Is History ext hard? (1 Viewer)

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
That's so not true.
Let's just begin the stereotyping shall we...
white people can't do ext 2 maths
asians can't do ext 2 english...
GRRR
I h8 when people stereotype like that.
You can do ANYTHING you put your mind too.

X

xeuyrawp

I think it's always a good idea to have a go. If your teacher doesn't give you a flat-out 'no, don't do it/um, I don't think so' etc, have a go.

lzhu

HSC
grahame white was white, did ext 2 maths in yr11, got 96 i think, but im just saying, all the asian people that attempt it in ruse do crap, and my teacher said statistically, the private school students, often non asians get the higher marks

annie.e.

HSC
I'm doing the history ext course at the moment and in need of some serious assistance. i have my trial exam coming up in less than two weeks, the project was hell, and i'm worried my hsc score for extension will lower my overall uai. does anyone know about hist ext uai scaling?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
It depends on how well you enjoy and perform with history. The only thing i really hate about the course is the time consumption and the fact that the major work doesn't get marked externally which basically means all that research and hard work is worth shit. Understanding Historiography can get pretty god damn boring as well, but when you study the individual person thingy it's fun. We're doing JFK and that's not too bad.

Basically, don't do it unless you are prepared to give your time to it and you understand history! If not you're screwed and most likely you'll end up dropping it, which would be a real waste of valuable time. Oh and i know that most schools have morning classes for ext history - so if you like sleeping in make sure you consider that before choosing the course.

If you start the course, try your best to be persistent with your research because if procrastination wins, you're fucked and the mark you'll get in the end wont even be worth it. :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
annie.e. said:
I'm doing the history ext course at the moment and in need of some serious assistance. i have my trial exam coming up in less than two weeks, the project was hell, and i'm worried my hsc score for extension will lower my overall uai. does anyone know about hist ext uai scaling?
It doesnt scale your uai up much, unfortunately. With the amount of time and work involved in this course it should be worth a lot more when it comes to scaling. I honestly wish i had never done this course but it'll be stupid of me to drop it now.

kara11

HSC
ext history is a complelty different subject to ancient or modern.
also, it is an extension subject so it makes sense that it is harder and requires more effort.
i found it hard to start with but im doing constant revision every night which i neveer did for this subject before and it is all coming together.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Should I base my decision to do History extension based on my Modern mark or my passion for History, or a little of both? :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Kujah said:
Should I base my decision to do History extension based on my Modern mark or my passion for History, or a little of both? :)
Basically just make sure you enjoy and understand history of all kinds. Extension history doesn't focus on just modern or ancient, it's the study of history in different contexts and from different perspectives. I'd say base it on your passion for history not your modern mark but if you are doing exceptionally well in modern then you'll most likely do fairly well in ext history.

It's probably a good idea to look up Historians and there ideas about, "What is history?" and all that crap to get a rough idea of what you'll be studying. Because you'll be analysing historians views about history and writing essays about them. Make sure you don't find this course boring.....because as much as i love history, i regret selecting ext history.

However, in yr 12 ext history can help you in Modern history only if you understand historiography because we get questions about how the personality we've studied is presented in history etc.

Last edited:

mandas2choc

HSC
LMAO! im nailing both modern & ext. but then again, i love history. you really have to have a good teacher & u have to WANT to put in the hard yards! private vs public, spish, sposh. thats stupid. the ext hist class of my skool did crap all yr round last yr. major works were like 70% max. this years, 5 of us are in the 95+ . but the rest are there for 'scaling'.

DONT DO IT FOR SCALING! you have to love history & they way history is made. basically, if uve ever questioned why u learn outright facts in modern, ur up for it. i mean, why do they teach that the vietnam war was a bad idea from america? who said that? & why do we accept it as the truth? want to know abt that. & if u like contexts! ur up for it. do it if u like it. its ur last yr of skool! make the most out of it!

yep. im passionate abt ext history

nicci69

HSC
I am failing extension history, but its not because its hard, its because im lazy.
If you want to do the subject you have to be prepared for a lot of boring reading about historians from ancient to modern times. Also, you need to be prepared for a lot of work. Unlike ext. english you have to do BOTH a major work and topic study.. I picked a hard focus question for my major work and unfortunately only just passed... Dont ever do "Changing perspectives of war" Because you have to relate it to historians and how they have affected societies view of war... Not much info around on it.. Personally i would like to research if the bible was written as a fairytale... I mean Herodotus wrote history with appearances of the fantastic... And People like homer and writers of the bible did not worry about bias or reliability of sources.. Was the bible simply a story?

