Is doing past paper a good way for revision? (1 Viewer)

Alleluia

UAI99
HSC
I found it's hard to collect all the solutions to Syllabus even there is one on CSU web(our teacher called it 'Band4 answer'). So I gave up searching the solutions in the textbooks. Then I did most of the questions on 'Successful Chemistry'(Actually, I just copied the answer and memorized it). Lukily in the HALF YEARLY EXAM the questions didnt change much compare with our school's past half yearly papers.
I have no idea about what I CAN DO if the questions change a lot in the exam. Plz can any high Band5 or Band6 Students give me some advice for study Chemistry(Band 6 way)?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Past HSC Papers, Notes and Classmates are a good combination ... and yes past HSC papers is a plus ..

Well getting a Band 6 is quite difficult, the examiners ask often difficult or rarely noticed questions to organise the better candidates ...

Sorry, I was talking about the school certificate, either way past papers help ...

HSC
You need knowledge too backup your past papers answers, thing is if you do books that constantly hammer with similar questions like Success one chemistry, you almost memorise and have prefab answers in your brain. It helped me for HSC

tennille

HSC
Learn the syllabus dot points as much as possible, even if it involves doing your own research on Google. Don't memorise the information; try and understand it, then you will be able to elaborate on it during the exam.

stargaze

HSC
Heyhey,

Past papers are a really good way of familarizing yourself with what type of questions u can expect from your trials/hsc.

There are plenty of ways u can cover every single dot point in the syllabus - textbook, teacher's notes, notes from this site, answers to past paper qs, google, etc... Just think of it this way - they can only ask u qs that are in the syllabus, so once u have a comprehensive understanding of all/most dotpoints, u are on your way to pretty solid marks.

A l

HSC
N/A
Alleluia said:
I found it's hard to collect all the solutions to Syllabus even there is one on CSU web(our teacher called it 'Band4 answer'). So I gave up searching the solutions in the textbooks. Then I did most of the questions on 'Successful Chemistry'(Actually, I just copied the answer and memorized it). Lukily in the HALF YEARLY EXAM the questions didnt change much compare with our school's past half yearly papers.
I have no idea about what I CAN DO if the questions change a lot in the exam. Plz can any high Band5 or Band6 Students give me some advice for study Chemistry(Band 6 way)?
First of all DO NOT SOLELY RELY ON TEXTBOOKS TO ANSWER AND MEMORISE SYLLABUS DOT POINTS!!!! This is a major flaw in many students and each year, examiners tend to catch out those who memorise rather than understand. It is even stated in the Markers' Comments for the exams. Besides how on earth can you memorise the entire course? You must UNDERSTAND what you are learning and try to answer the points YOURSELF. It would be virtually impossible to score a band 6 if you memorised your way through the course. How do HSC examiners catch out those who rote learn the course? Here's some methods of doing so:
- More and more questions cover SEVERAL dot points (sometimes a question may link different modules together) instead of just a single dot point. Usually, textbooks answer single dot points only. Asking a question covering several dot points can only be done successfully by someone who understands the course content.
- There is at least one entire question (and its parts) which assesses ONLY section 9.1 in the syllabus. This section refers to Chemistry skills which often have little to do with the main course content (which are 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 + Option) and these cannot be learnt by memorising. (E.g. assessing reliability of sources, graphing, risk assessments...etc)
- Some questions are very specific. The verbs may be shuffled a bit compared to the actual dot point. Sometimes only half a syllabus dot point and another half of a syllabus dot point can be assessed. You may be required to establish a link between concepts that you have learnt as separate concepts in class or in textbooks. There are also questions which provide stimulus material and ask you to answer a question in reference to that stimulus. Such questions require you to APPLY your understanding and knowledge to work out something. There's no way you can get full marks in such a question using memorised repsonses.

Hence, my advice is UNDERSTAND the course content and provide YOUR OWN solutions to the dot points. Remember that a typical band 6 student usually:
Demonstrates an extensive knowledge and understanding of the concepts of the chemistry course content including context, prescribed focus areas and domain. Displays an outstanding ability to describe and explain chemistry concepts, including abstract ideas, clearly and accurately, and to apply the concepts to unfamiliar situations. Applies a high level of critical thinking skills in developing appropriate solutions to problems involving a long sequence of related tasks. Analyses, evaluates and extrapolates chemical data effectively, identifies complex relationships, quantifies explanations and descriptions, and synthesises information to draw conclusions. Communicates succinctly, logically and sequentially using a variety of scientific formats. Demonstrates a high level ability to design an experimental procedure.

Alleluia

UAI99
HSC
Thanks so much , now I have a clear idea about what is chemistry actually is and what I should really do for Chemistry. It's not like Extension2 maths that has an exactly answer. No wonder every yearly there are many Top band for Maths but only 0~1 in Chemistry at my school ...

LynH1326

HSC
Go to the CSU/HSC Online website. It gives you all the dot-points for the course and shows you what you should be able to do. It's very good for Chemical Monitoring and Management and the Industrial option.

At least the past papers help give you an idea of what they can ask. My teacher said take notice of any experiments that you have done in class and assessment tasks as the examiners can ask about any procedure/experiment that you have ever done in year 12.

My teacher gave my class booklets with past papers from 2001-05 and the Science Teachers Association's trial paper.

Good luck.... I suck at chem.... :p

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
I got Band 6 in Chem as an accelerated student last year. DOING PAST PAPERS was a life saver. My school gave us booklets that they had binded together of all the past hsc papers as well as the past trial papers from places like Neap and all the major schools in NSW and we just worked through them, sometimes even doing the paper more than once. You start to even memorise sentences and phrases and the like from doing that.

And yes, as everyone already mentioned, UNDERSTANDing it is the key!! Be sure to make ur teacher work for you and to clear up any misconceptions or minunderstandings that you may have!

matt161989

HSC
Past papers are best way to study. Not only are they effective, but they you don't get bored with them as much as you would during other study methods. I done the past 5 hsc's for physics before trial and topped my class. I done them all as open book and not under test conditions that way i could revise things when I found holes in my understanding then put them on paper to make it stick.
Best study method eva A+++

mr coolerer

HSC
I find that detail in your answers is a good way to bring up your marks.

Use equations, figures and exact examples of your point.

Like many other people have stated, try to understand HOW things work, then try for WHY things happen. With this you should be able to answer most questions.

Take past papers, both HSC and trial exams, write the question at the top, and answer the question in detail, HOWEVER do not waffle, pad it out or put in unecessary fluff into your answers. The markers appreciate clear consise answers, but the trick is to provide enough detail. It is a very fine balance.

When you have done past papers, mark them yourself and re do it. Take these second set of answers to your teacher and ask them (politely) to critique and improve your answers.

Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)