soo much crap up! But there's a lot of memorising to do and most of it's quite repetitive. It's easy :) but shiiiitttt boring :sleep:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)