is industrialisation inevitable? (1 Viewer)

florence92

HSC
hey guys,

need some last minute help/notes on the question regarding if industrialisation is inevitable or not.

thanks.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
hey guys,

need some last minute help/notes on the question regarding if industrialisation is inevitable or not.

thanks.
Industrialisation is the shift from agrarian based (so based on agriculture) economy to one of sustained economic growth following the application of inanimate sources of power to mechanic production.

In terms of being inevitable, it can be argued both ways. Most societies, through the process of globalisation, urbanisation and modernisation, have showed movement towards industrialisation because technology has made it available

But many societies are also rejecting technology or do not actually have sufficient technology and resources to industrialise.

TBH I dont have notes on industrialisation being inevitable, only modernisation and westernisation but that's probably close to what I would write in an exam

tess_gee

HSC
Do you have any examples for this?

For example, my class always use Bhutan to argue against any of the 'big questions'/'processes' - that of Westernisation, Globalisation and Industrialisation.

You can say that industrialisation is closely connected to the parallel processes of westernisation and globalisation, and is thus hard to evade in an ever-developing and reforming world. Like Fluorescent said, certain countries - such as Bhutan, however, have made conscious efforts and decisions to avoid the overwhelming envelopment of industrialisation; which inevitably facilitates and encourages westernisation and globalisation. Today, Bhutan has modernised - lifting its previous ban on television and internet - whilst remaining dualistic. Its economy is both sustained on agricultural/agrarian means, whilst simultaneously generating industrial output - namely in the form of cement and steel.

From this point of view, it can be argued that industrialisation is not totally inevitable - Bhutan's King maintaining that "Gross National Happiness" was/is more important than the industrially charged "Gross National Product". The country has made a pertinent choice to avoid total industrialisation, and consequently westernisation and globalisation, by retaining focus and emphasis on cultural heritage and traditions; including economic sustenance on/from the land.

Hope that helps!

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
I addressed it in an economic method when I did past papers.

The definition states that it is the transition in methods of production that has been responsible for vastly increased wealth-creating capacity of modern society compared with traditional systems. It may refer to manufactuing, agriculture and administration.

In a sense it is not inevitable as suppliers are always looking to increase their output to the market. Particularly looking to address the constant nature of demand in the market. It is obvious that with an increase in output there will be a corresponding increase in revenue, this is under the assumption these transition in methods will be more efficient and productive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)