Is HSC 2U enough? (1 Viewer)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys!
I'll be doing ECMT1010- 'business and economics statistics A' in semester one, is knowledge of 2U maths enough for this unit?
A friend of mine told me that her tutor did 4U and still found this unit quite difficult :S which freaked me out a little....
Thanks!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys!
I'll be doing ECMT1010- 'business and economics statistics A' in semester one, is knowledge of 2U maths enough for this unit?
A friend of mine told me that her tutor did 4U and still found this unit quite difficult :S which freaked me out a little....
Thanks!
ECMT1010 isn't really like anything you've done in school (3U and 4U included) but it does use a variety of statistical concepts so I don't think there's much to worry about.

Conceptually, it's different to the areas you would associate with high school mathematics so even those well versed in maths can struggle and vice versa.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
3u is recommended for statistics i think but 2u is still fine.

Hatake88

HSC
Hi guys!
Thanks!
I did ECMT1010 a year ago and I remember the tutor telling me right off the bat that you need around a band 5 in 2U maths to cope. Like I said in my other post, I found his evaluation to be fair - you won't need to know 4u content but you do need to know how to differentiate and find stuff like variance/standard deviation right off the bat. And you need to be able to do it at a pretty fast pace too. If you do struggle however then you need to make a visit to the maths center.

Personally, I think the key to doing well in this subject is never to leave it to the last minute. Unlike arts subjects, ECMT1010 builds upon itself throughout the semester (and eventually into ECMT1020) so if you skip a lecture or two then you are unlikely to understand anything towards the end. Likewise, I highly recommend you complete the tutorials/quizzes/individual assignment yourself as they are very similar to the final exam. I had friends who thought they were a waste of time and just copied off one another (especially since the tutors don't check the tutorial work) and they barely passed in the end. I think 20% of my cohort failed the mid semester exam and the median final grade was only a high pass.

If you want, and if I can find some of the stuff, I can send you samples of the lectures/tutorials. Just PM me.

rope

HSC
N/A
They might've changed the course structure since hatake88 did ecmt1010 since I had a much, much different experience when I did it last semester. Thought it was an absolute breeze, and I'm sure as hell not alone since the average midsem mark was 80%. I recall our lecturer also saying that the average for the online quizzes was pretty high as well, we (as in, the cohort) only got slightly negative feedback for the 10% written assignment. fwiw, I did 2U and definitely don't consider myself crash hot in math and went really well.

edit: just searched through my emails and the midsem mark was actually higher: mean 20.51/25 & median 21/25, so around 84%.

Last edited:

Hatake88

HSC
They might've changed the course structure since hatake88 did ecmt1010 since I had a much, much different experience when I did it last semester. Thought it was an absolute breeze, and I'm sure as hell not alone since the average midsem mark was 80%. I recall our lecturer also saying that the average for the online quizzes was pretty high as well, we (as in, the cohort) only got slightly negative feedback for the 10% written assignment. fwiw, I did 2U and definitely don't consider myself crash hot in math and went really well.

edit: just searched through my emails and the midsem mark was actually higher: mean 20.51/25 & median 21/25, so around 84%.
Wow. That is a pretty fast change then. The marks for the online portion has always been high but that's only because we text one another the answers the night before the thing closes. And you guys had a 10% written assignment? We just had pages after pages of questions asking for calculation on Excel (and specifically Kaddstat).

But no. Even though I did the exact same content as listed below, I am pretty sure the average for my semester was nowhere near 80 as I remember Simon (the new asian lecturer) sighing about our mid-sem marks. He is a pretty good lecturer btw but yeah...times must have changed (or your cohort must be geniuses!)

rope

HSC
N/A
Wow. That is a pretty fast change then. The marks for the online portion has always been high but that's only because we text one another the answers the night before the thing closes. And you guys had a 10% written assignment? We just had pages after pages of questions asking for calculation on Excel (and specifically Kaddstat).

But no. Even though I did the exact same content as listed below, I am pretty sure the average for my semester was nowhere near 80 as I remember Simon (the new asian lecturer) sighing about our mid-sem marks. He is a pretty good lecturer btw but yeah...times must have changed (or your cohort must be geniuses!)
He must've tweaked the difficulty after not-so-great results from previous cohorts but seemingly went a little too far, I remember being pleasantly surprised by how basic the midsem was, which explains the borderline HD median. Also looks like the assignment changed as well, we only needed vanilla excel + statkey, and the questions were what you'd expect from normal homework. Here's a copy of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6b1ygk4pxcdwpm/Assignment.pdf

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I hear that this subject uses the same textbook of Business Statistics at UTS which was what I studied last year. As I also look at your outline, I gotta really say that the mathematics knowledge isn't that high but you will use quantitative methods. A person with a General Maths background can even study this without any problem. In fact, the population of HD and D scorers mostly came from a background of General Maths of the Business Statistics subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)