Is hsc English a real subject? (2 Viewers)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lul at the people using maths to deduct points from the Maths >> English.

Anyways I agree with everything Beve has said in this thread. Except the part where he bags out Maths.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
I wish I never chose it. I started in MX1 and made my way to General. Because it was so time consuming, and it was time I didn't have.

But now I'm bored, too.
your wasting your time with exten 2 eng which is a bigger consumer of time than maths, atleast with a subject like maths you actually know your getting somewhere. In english its all faggy and wasteful, something is never "right", you can always do something better ( or thats what the teachers say) but how does one know what is "better", or how to do better, there is not a universal standard to which everything is compared to. English (especially in my school) seems to favouritism, the top class gets all the good marks (for doing jack shit, half the time the teacher just tells them what "exciting adventure" she had on the weekend) and everyone else gets some shit 60%

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i just wanna noe how many people r with me wen i say English 2u isnt a real subject as such. Personally ,English is my worst subject, not that im not good at it, but because i think its pointless.

i fucking HATE english
and wish it wasnt compulsory
its dragging me down SO bad

but that doesnt mean its a "fake" subject
i just dont think it should be compulsory

spence

HSC
your wasting your time with exten 2 eng which is a bigger consumer of time than maths, atleast with a subject like maths you actually know your getting somewhere. In english its all faggy and wasteful, something is never "right", you can always do something better ( or thats what the teachers say) but how does one know what is "better", or how to do better, there is not a universal standard to which everything is compared to. English (especially in my school) seems to favouritism, the top class gets all the good marks (for doing jack shit, half the time the teacher just tells them what "exciting adventure" she had on the weekend) and everyone else gets some shit 60%
Whoa, so the people in the top class get good marks? Definately must be a conspiracy

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Alright, all you motherfuckers. English, whether you like it or not, is the mdeium of language for the country. Now, a lot of people complain, but we're doing English Literature. So what? You already know the fucking language. Do you really want to spend two years learning a language you already speak? Does that even make sense? You've been learning it from Kindergarten to Year 10, you don't need to learn English. You need to learn how to apply it properly. Maybe you will never write an essay again, you will at least expand your vocabulary and understanding. You may find you like books you never thought you'd like, and come to appreciate the beauty and intricacies of the English language. You may never need to know any techniques again, but you can utilize these techniques in your everyday language so you don't sound like a hairless gorilla. For those that are saying Maths should also be compulsory, remember this. You WILL need English no matter what. You may not however, need Maths. You will have already learnt whatever Maths you need for certain careers by the end of Year 10. Not true for English. The language is so vast, like the plains of Siberia, that it is impossible to fully conquer the subject.

In additon, to those complaining English drags me down, SHUT THE FUCK UP, GET THE FUCK OFF THE COMPUTER AND WRITE A FUCKING ESSAY, HAND IT IN TO YOUR TEACHER AND GET THEM TO MARK IT AND TELL YOU WHY THE FUCK YOU ARE FAILING ENGLISH.

I love Maths as well, but for those who cannot grasp it, by all means, they should be allowed to not do it. If you cannot grasp English then you don't deserve to be going to University. If you can't understand a book properly, and understand the deeper meaning behind it, how the fuck do you expect to understand shit in Uni?

I personally prefer 3U Maths to 3U English, however I feel a lot of it is based on the texts. I hate Emma/Clueless, so I dislike 3U English. In conclusion, English should be compulsory, as none of you fruitcakes can propose an alternative way of studying English. But I still like Maths more.

Q.E.D.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Alright, all you motherfuckers. English, whether you like it or not, is the mdeium of language for the country. Now, a lot of people complain, but we're doing English Literature. So what? You already know the fucking language. Do you really want to spend two years learning a language you already speak? Does that even make sense? You've been learning it from Kindergarten to Year 10, you don't need to learn English. You need to learn how to apply it properly. Maybe you will never write an essay again, you will at least expand your vocabulary and understanding. You may find you like books you never thought you'd like, and come to appreciate the beauty and intricacies of the English language. You may never need to know any techniques again, but you can utilize these techniques in your everyday language so you don't sound like a hairless gorilla. For those that are saying Maths should also be compulsory, remember this. You WILL need English no matter what. You may not however, need Maths. You will have already learnt whatever Maths you need for certain careers by the end of Year 10. Not true for English. The language is so vast, like the plains of Siberia, that it is impossible to fully conquer the subject.

