is ext. history realy hard? (1 Viewer)

piecheck

HSC
N/A
is history ext. as hard as ppl are sayin? whats hared about it? is it the project thats mainly the hard part?

nwatts

HSC
The project is the easy part.

The course isn't as much hard as it is a lot of work. It's a 1 unit course which will take up more time than some of your 2 unit courses. You need to love reading and love writing essays to get a solid mark. If not, I suggest you do something different.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
History extension requires a lot of wide reading, and evaluation.
Especially for the project. You're reading/essay writing skills need to be up near the A range in your 2u history elective before considering this...you might need to speak to your history ext teacher about it.

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
piecheck said:
is history ext. as hard as ppl are sayin? whats hared about it? is it the project thats mainly the hard part?
The project should be the easiest part because most people pick something they are really interested in so they put the effort in. Having said that it's no easy task if you want to score well. Requires extensive reading and ' muckraking' to gather appropriate sources and discuss the issues of historiography. But it's worth it in the end..if you do your work and love the topic!

The main thing that stumps people in history extension is getting their head around the issue of historiography. It's hard in the respect that it's not clear cut, ' narrative' style history that you learn in the 2 Unit course. And the jargon and all the new 'critical approaches' to history.

Takes a lot of time because it's a lot of READING ( kid me not), but if you like history, learn well by reading and have good essay technique you will do well in this course. It's challenging, Don't give up half way through or anything because you understand more as you go on;)

I was like WTF? for the first term of year 12, but now it all makes sense and one of my best subjects! So GO FOR IT!

piecheck

HSC
N/A
hmm, cool guys, thanks for the tips and lettin me noe what to expect

veridis

droog
HSC
well going against what has been said here i found the workload to be quite reasonable for a 1u course, the workload of mod phys and eng adv were all substantialy more than double hist ext. but grasping the concepts is quite hard so if you had to spend time getting your head around them it could take a bit longer and a bit more in depth reading, though once you have them set revision is nice and easy just remembering quotes to use

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
im startin history ext next week, im kinda afraid that the workload would be too much, just like many of you sed, and that the concept of historiography and not being able to write in a 'narrative form' kinda scares me, for my writin skills are not like band6 material and it hard for me to get my ideas down quickly. but my english teacher, whom teachers modern, ancient and extension history said that ill be fine, as long as i put in the effort and that she'll help me along the way.

Demandred

HSC
The readings are hard. They are not like text books, these works are like the 'babies' of renowned scholars as they put in so much thought, care and love into their work, they polish their words so much that you need to read over it a couple of times.

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
See how you go!

hopeles5ly said:
im startin history ext next week, im kinda afraid that the workload would be too much, just like many of you sed, and that the concept of historiography and not being able to write in a 'narrative form' kinda scares me, for my writin skills are not like band6 material and it hard for me to get my ideas down quickly. but my english teacher, whom teachers modern, ancient and extension history said that ill be fine, as long as i put in the effort and that she'll help me along the way.
Yeh, like Veridis said towards the end remembering quotes and stuff is easy because you get used to using them. Take it and see how you go. If your doing both modern and ancient it seems like you really like history, so you will find this course really interesting and do well !
Yeh the readings are from reknowned scholars but there's a lot of scope in choosing which ones you do .E.G the Board of Studies Source book of readings is massive! Your school will only study a selection and you yourself can look at the ones that interest you in particular!

*Ya_So_CuTe*

HSC
Oops hopeless5ly, do u take both modern and ancient or does your teacher just teach them all? oh well! Put your best effort in from the start and you will reap great dividends at the end:)

piecheck

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
the concept of historiography and not being able to write in a 'narrative form' kinda scares meQUOTE]

huh?? What do you mean by narrative form? - i haven't heard anythin about narratives - though ive only just started ext. hist, like yourself.

piecheck

HSC
N/A
umm, gezz i donno y that doesn't look like a quote quote. sorri - u guys get the picture

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
*Ya_So_CuTe* said:
Oops hopeless5ly, do u take both modern and ancient or does your teacher just teach them all? oh well! Put your best effort in from the start and you will reap great dividends at the end:)

uhmm no my eng teacher is diff from my modern history teacher, but shes realli nice and more knowledgeable in the area of history compared to my current one. thanks by the way ..

piecheck wat i mean by 'narrative form' is like jus writin how an event occured, like the order of it and statin evidence based on it...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
yer i realli dunt kno how to explain, for it has to be based around the concept of historiography not realli 100% sure, correct me if im rong, but that wat some of my friends sed, im startin it dis thursday i fink

Plebeian

Demandred said:
The readings are hard. They are not like text books, these works are like the 'babies' of renowned scholars as they put in so much thought, care and love into their work, they polish their words so much that you need to read over it a couple of times.
Like bloody Keith Jenkins, I swear he intentionally makes it difficult to understand, not to mention coining new terminology every second sentence.

White's ideological modes of conservatism, liberalism, radicalism and anarchism become determinate; these, in interpenetrative ways, then attract to them tropological modes of configuration: the tropes of metaphor, metonymy, synecdoche and irony. Subsequently, these themselves interpenetrate with the modes of emplotment — romance, tragedy, comedy and satire — to then interpenetrate with the modes of formist, contextual, mechanical and organic argumentation.
:rolleyes:

Also, I think you're likely to find that Extension History is not really too narrative-based, you'll be focusing more on the issues of historiography.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)