Is context important for AoS? (1 Viewer)

SureBluff

HSC
I know context plays a major part in module A B & C of the advanced course, but is it necessary to mention context in imaginary journeys? Btw, I'm doing the poems of Coleridge along with my own texts and the usual booklet stuff.

SureBluff

HSC
I know you can mention the context, but my problem with it is that I don't know whether or not the context of the poems would contribute to my essay/speech/whatever in terms of marks. (e.g. would not mentioning context result in me losing 1 or 2 marks?)

The conclusion that I reach with my extended response is that we are enlightened or reached a better understanding of the world around us because of the journey. Furthermore, the wisdom that we gain are universal, (e.g. we should stop and smell the roses as in Lime Tree Bower, or the decisions that we make as in Road not Taken and etc) and therefore I don't see how context is relevant to my argument.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Could you maybe explain it as a technique? Frost illustrates that in life one must make a choice, this is shown by the context of his poem which is a metaphor for life....?

SureBluff

HSC
I don't see how context is a metaphor for life but I guess you could argue that the change in context could reflect on the different lessons that you learn through the text, throughout the ages. I just dunno how I would integrate that into my response.

and another thing, I don't see how you would have enough time to go into sufficient details on Coleridge if you choose to do more than 1 poem.

Dr_Doom

HSC
But the context of his poem is about making a decision in life...

SureBluff

HSC
no, context means the range of personal, social, historical, cultural and workplace conditions in which a text is responded to and composed.

Dr_Doom

HSC
SureBluff said:
no, context means the range of personal, social, historical, cultural and workplace conditions in which a text is responded to and composed.
Oh I see... So what would the context of Wind in the Willows be??

SureBluff

HSC
early 1900s English society - deal with the distinction amongst classes and such, again, this isn't really important unless you're doing the modules of Eng Adv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)