In additon, to those complaining English drags me down, SHUT THE FUCK UP, GET THE FUCK OFF THE COMPUTER AND WRITE A FUCKING ESSAY, HAND IT IN TO YOUR TEACHER AND GET THEM TO MARK IT AND TELL YOU WHY THE FUCK YOU ARE FAILING ENGLISH.

I love Maths as well, but for those who cannot grasp it, by all means, they should be allowed to not do it. If you cannot grasp English then you don't deserve to be going to University. If you can't understand a book properly, and understand the deeper meaning behind it, how the fuck do you expect to understand shit in Uni?

I personally prefer 3U Maths to 3U English, however I feel a lot of it is based on the texts. I hate Emma/Clueless, so I dislike 3U English. In conclusion, English should be compulsory, as none of you fruitcakes can propose an alternative way of studying English. But I still like Maths more.

Q.E.D.

Well said my friend, well said! 100% correct

@johony -- it's your personal preference to like English or Maths. Namu actually wants to do well so he puts in effort and you can see by his results that he actually cares, he'll probably end up first in state for Standard English and 3u & 4u maths because of the effort he is putting in.

The point being, do what pleases you and leave others out of it.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
hsc english is a waste of life.
most of what ii learn in advanced english is useless. how will the a.o.s help me when i'm in the workforce? how will shakespeare or dickinson help me?

carlytse621

HSC
English is okay.....but i don't know why it has to be compulsory
its kinda sad for me as i am not very good in English
apprantely i want to study business in uni
but i probably end up with a crap uai because i can't do good in english
thus because i can't analysis texts and all these techniques
so i can't get in uni to study business which is all about maths and others

I don't mind there's english subject but why it is compulsory? or they can make a more basic english course and let people decide whether they want to take a more advance course. Also 40 mins for each part in the english paper is too short!!!! even i know what to write u still need to give me a break and like few minutes to think etc. My arm has broken in the 1/2 yearly man!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HSC 09~

English Adv

Maths 3u

Physics :burn:
Chemistry

Business Stud.

carlytse621

HSC
Because you can't speak fucking english you can't make business deals with others. It's not all about maths. Natural talkers are the best business men. Not illiterate fools. Therefore English is compulsory to make sure people like you don't get into Uni when you can't properly comprehend the language.
Who say i can't speak English!!!! I am just not good at analysis the techniques man! What's wrong with u? Don't be agressive!!!! We are discussing not fighting!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Because you can't speak fucking english you can't make business deals with others. It's not all about maths. Natural talkers are the best business men. Not illiterate fools. Therefore English is compulsory to make sure people like you don't get into Uni when you can't properly comprehend the language.
HSC english doesn't teach you shit about the language or eloquence, it teaches you about literature.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
HSC english doesn't teach you shit about the language or eloquence, it teaches you about literature.
I think by the end of Year 10 you should know language and eloquence anyways. Year 11 and 12 is just comprehending texts and what they mean using those skills, effectively just refining them. I take back my differentiating comment. A business deal is just a very persuasive speech. Not some number crunching. Not that I'm saying number crunching is bad.

dp624

HSC
I think by the end of Year 10 you should know language and eloquence anyways. Year 11 and 12 is just comprehending texts and what they mean using those skills, effectively just refining them. I take back my differentiating comment. A business deal is just a very persuasive speech. Not some number crunching. Not that I'm saying number crunching is bad.
I probably developed most of my eloquence in year 12; basic english is done in years up to 10.

dp624

HSC
Double post;
but yeah dude calm down (or challenge them to a high stakes dota match)

You don't really need english much at uni; probably could get away with year-10 level stuff. Y 11/12 is just extensions of that - perhaps all it'll do is scrape you an D instead of a credit on some assignments.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think by the end of Year 10 you should know language and eloquence anyways. Year 11 and 12 is just comprehending texts and what they mean using those skills, effectively just refining them.
you have got to be kidding me? Its only now that im studying another language that I'm realising how little i learnt about English as a language at school, you are taught practically zero english grammer. As for eloquence, some people spend their entire lives trying trying to figure out how to speak effectivly, and again, you are not taught taught these skills in junior school.

dp624

HSC
Well said my friend, well said! 100% correct

@johony -- it's your personal preference to like English or Maths. Namu actually wants to do well so he puts in effort and you can see by his results that he actually cares, he'll probably end up first in state for Standard English and 3u & 4u maths because of the effort he is putting in.

The point being, do what pleases you and leave others out of it.
Dude, I think it's presumptuous of anyone really to claim that they, or others they know, can do all that stuff. Like, I know namu's really good and all, but he's not a god; maybe his sheer volume of posts is beyond godlike though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)