is having a tutor important?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Tutors are overpriced... but helpful
yeh the $50/hr ones are overpriced, but $20-25/hr are reasonably priced lol

Also, do you have any clue why tutors "cost so much" ??

The reason they charge as much as they do is because of the transport costs ( and the fact that they usually only get 1 or 2 hours of work at a time ) . Most other jobs have a minium shift of atleast 4hrs, just think about travelling somewhere for just an hours worth of pay , thats why tutors charge what they charge. If you have to get a bus ticket that costs $1.60 ( each way ) to get a location to tutor for only one hr you are obviously going to want to charge more. So if you were say charging $20/hr you would actually only get 20 - ( 3.20) = $16.80 for the hour of work , which is what a 19yr old would get from a standard casual retail job

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Often a Maths tutor can be very helpful, or even just a very talented or older friend who has knowledge of the course. A maths tutor might be able to provide a new insight to some concepts you don't understand or are having trouble with. A tutor is not essential, but I'm sure it would have helped me in maths, with regard to extension 2, and would have pushed me to do much more work than I did.

Don't spend too much on a tutor though, I'd only pay as much as $30/hr.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah and to add on, if you aren't capable of going ahead with content and if you're stuck with the current content, do not get a tutor who would go ahead, otherwise tutoring would not be to your benefit.

But if you're capable with the content you are studying atm and if you are determined to go ahead, by all means, do so =D

btw OP what subject do you have the really bad teacher in?

KayNine

HSC
Tutors are useful, but it wouldn't kill you if you didn't have one.
You can get a high ATAR If you can keep focused and motivate yourself enough :)

Portrayal

HSC
u dont nedz a tutor to get a hi=gh atar i am looking at getting one around 50 nd i dont evn hav a tutor

robertm

HSC
N/A
Having a tutor will definitely get you a higher ATAR.

jswlms

HSC
I didn't have tutors yet, but I think I might need some tutoring in the future.

malboroman

HSC
N/A
Most teachers will help you out if you show the commitment. If you have personal issues or their style is not to your liking then a tutor can be really helpful. Necessary no:helpful yes.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't have a tutor for anything. People in my year fork out a fortune for English tutoring but only get like 11 out of 20 in essays. If you need a tutor to teach you how to write an essay, you shouldn't be doing Advanced English.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Tutoring isn't needed imo. If you can focus yourself and study you should achieve.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
I agree you don't need a tutor, but if you need extra help there's always teachers you can talk to at lunch or recess.. their paid to also help you. :|

musing

HSC
I'll rephrase what I said in the similar thread:

Why spend so much $$$ to go tutoring when you can just revise/do some actual study/hand in essays to your teacher? But if you have a shit teacher or you don't understand some of the concepts, well that's understandable. Personally, I used to have an English tutor in year 11 but it didn't really help me a lot.

Seriously, just stop being lazy. It's better to find your own self-motivation/work hard as a preparation for your university studies - because there is no one that will be able to baby you along the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)