Is Extension 1 enough for Actuarial Studies? (1 Viewer)

Stuffyman7

HSC
Hey everyone, I have completed my HSC in 2019, so this year and have met the necessary selection rank to study Actuarial studies at UNSW.

However, I am concerned at wheter MX2 is a very necessary requirement for success in the degree. For high school I had gone to quite a poor public school (Endeavour Sports High school) and only studied 2u and MX1 and was not awarded the ability to study MX2 at the school because it had never been run and the teachers didn’t want to run it. In the HSC I scored a 99 in 2u and 47/50 in MX1 in which I had poor exam management time skills in.

So can my study of 2u and MX1 and not MX2 still allow me to be successful in Actuarial studies and not fall very far behind?

If not can it be possible for me to study the extension 2 course myself and be not behind? I’m quite willing in interest of its topics and have already studied very minor stuff in the course in my time in result of my interest. Or maybe instead a bridging course in 4 unit more adequate.

Note: I have always had an immense passion for mathematics for years, if that means anything

Thanks

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Honestly if you're naturally good at math, it doesn't matter whether you did 4u or not.

If you look at the 4u topics, it should be evident that most of the course is pretty useless to actual studies, with complex numbers MAYBE having some application. Topics like induction, integration, proofs, mechanics, aren't going to find their way into a statistics-based course like actuarial studies. Even if they do, it won't take more than an hour for a reasonably capable student to learn the content.

_rakelt

HSC
Im sure if you got an E4 for X1, you would of done just as great for X2. I'd say you give UNSW a shot. My ex-tutor completed her HSC last year and did used to do actuarial (she did X2 maths). But she didn't enjoy it and moved to data science.

My recommendation is to give acturial a go, and if you don't think ur capable/enjoying it, im sure it is super easy to transfer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)