Is History Extension hard??? (1 Viewer)

sly_skittle

HSC
Yes. You look at buckets of historians but now what they reserached, what they wrote. The case study is good because you actualy get to learn about a historical topic

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
IcA-Tom only said:
Is it hard what kind of stuff do you do????
Very hard, but its worth it, there's lots of readings, and its broken up into three parts and its only a 1 unit course but there's alot packed into it, waay too much
actually because we missed out on lots of lessons. Your class is almost guarenteed to have drop outs!

~ Historiography: Where you learn about a number of historians (the Readings) since Herodotus' (so called father of history) time onwards till Postmodernism (someone correct me)... you'll learn about how they write, their context that affects them, the key questions and various other bits and pieces.

~ Case Study: So you'll study how various historians write (using the key questions) about a period or a personality.

~ Project: Personal choice, you essentially research over a period of time, a major work of a histiographical essay on your topic of choice ... however you have to come up with some focus questions and it requires quite a bit of work. (with a log, proposal, report and things too). It's meant to be worth 40% of your in school assessment.

:) ITS HARD CAUSE THE CLASSES ARE LIKE EITHER VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING OR LATE IN THE AFTERNOON AND THERE ARE A MAXIMUM OF 2 HRS A WEEK OF LESSONS :)

Snarkie

HSC
I think History Ext is one of those subjects where you get out what you put in. You can make it as simple or as difficult as you like for yourself. Personally, I really enjoy it and I think it's really interesting. There is a lot of reading but I don't think it's difficult... it's pretty straightforward to me. Also my half yearlys are worth 3% and my trials 7% so that takes a lot of pressure of exams which definately adds to the appeal for me.

sly_skittle

HSC
After getting my results back I wouldn't recommend this subject unless you go to a really good school. No one at our school got an E4 and we had some really smart people in our class. I managed to get in the mid 40's but I had to work really hard.
Compared to all my 2 unit subjects, extension probably took twice as much time as others with half the results. I'd recommend sticking with a 2 unit course instead of dropping the 2 units and picking up one because the work load would probably be lighter and the marks better.
You could still give it a go but if you were going to drop another subject, wait for a few weeks because I dropped my subjects before I had my first class and I only had 10 units so I was stuck.

HSC
Jachie said:
I'll be doing two other Majors in Year 12 (Drama and English). Would it be overload for me to do History Extension too, or is it managable?
I did and I'll tell you now you have to really want to do all three.
You have to be extremely organised and hard-working and you also have to get the right markers for EE2 cos if you get someone that doesn't like what you did for some reason then you're fucked (sorry I'm just a bit bitter about EE2 at the moment after my school assessment mark scaled from 43 to 28).

So in short, yes, it's definitely doable but you have to have the dedication and the time. I would suggest at least starting all three and if you find it's too much you can always drop something.

HSC
I dunno if I'd say it's a hard subject... There's lots of reading and research involved. And the early morning/afternoon classes to deal with too. I did average in History Extension, it's not bad, you learn some skills along the way and all these things concerning history that may be too much at first. I plugged my scores into SAM including the extension mark and excluding it and it probably helped me gain 4-5 extra UAI points. Was worth it :)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
I did and I'll tell you now you have to really want to do all three.
You have to be extremely organised and hard-working and you also have to get the right markers for EE2 cos if you get someone that doesn't like what you did for some reason then you're fucked (sorry I'm just a bit bitter about EE2 at the moment after my school assessment mark scaled from 43 to 28).

So in short, yes, it's definitely doable but you have to have the dedication and the time. I would suggest at least starting all three and if you find it's too much you can always drop something.
Thank you very much for the advice. At the moment there's no question about me doing EE2; I love the subject and am confident in my ability in it. History Ext. is the major question mark for me. I've got a year before I have to make a decision, I just wanted to get a general idea early. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)