Is chemistry that useful?? (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I'm thinking of dropping Chemistry or Extension 1 English.

I've heard I should drop Ext 1 Eng as it's scaling is poor and that many university courses (that don't have Chemistry as a pre-requisite) tend to pick students who study Chemistry over students who don't study chemistry.

Is there any truth in this and which courses need chemistry.

astro

HSC
it really depends on your desired university path...i mean there's no point in doing chemistry if you want to study law...

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I think what you first need to consider is what do you want to do at uni? Do you even need a uai?

I'm sure if you go well in either subject, even eng ext 1( lol, go to the scaling section on this forum, or the ext eng threads and im sure you'll find out that ext 1 eng doesnt scale too badly ;) )your uai won't be comprimised. Mmm if it was all about the scaling...you'd be taking you;re advanced eng and getting in as many of those language continuers courses as possible.

Mainly, adv eng and 2unit maths are common standards for uni course applicants. Just go and have a cup of tea with your careers counseller and find out all about it or get yourself a UAC (only nsw uni's but) UAC guide to give yourself a bit of an idea of what you need to be doing to get yourself into the course you want.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Ok.

I'm really not sure what I want to do at University.

So if I wanted the widest choices does that mean I should do Chemistry.?

My other subjects are:
3U Eng
3U Maths
Physics
Geography

and Chem.

astro

HSC
unlike me, you have a broad range of subjects...so you should really do the subject you're better at, or you enjoy more....don't rely on just the scaling to drop or not to drop...besides, if it's the scaling you worry about, geography isn't very flash, i suppose if you like it then it doesn't matter...

Plebeian

You should have some sort of booklet which tells you what various uni courses require. Generally, ext 1 maths and physics are more important than chemistry for science and engineering. Most other faculties shouldn't require chemistry. I doubt any faculty *requires* ext 1 eng but that doesn't mean drop it if you like it and are better at it than chem. In any case you can always do bridging courses in physics/chem/maths before the beginning of uni to bring yourself up to speed.
If you have a better idea what you want to do, email a uni or pm me and I can tell you the prerequisites.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
I am currently experiencing the same thing. What do you do if you're not great at Chemistry and hate it, but you're also not that terrific at English Extension but you need/want to drop one of those subjects.
Sigh, the choice between Chemistry and English Extension has been torturing me. Seriously. I hate Chemistry, and can't stand learning anything Chemistry, so its obvious that I should choose English Extension, but if I do that, I'm left with 10 units, so what happens if I screw it up. Arghhhh! Which subject is easier to improve your marks in?
Also, sorry jameszeng for invading your thread, but the scaling for both Chem and English Extension is not that different so choose the subject that you're good at, and the subject that you will most likely achieve higher results in. Because, in the end, its all about the UAI.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
No problems for invading. I'm in the same position.

I've got a really bad Chem teacher and I've read over the Chem HSC. I don't think I'm gonna be able to do it.

Though Eng Ext is also risky because there's only two esssay questions.

So dilemma dilemma dilemma.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Eng Ext over Chem. Though like you said, it's been torturing me as well. I've spoken to careers and my teachers.

They all say the same. Do what you like best.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
mate, i did chem in yr 11 and dropped it
partially b/c i was picking up 3 extn units and had to drop a subject, but i thought i t was boring as crap.
you should go with subjects u like
and eng extn scales very well
last yr 36/50 went to 44/50

Scanorama

HSC
It's not mandatory to drop a subject, in fact, some people do do 12 Units + for their HSC. If you do not what you want to drop at this point of time, try to give them a go for let's say a term, maybe next year you will find out what you what to drop, you can always drop a subject before the HSC starts.

I understand about the bad teacher factor, thats the same reason why I dropped Physics this year, hopeless to pass in HSC with that teacher. I did Chemistry and it wasnt that bad, better than Year 11 I can say.

Most uni courses require you to study any two unit english and maths. If you know what courses you would like to do with uni, grab yourself a UAC guide (your career teacher should have one copy at her office) to see the requirement of that subject(s). However if you do drop Chemistry and your course need you to ahev studied Chemistry, you can always do a bridging course after enrolment.

Hope this helps and good luck for you study in 2005 :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
my teacher was fucking my learning up big time. she kept giving me these stares in extenison english. i had her for advanced as well. she caused me to fail advanced and almost failing extension.

from teh school certificate i was a high band 5 person. she fucked me up big time. thts why i dropped extension english and picked up extension history.

do what you think is right. you will know what is right for you. history was just in my blood. i love doing history.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
UH...bridging course for chemistry...that sounds like it would be hell!!! Imagine 2yrs of chemistry compacted into 2weeks, ouch!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
6 weeks, actually.

I'd say drop Extension English if it would leave you with an odd number of units. Keep it otherwise. With an odd number of units, extension English is pretty useless. Even as a backpu, it'd only backup 1 unit value, which is useless.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
yer i agree with slide rule, but we both are enjoy the maths n science, and u have 2 make uo ur mind. i only have an odd amount of units (13) cos im goin 2 get 1/50 4 my SOR hsc exam. it will be my last exam n im walking out after 30min, n i m jus gunna answer the 1st question. lol. SOR has counted 4 every1 in my school since the new HSC has come in. i wanna be the 1st to make it no :D:D:D:D

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
No i'm doing 3U maths which evens up to 10 units with Ext 1. I'm thinking of picking up Ext 2 English.

Maybe i'll keep 12 units with Chem.

hopeiget100

HSC
N/A
James are you having Mr. Box for geography? I few of my friends at SSCBBC said that he is extremely boring.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
omg I dropped chem first chance I got I hate it, english ext 1 scales way higher than chem :S chem is 6 english ext 1 is 14... where did u get ur figures from and also I do ext 2 eng so thats always an option. Chemistry was just so incredibly boring for me I swear I had to drop it even tho I was within top 5 b4 I stopped caring. Its just one of those things I guess, put some rational thought into it and make a personal decision I think thats the best way to go about it. Also ask ur teachers for both subjects and your year advisor they would noe more about u that us lol ;) goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)