Is Economics hard? (1 Viewer)

tazzy664

HSC
I am just wondering if Economics is a challenging subject as some people say that it is easy and boring whereas others say it scales extremely well? I know it can be both but from your experience is it a difficult subject?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends on the person, but I've found a lot of people find it difficult.

laodeming

HSC
It really depends on the person, but I've found a lot of people find it difficult.
This. From what I've seen economics rewards a very particular type of thinking. People who can analyse situations in a strictly logical manner without necessarily paying heed to intuition generally find the subject very easy. For these people, eco isn't content heavy at all because most of the key concepts can be easily worked out given a set of core assumptions, removing the need for rote-learning.

For other people, this type of thinking doesn't come naturally and they find themselves spending an inordinate amount of time trying to memorise the trends and relationships that underpin each concept. This creates the 'content-heaviness' that people often talk about.

If you have the right way of thinking and are decently comfortable with writing essays, eco is one of the more straight-forward subjects you'll encounter. An interest in public affairs (i.e. regularly following the news) also helps.

jiujiu1123

HSC
Totally agree with what laodeming wrote earlier. Indeed, if you are good at logical analysis of rather basic economic issues, you should be set for economics. To be perfectly honest, during the HSC, I didn't feel the need to memorise anything or write notes for that matter. I always just had a look of the notes I bought from people as the basic information required for some analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)