Is Criminal Defence Lawyer a terrible job? (1 Viewer)

rosegem

HSC
In legal class a guest speaker came to talk about his experience as a criminal defence lawyer and said something along the lines of, "I knew my client was guilty of murder but we can't say that in court ...." We also watched some videos of defence lawyers in court and (i know this is a very long and maybe boring case) the Jodi Arias case came up and we were watching her defence lawyer speak. I know that the lawyer got so much hate online and even death threats but wasn't she just doing her job? I admit sometimes her presentation and speaking wasn't perfect but i thought she did what she had to do - represent Arias and fight for her.

So even if they know their clients are guilty/lying, their job is to still be on their side right?? Then why do people give them so much hate if that is the nature of their job?
Will being a crime defence lawyer always be so depressing and terrible to have people look down upon you the whole time??

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
If you're doing murder trials, chances are you're a barrister. High profile cases attract the best of legal minds. Your job as a lawyer is to seek the best result for your client regardless of your opinion of them as a person. After all, were all presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I know most criminal defence lawyers don't really give a shit what people think about them and they're extremely proud of their profession.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Your duty is to the Court, not your client... If you KNOW your client is guilty (by confidential admission to you)... GG to your client, you have to either: excuse yourself from acting on their behalf, or, advise them to plea guilty...

The guest speaker is talking shit, he is trying to glamorise a profession and groom his ego...

(of course, there are some people you will obviously have your suspicions about, to those clients, play ball, and don't ask whether they did it...)

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Your duty is to the Court, not your client... If you KNOW your client is guilty (by confidential admission to you)... GG to your client, you have to either: excuse yourself from acting on their behalf, or, advise them to plea guilty...

The guest speaker is talking shit, he is trying to glamorise a profession and groom his ego...

(of course, there are some people you will obviously have your suspicions about, to those clients, play ball, and don't ask whether they did it...)
95% of people plea anyway. Guilt is just part of the picture, getting a reduced sentence is the majority of the work and getting evidence thrown out.

jaydizzlegear

HSC
you can still act on their behalf
u obviously haven't looked at the solicitors' rules lately
check yourself

Hatake88

HSC
its not a morally terrible job when you believe the court will render the correct decision.

also, cases are rarely black and white.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
its not a morally terrible job when you believe the court will render the correct decision.

also, cases are rarely black and white.
I don't think most lawyers care about the whole morality thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)