Is canberra a hole???? (1 Viewer)

cowsushi

HSC
N/A
im currently looking at uni of canberra as my top pref and with the restructuring and what not it sounds tops that u can combine media prod. with international studies... the only thing holding me back at this stage is canberra itself.

i have had opinions from both ends of the scale one that its a really nice place to live etc etc etc and second that its a complelty dried up dead town with no 'life' or character.

for anyone whp actually studied or lived there how is it really in terms of clubs pubs and the abilty to have fun

my fond memories of canberra to date have been school excursions where we have tried to count ppl not in cars and come to a grand total of three

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey,
Yes - the restructure is REALLY good - its a shame i can't get into the new commerce program, (1/2 way through it already)

I came from Harden, popn of 4000 people so coming to canberra was cool - so so so much bigger. I think ACT is EXCELLENT, cheap to live, quick o get around, reasonable entry marks to unis, etc Problery the only disadvantage (especially people from sydney) is the lack of night life, but if you stay on campus (i dont) you definately WONT have that much of a problem.

Canberra is problery made up of 3/4 public servants and 1/4 uni kids - both the big unis organise tonnes of stuff so you wont be bored.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
yeh there are clubs and they are OK. Like clubbing newhere it depends on the friends u go out with not the place u go. In civic (where most of the clubs are) there are a few good clubs... but if u want 2 compare clubbing with syd or melb then your going to be in trouble, coz even though the clubbing here isnt that bad its not that great either. Overall, i have to say that i like living in Canberra. Yes, it can be dead at times and sometimes you just want a bit of action, but i have to say that im glad i came here and didnt go 2 syd

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
and dont forget those sheep in Canberra Centre. Still trying to figure out what exaclty they mean.............

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Ultimate cliche, but Canberra will be what you make of it.
if you come here with the attitude that it will be boring, it will be. I mean there are shitloads of public servents living in nice suburban houses with there spouse, 2.1 children and their dog Rover. Its small and you will constantly run into people you know, the dude you randomly hooked up with at the pub will be in front of you in the line at the supermarket. If you want to focus on this it will be boring...
But on the other hand, it is a big uni town. We get lots of bands through and a lot of the drinking establishments understnad the uni-budget and price their drinks acordinggly (as someone already said RIP south pac!) If you are on campus (which you definetley should be for one year at least) there are always bar nights and formal events and random drinking in the corridor. We get all the same movies as Sydney and Melbourne, and while the shoppings not as good, your hardly restricted to 'Target Country' and Big W.
I've been here two years now and i really love it. Don't let people bullshit you about the weather, its not that cold here. Canberra is great becuas it had the lower pace of the country when you want that, but also the fun of the city when you feel like that. I'd definetly recomend it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)