Anywhore, strayed off topic there..
Extension History is good IF you put in the effort and have a passion for history.
Thats all i have to say :)
xoxo

zaqwerty

HSC
I don't think it's hard if you can think individually, present and argue a good case, and if you can make up your own conclusions about things. I don't think it's about content so much, I mean, obviously you have to do a lot of reading, but it's not like other content-based subjects (such as modern or ancient) where you have to be able to regurgitate practically everything you've learnt to be able to get a good mark.

In simpler terms, it's not about a regurgitation of facts, it's about critical thinking. You've got to look beyond the surface.

Justina

HSC
Just wondering what kinda stuff you do in class for History ext.?

Also, my school is not offering it as a subject in school, coz there are only 2 students interested in it, but i can do it via correspondence or moodle (comp. program). Do you guys think that'll disadvantage me? I can still ask the History teacher at school for help and all that.

lady Arre

HSC
i love the subject... hate my class and the timetable- but thats neither here nor there.
Zaqwerty had it right though... its not about how much you know (though knowing details can help you remember the context of historians) its about critical thinking

and make sure that you choose a topic for your major that you are 1. able to write about 2. enjoy writing/readin about 3. arent likely to get hugely bored with

In my hist ext class this year weve had black adder,asterix and obelix and the historical accuracy of shakespeare...

and me- the celts. which im enjoying immensely.

so yeah, its a good course, difficult only because it challenges the way youd usually think

HSC
Justina said:
Just wondering what kinda stuff you do in class for History ext.?

Also, my school is not offering it as a subject in school, coz there are only 2 students interested in it, but i can do it via correspondence or moodle (comp. program). Do you guys think that'll disadvantage me? I can still ask the History teacher at school for help and all that.
the cousre is very hard as it repquires you to do a mjaor project, which is worth t least 70% of your final mark hence very hard to stay focus
i dropped it becaus it was too much work and i had to focus on modern history :) GOOD LUCK
the stuff you do is kind of broing, i didnt mind, but you lerarn abot very OLD hostrionans, sometimes it is hard to stay focused and you do drift offf.
if i was you, i wud focus on your history and try and do well as it is worth more untis
my teacher said ext hsit
is like the equaivanet to a 2 unit subject

X

xeuyrawp

love.is.around said:
Yeah, it's true. :(

They are considering splitting it and making it like English Extension I/II. Hope they do so.

lorikeet

New Year's Eve
HSC
Just to Loza33, or anyone else doing Eng Ext 2 as well as Ext History, how do the major works compare? i know eng ext 2 is just the major work while history involves other components, but how what's the comparison timewise?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
lorikeet said:
Just to Loza33, or anyone else doing Eng Ext 2 as well as Ext History, how do the major works compare? i know eng ext 2 is just the major work while history involves other components, but how what's the comparison timewise?
Ext II English - Three assessments for internal mark : The proposal, Viva Voce & Report. Major work for external mark

Ext history
- Three assessments + the major work for internal mark : Proposal, Essay, Essay & Major work. Exam for external mark.

I found Ext II english to be far less stressful and time consuming considering you finish the course early where as ext history continues until the end of your HSC.

In Ext II all your assessments are based on your topic, which means it's much easier to discuss however with ext history the two essays are based on the topics you will be studying in class (historiography and case study)- for some this is difficult as some can't understand and relate historiography to other contexts.

Justina

HSC
love.is.around said:
the cousre is very hard as it repquires you to do a mjaor project, which is worth t least 70% of your final mark hence very hard to stay focus
i dropped it becaus it was too much work and i had to focus on modern history :) GOOD LUCK
the stuff you do is kind of broing, i didnt mind, but you lerarn abot very OLD hostrionans, sometimes it is hard to stay focused and you do drift offf.
if i was you, i wud focus on your history and try and do well as it is worth more untis
my teacher said ext hsit
oh okies, thanks for the advice.
I'm really having second thoughts about doing it now, everyone says it's hard :( but i guess i'm kinda trapped coz i totally suck at Legal studies, i really want to drop it. ah well.....

ostensible

HSC
Personally i don't think HEX (ext. his) is really hard; it just requires that you think about history from a different perspective than is usually taught in Ancient or Mdern history. The difficult things are learning to write with the level of sophistication required to do well and the porojet. I made the mistake of choosing a really difficult topic 'The Marquis de Sade: Villain, Idol or a Controversial Author?' which did not have a variety of historians D=

if you are willing to complete a sustained level of work you should do well and learn alot

<3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)